Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys running and whats your thought on them? I'm thinking of going with a Black Max mini, 4 pipe (from turbo), DFP Delete and AFE air intake. I need better gas mileage (at least that's what I told the wife)

Jason

·
Registered
73 Posts
What are you guys running and whats your thought on them? I'm thinking of going with a Black Max mini, 4 pipe (from turbo), DFP Delete and AFE air intake. I need better gas mileage (at least that's what I told the wife)

Jason
Don't touch any tuner other than a spartan. They can not be beat on the 6.4's. A turbo back dpf delete exhaust will do the trick, I have mbrp on my 6.0 and have been happy.

Also I would not touch the intake! Stock they flow enough and filter better to support simple bolt on parts like your looking for.

For more info I'd sugest looking over at power stroke dot org. Lots of great info over there.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Spartan all the way there is no equal! I have over 90,000 miles on my truck all with the Spartanand I average 18 in town and high 20's on the highway my best ever was 30.3 on the interstate cruise set at 82 for 180 miles. I also use the stock air intake I have a banks RAM air but I get better mileage with the stock one on

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read all good things about the spartan. I'm leaning towards the Black Maxx because it's used a lot around here and it's easier to get help with it. So you guys think I shouldn't bother with an after market air intake then?

Jason

·
Registered
446 Posts
Spartan all the way there is no equal! I have over 90,000 miles on my truck all with the Spartanand I average 18 in town and high 20's on the highway my best ever was 30.3 on the interstate cruise set at 82 for 180 miles. I also use the stock air intake I have a banks RAM air but I get better mileage with the stock one on
:bsflag:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know about his exact numbers, but I one reason I want to do a tuner and the DPF delete is to increase the fuel economy. I don't see how burning more diesel can be any better for the economy then making the truck run more efficiently. Plus when the system is purging itself its pushing 1500 degrees through the turbo to burn out the crap, that can't be good on the turbo either.

Jason

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wasn't directed at you at all, it was the over 30 MPG with cruise set on 82. Spartan does have the 6.4 tuning down. If you are only looking for milage then any tuner will work, just make sure its no DPF friendly if you are getting rid of it. Careful though, diesel power is addicting and you will want more and more power. :rofl3:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what you mean. My brother-in-law has a dodge with a ton of money in it. It's in the shop right now getting a twin turbo setup. Course he's gone through 2 built transmissions now. I'll probably run mine on the 210 setup. I've read that gives good mileage and performance. I'm leaning towards the black maxx mainly cause you can change your tunes on the fly, where as with the spartan you have to stop and load each tune.

Wasn't directed at you at all, it was the over 30 MPG with cruise set on 82. Spartan does have the 6.4 tuning down. If you are only looking for milage then any tuner will work, just make sure its no DPF friendly if you are getting rid of it. Careful though, diesel power is addicting and you will want more and more power. :rofl3:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Out here where I live we still have a smog test on diesel's also. So how do you pass a smog check with a DPF delete exhaust? I'm interested on getting better gas mileage on my 2008 6.4 since I'm averaging around 12 mpg.:rollfinger:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out here where I live we still have a smog test on diesel's also. So how do you pass a smog check with a DPF delete exhaust? I'm interested on getting better gas mileage on my 2008 6.4 since I'm averaging around 12 mpg.:rollfinger:
We'll have to wait to here from others on here, we don't have smog tests :) How often do you have to do them? could do the test, switch out the good stuff and keep the emissions stuff on the shelf for the next test?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm leaning towards the black maxx mainly cause you can change your tunes on the fly, where as with the spartan you have to stop and load each tune.
You don't want to change your tunes on the fly with the Ford tranny. It doesn't "learn" quickly and will probably grenade itself trying under big power.

Dave

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm leaning towards the black maxx mainly cause you can change your tunes on the fly, where as with the spartan you have to stop and load each tune.
You don't want to change your tunes on the fly with the Ford tranny. It doesn't "learn" quickly and will probably grenade itself trying under big power.

Dave
You are right even with the 210 tune it will take your tranny some time to learn how to shift with it and feel right. I would get he spartan they are hands down the best for the 6.4. Check powerstrokenation.com lots of good info and people.

·
Registered
706 Posts
No bs your welcome to come drive it anytime. It's repeatable over and over again I drive it plenty. It's a 2009 f-350 crew cab and if you drive as many miles as I do you would be well aware of your fuel mileage too

·
Registered
160 Posts
We'll have to wait to here from others on here, we don't have smog tests :) How often do you have to do them? could do the test, switch out the good stuff and keep the emissions stuff on the shelf for the next test?
Nevada went fishing for money.:rm_thumbdown: Diesel vehicles up to 14,000 pounds require testing as of July 1, 2009. This applies to all initial registrations and renewals regardless of any expiration date.
So now it's an annual inspection. Not sure I want to keep changing the exhaust each year to pass emissions.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Spartan FTW! I had it on my 6.4L and ran the 275hp tune for over 40,000 miles with no issues. It also dynoed at 560rwhp with that tune :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
No bs your welcome to come drive it anytime. It's repeatable over and over again I drive it plenty. It's a 2009 f-350 crew cab and if you drive as many miles as I do you would be well aware of your fuel mileage too
Are you getting this info from the Lie-O-Meter or are you hand calculating?

OP, Why did you ask our opinion about the tuner and when everyone suggested the Spartan you stuck with your original choice? Why even ask?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why are you coming down on me? I asked people about tuners, they have answered, I haven't said anything rude about it? Someone early asked me about why I would choose the Black Maxx, I answered. Mainly, that's the unit that gets used around here mostly, so there's a pretty good sized support group for questions. More then anything else I wanted some feed back on what if any issues people have ran into after the tuner was installed. One guy mentioned not to go with an afermarket air intake, I'd like to hear more on that. I have read where guys who just added the air intake were throwing codes. I've also read to stick with a 4" exhaust instead of the 5" unless you're planning on running the 300+ tunes. Personally, I'm worried about what the bigger tunes will do to a transmission.

Are you getting this info from the Lie-O-Meter or are you hand calculating?

OP, Why did you ask our opinion about the tuner and when everyone suggested the Spartan you stuck with your original choice? Why even ask?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not coming down on you, just wondering why you would ask when you already had your mind made up. I see this all the time and I usally just shake my head but I guess I didn't get my coffee or midol this morning, sorry.

If you have questions about supporting mods and their compatiblity you might try a more specific forum such as PSN (Powerstroke Nation) the "org" (Powerstroke.org), CompD (Competition diesel), or any of the others. Not baggin' on you just giving you more options.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts