Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been thinking. I have the stock air box and I am running a snorkel with a UNI filter on it and an Outerwears sock on it as well. I routinely get into mud and water above my stock filter. So what I was looking at and wondering is that maybe I could remove the entire stock filter and box, put a 45/90 elbow in the intake tube and connect it to my snorkel and leave the other filters in place. This would eliminate the chance of me getting water in the filter box (havent yet, but scared I will) and would also still provide filtering. What do you think?

Heres the current setup...

H

·
0 Posts
Am i understanding you are running a uni and the stock filter on the engine intake? Are you running the Uni oiled? Your machine doesn't run rich running a double filter set up? For Mud riding I think youd be fine to eliminate the stock filter..probably run better too. I'm not a big fan of any of the cleanable filters for very dusty conditions..but the high location should help even if you did do some dusty riding. Definitely oil the Uni properly if you go that route.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am running both. No it doesnt run rich at all. The UNI is not oiled, but has the outwear on it mainly for the rain (not sure how good it will work) I was thinking it would work, but needed someone to confirm it..

H

·
0 Posts
Yes, I am running both. No it doesnt run rich at all. The UNI is not oiled, but has the outwear on it mainly for the rain (not sure how good it will work) I was thinking it would work, but needed someone to confirm it..
Gotcha..not oiled it probably isnt much too much of a restriction..
I started to mention rain...I think it would be ok for a little light rain but I dont think id trust it in a down pour or extended exposure to rain. When I had a Open filter in the bed on my Turbo set up I made a rain shield to go over the top of the filter. Angling the snorkle opening down very slightly might help keep rain water from getting in too. Have you ridden in the rain with it? If water from rain has gotten in you should know it..doesnt take much to ruin the stock paper filter. As said defintely start using the oil if you run the Uni alone.

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
I would bet "if you have not made adjustments with a programmer" it is running rich.

Have you have put it on a Dyno and tested the Exhaust Gases?

Also not a fan of the restriction screens you have on the intake and exhaust of the CVT, they need to be as free flowing as possible.

A few years back we tried running the snorkels with some Outerwears and through out the day the mud and gunk would get on the outerwear's and the belt box would heat up fast. And in reality there is no need for them on the CVT.

As far as the extra UN up above, if you seal up your bottom air box there is no need for it. And we have found they do cause enough restriction that warrants re calibration.

And again as mentioned above about getting wet, out on the Trail, the Mud, rainwater getting the extra Uni wet and covered with mud will cause problems. Just no need for it also. Now a different story if a guy runs his rigs in nothing but Dry Sand Desert.

Try something, take the UNI off, secure the Outerwear back on and start it up, watch it suck the Outerwear in, it is restricting. Just don't let it get sucked in. LOL. We had a guy do just that, and have seen stuff sucked in the air inlet on the factory air inlets also. LOL

H

·
0 Posts
I agree the extra filter is likely causing it to run rich with stock programming..maybe just not enough to notice drivability wise.

And you have a good point I think about getting rid of the Uni vs getting rid of the stock filter box..think that might be a matter of what is need to to give him the warm and fuzzy about the box being water tight and how that will effect the ease of servicing the filter. I'd have to see how he has it set up but I would think that the stock box lid should be water tight if it's in good condition. Does the problem lie in how you have it connected to the snorkel..is that what you are concerned about leaking? Personally I like the idea of leaving the stock box maybe with a K and N drop in and Outerwears just incase a little water gets in..wouldn't do much dusty riding with a K and N though.
I would bet "if you have not made adjustments with a programmer" it is running rich.

Have you have put it on a Dyno and tested the Exhaust Gases?

Also not a fan of the restriction screens you have on the intake and exhaust of the CVT, they need to be as free flowing as possible.

A few years back we tried running the snorkels with some Outerwears and through out the day the mud and gunk would get on the outerwear's and the belt box would heat up fast. And in reality there is no need for them on the CVT.

As far as the extra UN up above, if you seal up your bottom air box there is no need for it. And we have found they do cause enough restriction that warrants re calibration.

And again as mentioned above about getting wet, out on the Trail, the Mud, rainwater getting the extra Uni wet and covered with mud will cause problems. Just no need for it also. Now a different story if a guy runs his rigs in nothing but Dry Sand Desert.

Try something, take the UNI off, secure the Outerwear back on and start it up, watch it suck the Outerwear in, it is restricting. Just don't let it get sucked in. LOL. We had a guy do just that, and have seen stuff sucked in the air inlet on the factory air inlets also. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts