Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
4,456 Posts
Anyone run larger tires on the back than the front and if so, what is the reason or advantage? It appears that larger tires or a lift kit on the back would allow you to see better over the hood.
Taller on the rear but not the front would be a bad idea because of the way the awd system operates.

· Registered
4,456 Posts
I never asked but do you have the Fox Podium shocks on your rzr?

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I never asked but do you have the Fox Podium shocks on your rzr?
yes I have those shocks. I was looking at 2" lift kits which are quite simple. They are a triangle bracket that mounts at the bottom of the shock on the upper A-arm. I watched some youtube videos on them and doesnt look like you can get 2". The angle must be deceiving on a photo. Anyways, I heard some people talk about those types of design causing issues because of the angle that it puts on tires. They complained about premature wear on wheel bearings.

· Registered
4,456 Posts
yes I have those shocks. I was looking at 2" lift kits which are quite simple. They are a triangle bracket that mounts at the bottom of the shock on the upper A-arm. I watched some youtube videos on them and doesnt look like you can get 2". The angle must be deceiving on a photo. Anyways, I heard some people talk about those types of design causing issues because of the angle that it puts on tires. They complained about premature wear on wheel bearings.
If you have stock axles I would stay away from that type of lift. They allow the tires/a-arms to drop lower than they would stock. And the axle cv joint will bind up. It doesn't take much extra droop to make them bind. If you are dead set on doing a lift kit then I would only suggest the RT Pro. I know they won't cause binding. But again their spring kit is really a better investment in my opinion. I've read that the RT Pro medium rates are pretty close to the same ride as the stock springs before they get all sagged out. But offer much better bottom out resistance. They do cost more than a lift but I've went down both roads and would do springs 1st if I had it to do over again. As for the wheel bearing wear, I really can't see how a lift kit is gonna make any difference either way. High offset wheels are wheel bearing killers.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
But again their spring kit is really a better investment in my opinion. I've read that the RT Pro medium rates are pretty close to the same ride as the stock springs before they get all sagged out.
When you choose replacing springs over a lift kit, how do you know how much lift you will be getting with the new springs? Isnt the lift with springs have to do how much you adjust them?

· Registered
540 Posts

· Registered
4,456 Posts
When you choose replacing springs over a lift kit, how do you know how much lift you will be getting with the new springs? Isnt the lift with springs have to do how much you adjust them?
Here was mine with oem springs set to recommended preload

And here it was with the RT Pro heavy rate springs with 1/4" preload

I'm thinking it was just over 2" lift if I remember correctly. With the lift kit and oem springs it was around 1 1/2" of lift. And I still had to max out the spring preload.

· Registered
4,456 Posts
If you put the preload to the recommended oem height with the oem springs then swap to the RT Pro medium springs with no preload I think you should get 1 1/2" or so of lift. The you can add preload if you need more lift. And you should still have a better ride than a lift kit and oem springs. But if you are really worried about the amount of lift, you can get both springs and lift together its alittle cheaper than buying them separately.

· Registered
321 Posts
Addressing the need for upgraded clutch or not.
My 2012 800-4 still has the stock clutch (as far as I know) and had 30” mud tires on it when I bought it and shortly after I switched to 15” rims and elcheapo 31” LT tires and performance was fine both in mud and rock crawling and street riding. I smoked one belt but that was my fault trying to do a burnout on dry asphalt in high gear. (thought I was in low)

Clearance will be a separate issue of course.

2012 800-4
Canyon Lake TX

· Registered
4,456 Posts
Addressing the need for upgraded clutch or not.
My 2012 800-4 still has the stock clutch (as far as I know) and had 30” mud tires on it when I bought it and shortly after I switched to 15” rims and elcheapo 31” LT tires and performance was fine both in mud and rock crawling and street riding. I smoked one belt but that was my fault trying to do a burnout on dry asphalt in high gear. (thought I was in low)

Clearance will be a separate issue of course.

2012 800-4
Canyon Lake TX
I agree. The biggest difference I noticed with a clutch kit was much better acceleration. I must admit though I do miss that improved acceleration since I switched to my Duraclutch. But it was worth the trade off.

Reactions: scubadnv
21 - 31 of 31 Posts