Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Technically you can run whatever size tire that will fit on your machine. But the bigger/heavier the tire the more performance you will loose. Is your machine a trail model(50" wide)? Or is it a "S" model 60" wide? That will make a difference in how big of tire will physically fit on the machine without modification. As for clutching how do you ride? Slow trail riding? Fast paced trails? Flat out wide open all the machine will run riding? Again that will determine whether you would benefit from a clutch kit or a completely different clutch system.

Reactions: Trailwolverine

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I ran 29.5 ol2 tires on my old 800s. But had a lift.

Reactions: Clothier

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your machine a trail model(50" wide)? Or is it a "S" model 60" wide? That will make a difference in how big of tire will physically fit on the machine without modification. As for clutching how do you ride? Slow trail riding? Fast paced trails? Flat out wide open all the machine will run riding?
I have a RZR 800 S model. I do mostly slow trail riding, mud and water but I dont look for it, it finds me.
I dont have a lift kit on it but was considering installing it. I was only considering 27" tires because I saw some sales and when I go to Polaris parts website, the parts list say 27" and I noticed my tires were 26". I bought the bike used and the owner told me everything was stock. It had 2000 miles on it. I was reading stuff that said if you go larger tires, not wider, that you will have to modify or change the clutch. I was wondering if 27 inch tires would require a new clutch.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I have a RZR 800 S model. I do mostly slow trail riding, mud and water but I dont look for it, it finds me.
I dont have a lift kit on it but was considering installing it. I was only considering 27" tires because I saw some sales and when I go to Polaris parts website, the parts list say 27" and I noticed my tires were 26". I bought the bike used and the owner told me everything was stock. It had 2000 miles on it. I was reading stuff that said if you go larger tires, not wider, that you will have to modify or change the clutch. I was wondering if 27 inch tires would require a new clutch.
Oddly some 800 S models came with 26" Bighorns, some came with 27" ITP'S and some of the 2014 models came with 27" Bighorns. So going to 27's should not be an issue at all. Even 28's would prolly be fine with your riding style. I have seen some of the oem 29" bighorns from the xp1000's measure out to 28 1/4" to 28 1/2", you may even be able to run those without any modifications. Just remember the lighter the tire the better for performance. I would think anything bigger would require forward and rearward a-arms.

Reactions: Trailwolverine

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oddly some 800 S models came with 26" Bighorns, some came with 27" ITP'S
Thanks for the information. The 26" tires on my bike are Bighorns. Like you implied, If I going to 27" I would probably not even notice a difference in performance since I go slow. If Polaris used 27" tires, there must have been a reason. Perhaps I would have increased performance in the mud.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm running Tusk 28x14 Terrabites with no lift but I do have aftermarket springs that give me an inch or so lift, could get more lift at the cost of ride quality. I had a lift which hated due to the ride quality and very little extra lift. I recommend better springs and no lift. Remember the tire size is not always and rarely what is stated on the tire, usually shorter, mine are actually about 27.5 inches. I do mostly trail riding, rarely anything above 40mph. I also installed the Dura-Clutch which I really like due to the engine braking and barely the need to use the brakes. I did run the Dalton clutch kit which is tunable but prefer the Dura-Clutch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm running 28" Maxzillas on my 2014 800s. That was the lightest 28 inch tire I could find. I also have the Racer Tech lift and Super Atv control arms with 1.5 forward and back. I also have a Dalton clutch kit along with a full yoshi exhaust and a Dyno Jet fuel controller. I don't feel like I've lost any performance. Runs very strong.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I'm running 28" Maxzillas on my 2014 800s. That was the lightest 28 inch tire I could find. I also have the Racer Tech lift and Super Atv control arms with 1.5 forward and back. I also have a Dalton clutch kit along with a full yoshi exhaust and a Dyno Jet fuel controller. I don't feel like I've lost any performance. Runs very strong.
I would think you could run 28’s with out a lift or any clutch work. Again I ran 29.5’ in thick mud no clutch work. New springs would help get some height.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm running Tusk 28x14 Terrabites with no lift but I do have aftermarket springs that give me an inch or so lift, could get more lift at the cost of ride quality. I had a lift which hated due to the ride quality and very little extra lift. I recommend better springs and no lift.
When you installed aftermarket springs, did the ride quality stay the same? What type of springs did you buy? The previous owner of my RZR increased the clearance by adjusting my shocks, i.e. compressing the springs. I changed the spring adjustment back to specs in the book, but I did not like the ride. It was too bouncy and I did not like the low clearance. I adjusted them back up for higher clearance. I was afraid I would bottom out also. I had a friend who had an RZR and bottomed out and hurt his back. I always wondered how to get high clearance but at the same time get a comfortable ride. I though lift kits would be the answer, but now I am not sure.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My RZR4-800 has the factory Fox 2.0 with RacerTech progressive springs. The ride did stiffen up a bit but the original ride was like being on a marshmallow, a roasted one, really soft. I don't know what the ride would be like on a two seater with 2.0 shocks. My brother put Phantom pros on his from Super ATV and they seem to be doing well for him.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
My RZR4-800 has the factory Fox 2.0 with RacerTech progressive springs. The ride did stiffen up a bit but the original ride was like being on a marshmallow, a roasted one, really soft. I don't know what the ride would be like on a two seater with 2.0 shocks. My brother put Phantom pros on his from Super ATV and they seem to be doing well for him.
He should have the Podium 1.5" shocks on a 2013 "S".

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I had the RT Pro heavy rates on my "S". They were a bit stiffer than stock, but not uncomfortable. But we carry so much weight, I have since done some spring swapping. I'm now running the rear RT Pro 350lb main springs on the front with the RT Pro 900lb upper springs vs the 300lb mains. In the rear I ran 400lb Eibach mains with the RT Pro 900lb uppers for awhile but recently swapped to 500lb mains. Don't have any real ride time on this new rear setup yet, just testing in the field around my house but so far so good. As long as you add up how much weight you will truly be carrying in the rzr and get the recommended weight spring setup it will be an improvement over the stock springs. You may loose alittle plushness, but the difference in handling and carrying capability is worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Technically you can run whatever size tire that will fit on your machine. But the bigger/heavier the tire the more performance you will loose.
Anyone run larger tires on the back than the front and if so, what is the reason or advantage? It appears that larger tires or a lift kit on the back would allow you to see better over the hood.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts