Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting s&s roller camshaft in my rzr. I have billet stroker crankshaft with holz camshaft so im having tough time figuring how much longer then stock pushrods are for stroker crank because holz lifters are a little bit shorter where the pushrod sits then stock. tried to measure and looks like holz lifters would take a .050 longer pushrod then stock and then if you mic the the 2 base gaskets and spacer its .075 which gets you to a 8.375 pushrod. so im wondering if i need to just add .075 to my s&s pushrod length?only thing that seems weird is 1st base gasket was already there with stock stroke so why add that .012 to push rod again?why wouldnt it just be .062 thickness of 1 gasket and shim?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
did the same thing,s&s cam with stroker crank,used dragon fires adjustable high ratio rocker arms to take up difference,works great ,but rocker arm nuts barley hit valve cover,barley,but caused ticking sound for a few minutes,so a little clearancing /grinding of valve cover right above where the nuts are cant hurt,or you can get adjustable push rods from ricochet racing,s&s says to adjust till half the "play" in the lifter is gone, bring cam to base circle of lifter to be adjusted,adjust from loose to where you just feel drag when turning pushrod,push rocker arm down by hand till free play gone then adjust about half way in between,s&s says there pretty tolerant as far as adjustment goes and this method works fine

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did the same thing,s&s cam with stroker crank,used dragon fires adjustable high ratio rocker arms to take up difference,works great ,but rocker arm nuts barley hit valve cover,barley,but caused ticking sound for a few minutes,so a little clearancing /grinding of valve cover right above where the nuts are cant hurt,or you can get adjustable push rods from ricochet racing,s&s says to adjust till half the "play" in the lifter is gone, bring cam to base circle of lifter to be adjusted,adjust from loose to where you just feel drag when turning pushrod,push rocker arm down by hand till free play gone then adjust about half way in between,s&s says there pretty tolerant as far as adjustment goes and this method works fine
thanks just the info i needed. do you think s&s camshaft makes more power? i have 2 rzr"s 1 with stock bore high compression \ported head\and s&s cam which is a touch faster then the holz motor thats why im trying s&s cam and a different ported head. both have same muzzy exhaust and tire size

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eli -- You missed the point he's making and understanding my response.

He's substituted a flat tappet style lifter in place of the kit's roller lifter. IF -- He would of used the kit's included roller hydraulic lifters -- Then I would of suggested the correct length pushrod for that stroked motor.

:ride:
no did not swap lifters useing s&s roller lifters

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres the easy way to ask what i need to know added .050 shim under cylinder should pushrod be .050 longer? i would think so but when measuring the holz pushrods they added .075 thats what i dont understand.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
the s&s camshaft's timing events are much different than any other aftermarket cam,for good reason they know how/about making power in twins with undersized long ports,so yes these make more power than any other rzr cam,all the others just use more lift and duration at basically stock timing events,which is what 90% of aftermarket cams do,which raises peak h.p. but costs you torque,almost no one actually takes the time,effort,and money involved to dyno test different timing events,they just add lift and separate lobes for a torquer cam,raise lift and duration for more peak power,and that naturally brings cam center closer together for higher r.pm. horse power s&s has software that simulates air flow on twins and it takes into consideration port/valve size and length,most others do not! as well as a s... load of experience with this long small port type. I was porting heads in the 70's and or company had about the first flow bench out there,and we found out on the dyno bigger holes and higher flow numbers don't necessarily mean more h.p., shape of port and radius of curves much more important,our head porter invented the D shaped exhaust port on small block chevy heads for jim hall (google jim hall) and now that's how there all made,most people do as much harm as good when porting,which leads to my next point. Bigger valves on an 800 are a waste of money! unless you open ports up so much you'll have to weld the water jackets back up,one of the guys that does a lot of porting for rzr heads for other unnamed companies has dyno"d it both ways and a good valve pocket job and a little clean up flows as well and makes the same power as a big valve port job,and hes told them so but people don't want to hear it! if you google porting you'll even find that with the 4 valve double overhead cam engines some people are actually making the ports smaller for more power/flow,sorry to babble but trying to spread the truth about 1 that most cams just add lift and duration and never look/adjust timing events on the cam properly,and the bigger is better port myths,it's more about shape,which is why intake tracts have been getting straighter for years,anyone who takes material off the bottom of a intake port is screwing it up! Now as to push rod length measure your s&s push rods and add the length of your total base shim thickness and you'll be fine ,but if your turbo'd ,or bored and stroked the extra lift of the dragonfire rockers are worth a few extra ponies with that camand I'm waiting/welcome an argument to my above statements, but you better have dyno numbers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fully understand the head porting and stock valve my other head is stock valve and smaller ports then holz head tried both heads on both motors and small head made more power down low holz head acted more like two stroke motor. talked to the guy that ported my head and he explained it the same way.also said that the reason these guys are doing bigger valves and opening heads so big is because most people are worried about top speed not about torque and power off a corner which is what i want i dont care about straight away speed

·
RZR55
207 Posts
drvacation

are the rockers you are talking about the roller tip dragonfire ones if so are they worth the money right now i have a stock s cam but looking to put the s&s cam in this winter not sure it would work with the 13.1 pistons and how many "ponies"are we talking i like more ponies :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
fully understand the head porting and stock valve my other head is stock valve and smaller ports then holz head tried both heads on both motors and small head made more power down low holz head acted more like two stroke motor. talked to the guy that ported my head and he explained it the same way.also said that the reason these guys are doing bigger valves and opening heads so big is because most people are worried about top speed not about torque and power off a corner which is what i want i dont care about straight away speed
who did your stockk 800 head porting/using stock size valves? I got a bigbore/stroke engine, 2012 model so head mybe different than yours, should be about true 850cc, looking for someone to port head over winter, maybe try fitthe Holz billet 08-10 manifod to my 2012 head or have me a manifold made whether from billet or sheetmetal alum, like racecars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts