Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can't pull start it in the sense of having someone tow you. The clutch system just does not work like that.

However, I always wondered in case of an emergency if a guy could pull the clutch cover off and wrap a short piece of rope around the primary clutch and pull start it like that. I remember some old snowmobiles used to have a backup starting method like that.

What are everyones thoughts? Has anyone tried this? I realize it is not the safest thing to do, but if you were stuck in the boonies and your starter crapped out it may get you back home.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You can't pull start it in the sense of having someone tow you. The clutch system just does not work like that.

However, I always wondered in case of an emergency if a guy could pull the clutch cover off and wrap a short piece of rope around the primary clutch and pull start it like that. I remember some old snowmobiles used to have a backup starting method like that.

What are everyones thoughts? Has anyone tried this? I realize it is not the safest thing to do, but if you were stuck in the boonies and your starter crapped out it may get you back home.
Yes, someone has started one by wrapping a tow strap around the clutch and pull starting it. There's a YouTube video floating around of it, not the safest but will work in a pinch. I believe it was an XP in the video.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thats exactly what I envisioned, a nice flat nylon strap wrapped around about 3 times or so and give it a quick yank...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have never tried it on my razor but I have started my 800 Tripple snowmobile with just my hand spinning the clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts