Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 RzR S
Note: The rzr is not at my house right now so I have to relay info or wait until tomorrow to test.
A friend installed the HID's tonight for me. After he got everything hooked up, he tested them out. They are "bright as &*#$, but the passenger side cuts off after about 3/4 seconds." The way he described the wiring was: Lights>ballasts>relay>switch>battery. (at least that's how I understood him). I trust his knowledge of wiring things correctly as he used to install stereos for a living in his former years. Any idea what would cause the passenger light to not stay on?

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
Have him flip the switch off and back on real quick a few times to see if that does it. Mine did the same thing when you first turned them on. After a few months they just flat refused to light both no matter what I did. I ended up having to go back to stock halogen bulbs to have some lights.

And make sure he has the engine running.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i just installed the 55 watt kit from DDM tunning took me a while to figure it out but I had to cut off the factory light hookup and wire them that way they work fine the few times ive tested them out is the factory wiring really too small?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could be a defective bulb or ballast also. Take the bulbs and swap sides. If the problem follows the swap, then you have a bad bulb. If it stays on the same side, the ballast would be the problem.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I will start with the bulbs and go from there. I think it will be a relay/wire issue from what I have been reading. I am planning to head over later today to work some. I am still waiting on some parts to come in before I can begin putting it all back together.

·
Registered
341 Posts
There are two types of hid ballasts. One style has external igniters inline and the other style has them inside the ballast housing. Sounds like your igniters both work but one of the ballasts is malfunctioning. The bulb is probably fine too since it ignites initially, Like stated, swap the bulbs to see if the problem follows. I have never had any issues with the factory wiring or needed a relay. I did however use a relay to keep the high beams on with the low beams on my 2012. I had a 30" bar for high beam using the factory hi/lo switch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you think there is a problem with the factory switch/wiring then disconnect the working side and try powering up just the side that is shutting off. If it was a voltage issue then the single side should power up. I suspect a ballast or bulb issue. I sell all of my kits without relays and they work fine through the factory switch/wiring.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have 55w VVME HIDs and they would flicker through the factory wiring at first then one would go off. If i revved up the motor they would both come on. After installing a relay they come right on with motor off. Maybe one brand of ballast is more efficient than the next or something but in my case the HIDs didn't work for crap without the relay.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it was a simple fix. It was a lack of proper power. All but one time, he tested them without the RZR running. There is not enough power from the battery to keep both ballasts running with the ignition off. Cranked it up. let it run for a minute, turned lights on, and they stayed on! He was like "WTF did you do, you messed with something". It was amusing. We got all wires ran, ballasts secured. We got a lot of other stuff done too, for another build thread.
Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts