Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take a look at the video. I need some advice on removing the primary sheave.
It's on there pretty tight and my impact isn't cutting it. I'm concerned about how much the puller tool can take before stripping the threads.
I also have this as part of my original thread for the upgrades. Just trying to get some help soon. I am going to the Badlands park again this Saturday
and would like to have the new kit in for the trip.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,685 Posts
Use a good bit of grease on the very tip of the puller / inside the crank, tighten the tool down by hand as far as you can ( I don’t like using an impact, and advise against it ), and then hit the end of the puller with a hammer a few times ( directly in line with the tool, toward the crank ), a dead blow hammer would be best, but it can sometimes take a good shot from a small sledge to get it off, especially the first time.

Side note, you can change the weights and spring without pulling the clutch off the machine, just pull the 6 bolts on the cover and you can slide the sheave far enough to access the weights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use a good bit of grease on the very tip of the puller / inside the crank, tighten the tool down by hand as far as you can ( I don’t like using an impact, and advise against it ), and then hit the end of the puller with a hammer a few times ( directly in line with the tool, toward the crank ), a dead blow hammer would be best, but it can sometimes take a good shot from a small sledge to get it off, especially the first time.

Side note, you can change the weights and spring without pulling the clutch off the machine, just pull the 6 bolts on the cover and you can slide the sheave far enough to access the weights.
I thought about that, but didn't know if it work because the tool is threaded into the clutch. I'll give it a shot when I get home from work later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Literally had this problem yesterday, put a bunch of grease in the hole and put some Teflon tape on my puller and it acted like a hydraulic hammer and popped off.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Literally had this problem yesterday, put a bunch of grease in the hole and put some Teflon tape on my puller and it acted like a hydraulic hammer and popped off.

When you say a bunch, do you mean to pack it full?

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is guy on YouTube if you search “stuck rzr primary clutch” that shows you how to do it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to wait until after Saturday's ride. Just in case I mess something up during the process.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, this is not going well at all. I pumped enough grease in there that it was squishing out of the hole when I put the pin in. Still hasn’t popped loose.

Any more ideas? Am I doing something wrong here? The only thing holding the primary on is the 21 mm hex bolt and the spindle taper, right?

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,685 Posts
Have you tried warming the machine up to operating temp and then trying to pull the clutch? Or using a heat gun to heat the central part of the clutch? Just a shot in the dark really....the grease and hammer method usually gets it done without much problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some
Have you tried warming the machine up to operating temp and then trying to pull the clutch? Or using a heat gun to heat the central part of the clutch? Just a shot in the dark really....the grease and hammer method usually gets it done without much problem
Someone thought that I may not have put enough grease in, and that there may be a void filling up, causing me to not get the hydraulic pressure I was hoping for.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,685 Posts
Some

Someone thought that I may not have put enough grease in, and that there may be a void filling up, causing me to not get the hydraulic pressure I was hoping for.
If it's oozing out of the hole you should have more than enough, I literally just dip the end of my puller in a grease tub and it's worked every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts