Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my xp at the sand dunes today and was driving how I normally do (fast) and it was running great. Then it stopped and when I restarted it (left in gear) it jerked forward with the starter. Then I ran fine.

Later that days i started it in park and when I pulled it into low->high it jerked forward in each gear. I tapped the throttle wondering why it was pulling when there was no throttle and would otherwise normally sit still. Then it seemed to run fine again.

Its got probably 800 miles now and I've never looked at my belt. Is this a sign It might be time for a replacement? Or is there something else going on here?

Thanks in advance.

·
RZR Junky.....
2,718 Posts
That is what my buddies did when the bearing on the clutch locked up. This was on a 800, so something may be different. Pull the cvt cover.

Drew

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
one way bearing is going out.

·
Premium Member
41,100 Posts
I'd check your bearing and spider in the primary... There have been numerous reports of the spider jam nut becoming loose...

·
Registered
155 Posts
replace that bearing before it goes or you will have to buy a new primary!! bearing 20$$ primary 500$$ being able to ride your rzr priceless!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is on a 12 xp, didn't think they had bearing issues. But I will probably change it to be sure. I imagine once it's out I'd be able to feel slop or catching in it if it's out?

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you sucked sand into your belt housing it can also get into your clutches and cause them to have trouble moving. Had a friend with that issue, his was a Commander 1000X but same kinda problem. A good cleanout in there may solve your problem. Nice then about an XP you can take your cover off and wash out in there really good and let it dry and then test it on pavement with the cover off to make sure it fixed it before putting the cover back on.

H

·
0 Posts
As said check that the primary center bearing spins free..check the rollers that the weights ride on for flat spots..check the spider nut as Tim stated. Also before you remove the belt look at the alignment the belt shouldn't sit close to center of the primary. If a mount broke or loosened it could throw off the aligment causing the belt to drag on a sheave.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Nice then about an XP you can take your cover off and wash out in there really good and let it dry and then test it on pavement with the cover off to make sure it fixed it before putting the cover back on.
Just be sure to remove the cover seal before you go ripping around much with the cover off. They tend to come out and get processed. Cost $26.00

H

·
0 Posts
Nice then about an XP you can take your cover off and wash out in there really good and let it dry and then test it on pavement with the cover off to make sure it fixed it before putting the cover back on.
Just be sure to remove the cover seal before you go ripping around much with the cover off. They tend to come out and get processed. Cost $26.00
Yep good looking out, been there done that and I knew better just forgot to remove it. Since then I now add a thin bead of silicone to the seal groove and reinstall the seal the first time the cover comes off. Havent lost one since.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just pulled my belt off and the primary bearing rolls fine. But it seems to have 1/8th inch play side to side, is this normal?

Also I accidentally chipped a roller pulling my belt off. I've attached a picture of it, do I need to replace it?

I also took some video of the bearing ill try to post up.

I appreciate any help offered and hope this topic can help others new to cvt too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the primary during revs. A lot of dust and dirt came flying out a you can most likely see. I sprayed it with water and wonder if I need to put lube or Teflon on anything?

·
Registered
256 Posts
You should never run a CVT primary with no belt...it is very hard on your cam arms.
all that debris flying out may have something to do with your issues. Check the filter on the passenger side box to ensure it is sealed properly. sometimes a stick may poke the fiber and dislodge it, allowing coarse dirt/debris to get sucked into your clutch housing.

H

·
0 Posts
Play in the center bearing is normal..more concerning to me is what sounds like play in the movable sheave? When you grabbed the clutch at the end and rocked it..that noise..sounded like the movable sheave was moving in and out by hand? Or was the entire crank moving? Hard to tell watching on my phone. It should be under spring tension and not easily move. I dont have a stock spring in mine to comapare..but i want to say the spring should be compressed enough static that the sheave won't move easily by hand..if it felt like "play"..ie no resistance..it's definitely not right and maybe you have a bad/collapsed primary spring. I'd pull it and measure free length and compare it to spec.
Personally I'd replace the roller..why wonder if it's going to propegate a crack and fail. Lesson learned..be careful with the tool.

Edit..just watched the 2nd vid..definitely check the spring..primary is already closing at idle assuming it was at idle at the beginning..You can see that a little of the shaft is exposed because the movable sheave has moved in..at idle it should look like it does with the machine off..providing your idle RPM is not real high..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will try to post some pictures of what happens when your clutch is doing what you are describing. Mine did it and I kept on riding. It was a bushihng that ended up siezing on the shaft and eventualy came out. I thought I just blew a belt and no big deal. Not the case. That $10 bushing and not stopping cost me $1100 in a new primary, secondary and belt. My primary cracked in half on the back sheave and knocked a big chunk out of it and my secondary also split. After the repair, I found out that the metal running around in my clutch housing cut it up and now leaks in several spots. So add another $150 to the bill. I was told by the dealer that it was belt rubber on the bushing that caused it to stick and as the primary worked, it worked the bushing right out. They had seen it before, but caught it before any further damage was done. I was not so lucky.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Play in the center bearing is normal..more concerning to me is what sounds like play in the movable sheave? When you grabbed the clutch at the end and rocked it..that noise..sounded like the movable sheave was moving in and out by hand? Or was the entire crank moving? Hard to tell watching on my phone.
Actually, it felt pretty tight, I believe that clunk was the entire crank. It felt really solid and nothing moved that I could feel. But I did notice the clunk too and thought it was coming from inside bearing.

It should be under spring tension and not easily move. I dont have a stock spring in mine to comapare..but i want to say the spring should be compressed enough static that the sheave won't move easily by hand..if it felt like "play"..ie no resistance..it's definitely not right and maybe you have a bad/collapsed primary spring. I'd pull it and measure free length and compare it to spec.
Personally I'd replace the roller..why wonder if it's going to propegate a crack and fail. Lesson learned..be careful with the tool.

Edit..just watched the 2nd vid..definitely check the spring..primary is already closing at idle assuming it was at idle at the beginning..You can see that a little of the shaft is exposed because the movable sheave has moved in..at idle it should look like it does with the machine off..providing your idle RPM is not real high..
I will pull the primary clutch. After I read this I went back out to see where it was. Before I could really see, the seal fell out and got "processed" by the clutch. I think there is some behind the primary now. Although I was warned that could happen, I thought it would be okay just sitting there not driving... that's what I get for thinking...:sad:

So I will pull it in the next couple of days and probably just take it apart to see how things are 'going' and to actually figure out how these work. Maybe I'll just order a clutch kit and put it back it, but I'm not sure if a clutch kit would do anything for a stock bike. (hoping to put a turbo in this winter).

Unfortunately, I do not know what 'healthy' parts look like so i will be hoping to see something that 'just don't look right' when I get it apart. Oh yeah, and order me a new seal. Anyone know of a good vendor to buy one of those?

Highoctane, whre is the 'roller? I would rather learn from everyone else's bad fortune than make my own....

And ScottG, I would LOVE to see your pics. Might give me an idea of where I am when I get mine apart.

Off to look for seals now....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts