Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a thought pop into my head... what do you think Polaris is going to do with the Trail and Rock moving forward? Move it over to the Pro-XP platform?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Pro R just left the TRE way behind. But seriously I doubt they’d move TRE over into the pro r category. The 64” wide restrictions places have will keep this model around the way it sits I believe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I meant redesigning it around the 64" Pro XP chassis?
Oh ok I got you now. I was assuming the Pro R chassis since it dropped yesterday. I’d like to see them do it for sure, because right now at the new TRE price, it’s not close to worth what they’re asking imo. They’ll have to change it or it’ll get scraped because of low volume.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Watching the videos from Polaris, the new Pro R is a game changer. It's a SWEET machine!!!!!

16" clearance. In one of the videos, they where mentioning a lower gear ratio and a 3 setting power mode.

The lowest setting "was for crawling" said it should do 30 in low.

Also the locking front diff.

Wonder if the TRE is going to disappear from the lineup in a couple years.

Hell of a machine. . . . anyone want to spot me 30K? :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I agree, It would seem pointless to continue to build the TRE- Slim the lineup down and make products that Polaris can produce ...maybe on time
The 4 wheel braking is something we have been missing and the Pro R is filling in all the voids, one being, the 4 the seater people have been asking for

I spot ya the $30K Rockymtn5280... but you wont like the interest rates.;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
These new rigs are getting larger all the time. If you have the money and a larger wider trail system for the bigger rigs it might be the right one for you.

Higher prices, more gadgets and they wont go down anything but a full size jeep trail. Likely not fit into many of the toy-haulers either. To me they are full size competition rigs that work best in the desert open areas. There will be a need long term for smaller rigs like the TRE. I still see a lot of 570s, 800s and 900s on the trail. Having fun exploring and not spending a fortune on the biggest fastest thing made is not a bad thing. They are a lot easier to haul to the trail system of choice without needing a race car trailer or full size crawler trailer.

I would love to drive these new rigs all out for a day, but I have no place to use it that justifies such an animal myself. TRE is working well and seems to have a large enough purchase group to be here a while.

·
Registered
473 Posts
People need to wisen up and get off the toy hauler kick if you ask me. Seems like a huge chunk of money for something that limits what you can tow. I won’t even get started on the fact that people are gladly giving up 14ft or so if usable living space for a garage lol.

Motorhome solves all problems, hook up whatever trailer you want and go.

·
Registered
647 Posts
People need to wisen up and get off the toy hauler kick if you ask me. Seems like a huge chunk of money for something that limits what you can tow. I won’t even get started on the fact that people are gladly giving up 14ft or so if usable living space for a garage lol.

Motorhome solves all problems, hook up whatever trailer you want and go.
I get it, but there are good reasons for many options and all work for intended needs. Many people can't afford to start with an RV after purchasing a UTV. I slept in my truck and tents a long time before I could think about an RV purchase.

I used a truck camper for few years with enclosed trailer in tow for toys and race bike. Then I went to 5th wheel with dirt bike on the back bumper rack when I was still racing at a highly competitive level. Then motorhome for 12 years for everything under the sun. Motorhome was great for road trips with family, but I towed my jeep wheels down everywhere. Jeep was my trail rig and family transportation once camp was setup.

Things changed when I decided to get TRE for better access to back country and replace my Jeep. Towed TRE on trailer a while, but lost all advantages of street legal rig in tow for breakdowns or family transportation once setup at camp. Went to truck and trailer with a custom bunk box on trailer for me doing solo trips for 2 years. Then moved to toy-hauler because it seems to be the best all around way to get the job done. It covers all the bases better than other options I'm currently aware of.

Setup camp, unhook truck and drive it anywhere. TRE at camp near trail head ready for my adventures and family has the truck for day use at all times. Room for everyone and my TRE. Allows truck and TRE to be used separately without issues. It's the right tool for me because I'm able to use it for long stretches away from home and family is not without wheels at camp. However, I do question all the options available and I'm willing to try anything else if there is a clear advantage.

Until my TRE or any UTV can obtain street legal status in all states and durability improved enough to be driven anywhere reliably, I need options. It is the best plan for many people who make this a full time effort to enjoy this sport all we can. It's not the answer for everyone, but it is a very good option if you can do it.

I love the fueling station. Having 40 gallons of fuel without dealing with fuel jugs for a 1 or 2 week trip is priceless! Hot shower and a comfortable bed let me spend months away from home in my home on wheels and recover from the day for the next day adventure.

Whatever you do, enjoy your trip and make it as easy as you can so you want to go again and again or stay longer!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think you’ll see the TRE around for a while. As well as the standard XP1K. The Pro XP of course has replaced the XPT lineup. And then the R series RZRs are the mew wide open machines. Which was previously the Turbo S models.

The XP1K and TRE are the budget models now in the 64” segment. The truth of the matter is if you don’t mind the width, the Pro R will stomp the TRE edition in the rocks as well as anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
647 Posts
You got some of that right AJ. However, the TRE has not been replaced by anything. It's not a budget rig at $25K+ for most people either.

Yeap, size matters! Larger rigs can't stomp anything but the brake pedal on narrow mountain trails with ledges. Not fun to be sucking the seat cover off every time you hear rocks falling or rims scraping either.

The big rigs have a place, but can't replace the TRE. I have not seen anything else setup for rocky trails as well as the TRE off the show room floor. But I'm always hoping something better comes along and is built with better quality control and more durable when I'm ready for a new rig.

Who will be the one backing up when you round a corner on the way to camp after dark and meet this guy? :eek:
I wonder if he is thinking about more power or a wider wheelbase is so great about right now.
Not real, but you get the point. Every rig has it's place.
Tire Vehicle Plant Vehicle registration plate Wheel

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You got some of that right AJ. However, the TRE has not been replaced by anything. It's not a budget rig at $25K+ for most people either.

Yeap, size matters! Larger rigs can't stomp anything but the brake pedal on narrow mountain trails with ledges. Not fun to be sucking the seat cover off every time you hear rocks falling or rims scraping either.

The big rigs have a place, but can't replace the TRE. I have not seen anything else setup for rocky trails as well as the TRE off the show room floor. But I'm always hoping something better comes along and is built with better quality control and more durable when I'm ready for a new rig.

Who will be the one backing up when you round a corner on the way to camp after dark and meet this guy? :eek:
I wonder if he is thinking about more power or a wider wheelbase is so great about right now.
Not real, but you get the point. Every rig has it's place.
View attachment 685146
I never said the TRE edition has been replaced. And it is basically in the budget category now as much as I don’t like to admit it either. $25K is a lot less then $45K. Lol.

I see your point about width, but why not just get a 50” wide machine then?

You really think that somehow magically 64” is the perfect width. Nah. I don’t. These new 74” machines are gonna take over in my opinion. 64” is the new 50”. Lol.

·
Registered
647 Posts
AJ, Again you got some of it right. 64 is the new 50.

$45K is past my common sense threshold for any UTV unless it's street legal everywhere. Jeep and Toyota rigs make the Pro and Con common sense list easy at that point. Take one and beat on it. It will still last longer and cost less to own for a decade.

There is no justification for anyone to spend that much unless they have money tree farms and can burn a few of them without feeling bad. That is a short list of folks. Maybe the China Joe people getting that $450K can say, Easy come and Easy go, when spending such cash. I don't see it as reasonable myself.

Need to cross boarder, loose everything and walk back with a pad and pen scribbling words not able to speak. Get the money, free housing, free healthcare, free food and then buy that rig! looks like a solid plan these days.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Lot of customers want the TRE, but in the future that might not be the case. That is true for anything.
Obviously a lot of people want them, or they wouldn’t still be making them. All I’m saying is that I believe that it’s going to take a big hit now that you can step up to a machine that is better in every way imaginable for only $6,000 more. I know someone will say $6k is a lot more, but IMO if the extra up front is too much, then you probably can’t really afford the $26k toy to begin with.

For that $6k you’re getting a heck of a lot more than the TRE has to offer. Don’t get me wrong, out of the box the TRE is ready to take on rock crawling trails while the Pro R may not be perfectly suited for it. But guys like me that are going to upgrade a lot of components as soon as we get it home are going to steer towards the more capable platform IMO.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I think the TRE might just still stick around. More likely because of the width.

Just in the last year, I have seen several trails closed out here in CO for width restrictions. They where "posted" earlier but most people just drove around them or squeezed through. I'll be honest. . . I've done it in years past. Not anymore. They are getting serious out here.

Posts cemented in at exactly 50". Large boulders so you can't cheat and drive around.

Have seen it in AZ as well. Several trails around Sedona with huge steel posts cemented in and no way to "sneak" around.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I think the TRE might just still stick around. More likely because of the width.

Just in the last year, I have seen several trails closed out here in CO for width restrictions. They where "posted" earlier but most people just drove around them or squeezed through. I'll be honest. . . I've done it in years past. Not anymore. They are getting serious out here.

Posts cemented in at exactly 50". Large boulders so you can't cheat and drive around.

Have seen it in AZ as well. Several trails around Sedona with huge steel posts cemented in and no way to "sneak" around.
But the TRE is 64”. If what your saying is true then maybe the 50” segment will gain some popularity back.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have seen this change near South Fork, but what really gets me is all the road closures with fresh gates and signs. Claims of Forest Service working behind gated areas, Conservation, No motorized traffic to include Ebikes or pedal assist! No visible tire tracks so no one is working there and all the roads are well maintained. They have been cutting trees everywhere and logging trucks make roads a nightmare compared to anything we do. Frustrating!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts