Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can't believe that only one other person with a 2020 PRO XP(Ultimate) is experiencing this problem and that there is no definitive answer to the question. 66 hrs, around 1600 miles and it's overheating. Fan isn't coming on. My first concern is that when you drop just about $30k on something, you really shouldn't expect these kind of problems. But they continue to peddle this crap and yet we happily wait for it.......This is nothing new in the Polaris community, but damnit, it's frustrating. So where do I start? What's the common go to? Relay? fan? It's tough to swallow that after spending that kind of money and with just about a week and a half a riding time I need to upgrade springs $900, wheel bearings, $280, brake pads $90, tires $500-$800, intake/charge tube kit $500, possibly a radiator fan $420. And don't even get me started on the B.S. Frog skins material on the intake and clutch boxes that you can only replace the whole assembly on..... I would just one time like to ride it longer than I work on it. Just once. Any help out there!!!????

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
292 Posts
So you bought a used machine and it needs work? Or you bought a new machine, put 1600 miles on it and are complaining that it needs work?

Checj voltage at fan if it isn’t working. Check voltage at relay. Check grounds. Get a service manual and read it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That’s rzr life , any rzr or utv over 1600 miles is gonna need springs and new tires . The 2020 pros you needed to replace charge tube cause it was shit .. Fan I agree with bondoman and at 1600 miles the sensors go out .. I have a 2021 pro ultimate cause there was no way in hell I was buying a 2020 pro , a lot of items needed to be replaced on that bike ..

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
1,488 Posts
Can't believe that only one other person with a 2020 PRO XP(Ultimate) is experiencing this problem and that there is no definitive answer to the question. 66 hrs, around 1600 miles and it's overheating. Fan isn't coming on. My first concern is that when you drop just about $30k on something, you really shouldn't expect these kind of problems. But they continue to peddle this crap and yet we happily wait for it.......This is nothing new in the Polaris community, but damnit, it's frustrating. So where do I start? What's the common go to? Relay? fan? It's tough to swallow that after spending that kind of money and with just about a week and a half a riding time I need to upgrade springs $900, wheel bearings, $280, brake pads $90, tires $500-$800, intake/charge tube kit $500, possibly a radiator $420. And don't even get me started on the B.S. Frog skins material on the intake and clutch boxes that you can only replace the whole assembly on..... I would just one time like to ride it longer than I work on it. Just once. Any help out there!!!????
My advice to you is sell the machine, it’s not for you.

You don’t NEED to upgrade springs, you just want to.

Wheel bearings wear out quickly with how and where these machines get ridden.

Brake pads $90, your seriously complaining about spending $90 on a $30k investment?

Tires… 66 hours and 1600 miles maths out to be 24mph AVERAGE??? Sounds like a lot of time spent on paved roads. How is this The fault of Polaris?

Intake charge tube, why? Is it collapsing?

Radiator? Why, is it leaking? Is it clogged and you don’t know how to clean it? Or are you just pricing parts to throw at an overheating issue? Maybe have the issue diagnosed. Instead of just ranting, how about posting the results what testing you have done and one of the many fine folks here would be glad to steer you towards ways to find a solution?

These are off road machines. They require significant maintenance and repair on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2022 Pro XP4
371 Posts

Brake pads $90, your seriously complaining about spending $90 on a $30k investment?

Tires… 66 hours and 1600 miles maths out to be 24mph AVERAGE??? Sounds like a lot of time spent on paved roads. How is this The fault of Polaris?

Radiator? Why, is it leaking? Is it clogged and you don’t know how to clean it? Or are you just pricing parts to throw at an overheating issue? Maybe have the issue diagnosed. Instead of just ranting, how about posting the results what testing you have done and one of the many fine folks here would be glad to steer you towards ways to find a solution?

These are off road machines. They require significant maintenance and repair on a regular basis.
I don't know if I fully agree with your post, I just put 1400 miles on my Wolverine in a season and not a single problem at all! And I put it through some serious abuse..... My dad also did the same thing with his Honda and absolutely zero problems.... I expected switching to a sportier machine to have a little more maintenance and definitely more repairs from riding stupid, but what a lot of people are experiencing is design flaws and quality control issues, I paid twice as much for my Pro as my wolverine, I bought a machine that was supposed to be built to perform! For what they charge for these machines they shouldn't need to be fully upgraded to be reliable and they should surely be able to handle some abuse without constant repairs.

·
The Lone Rzr
3,422 Posts
Would you like some cheese with that whine....
You're not going to get much help here with a first post attiude like that

Week and half riding time? So you didn't check it out before buying? And now complain lol

Why are you the only one experiencing this problem?
Everything else is normal wear and tear for 1600 miles
springs, known upgrade since the caveman
bearings, depends on your riding area
tires, normal
brakes, normal
intake tube? why?
radiator, for what? You said fan not coming on
frog skinz, simple repair if it's torn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will post results as I get them, and I don't believe I was so much ranting as frustrated. I don't know how old you are or what value you place on a dollar, but I've been into off-road machines pretty much most of my life. There's No reason that at just over a weeks worth of riding the unit is overheating. I may have misspoken about the radiator as it's fine, but to replace a fan isn't much cheaper. I knew what I was getting into but didn't expect it so soon. You seem to be very opinionated and not very helpful. I recall asking for help and any ideas where to start. In all my years owning bikes, quads, snowmobiles etc. I have NEVER had an overheating issue with anything. Would you expect this from a new car or truck. These machines are purpose built and should hold up to the task they are built for. Mine is not an isolated incident on any of the things I mentioned. These are common problems NOT being addressed by the manufacturer. So if you have anything helpful besides "sell it" to say, I'd love to hear it, if not, silence is golden!t
So you bought a used machine and it needs work? Or you bought a new machine, put 1600 miles on it and are complaining that it needs work?

Checj voltage at fan if it isn’t working. Check voltage at relay. Check grounds. Get a service manual and read it.
[/QUOTE

Thanks! That's where I'll start. At least you didn't encourage me to give up and sell it like some of these guys! Man, they're brutal. What came across as complaining was a deep frustration. I've owned ALOT of off-road machines, mostly Honda and Yamaha, and even a few Polaris's As far as maintenance and dependability I'll let you figure out which was the worst. That being said of course this is my first SXS, and I love it. But unlike most on here, I dropped cash on mine and I'm hoping once I get things ironed out it'll be less work! Like most people, I love working on it when I want to, but hate it when I have to!!!

·
Registered
2021 RZR Pro XP
97 Posts
90% of your problems wouldn't be problems if you would've gotten a 2021. First year machines always have some flaws that more than likely will get addressed on the next model. 1600 miles on stock carnivores isn't bad, they are soft, and like @K&M said, 24mph average is either roads or desert riding. They will wear very fast on pavement or even gravel for that matter. Wheel bearings and intake tubes are all addressed on the 2021, sadly springs will always be an issue, especially with UTVs getting heavier and heavier.

Kawi, Honda, Polaris, and Can Am all have spring issues along with their own unique problems. A off-road vehicle is meant to be tinkered with, customized, and worked on. Don't expect it to be all sunshine and roses or you'll get burned out on the sport really fast.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
90% of your problems wouldn't be problems if you would've gotten a 2021. First year machines always have some flaws that more than likely will get addressed on the next model. 1600 miles on stock carnivores isn't bad, they are soft, and like @K&M said, 24mph average is either roads or desert riding. They will wear very fast on pavement or even gravel for that matter. Wheel bearings and intake tubes are all addressed on the 2021, sadly springs will always be an issue, especially with UTVs getting heavier and heavier.

Kawi, Honda, Polaris, and Can Am all have spring issues along with their own unique problems. A off-road vehicle is meant to be tinkered with, customized, and worked on. Don't expect it to be all sunshine and roses or you'll get burned out on the sport really fast.
I just read through the 2021 updates from the 2020. I don't think there was any significant changes that would cause it to be more reliable. Possibly the intake tube? The clutches were changed before the end of the 2020 year with the recall.
FWIW, i have a 2020 on 35s that gets beat on and i haven't had any issues other than riding back to camp alone to get trailers to pull the other side by sides back.

·
Registered
2021 RZR Pro XP
97 Posts
I just read through the 2021 updates from the 2020. I don't think there was any significant changes that would cause it to be more reliable. Possibly the intake tube? The clutches were changed before the end of the 2020 year with the recall.
FWIW, i have a 2020 on 35s that gets beat on and i haven't had any issues other than riding back to camp alone to get trailers to pull the other side by sides back.
I am pretty sure they changed the hubs in 2021. The 20s had issues where the hub was honed out too much which caused the wheel bearing to move around causing the "clicking" a lot of people complain about. Polaris told them to Loctite the bearing and keep going. But they changed that in 21.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I am pretty sure they changed the hubs in 2021. The 20s had issues where the hub was honed out too much which caused the wheel bearing to move around causing the "clicking" a lot of people complain about. Polaris told them to Loctite the bearing and keep going. But they changed that in 21.
I remember something about it. That was sporadic though. Stranger how they changed the part number for the 21s if it was just a bad manufacturing process. Who knows.....

·
Registered
2021 RZR Pro XP
97 Posts
I remember something about it. That was sporadic though. Stranger how they changed the part number for the 21s if it was just a bad manufacturing process. Who knows.....
Yeah they sweep some things like that under the rug and just move on, I would rather them come out and admit that their clutches have more issues than just the balancing holes. I haven't had any issues with mine with close to 700 miles but every day you hear of one exploding.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Yeah they sweep some things like that under the rug and just move on, I would rather them come out and admit that their clutches have more issues than just the balancing holes. I haven't had any issues with mine with close to 700 miles but every day you hear of one exploding.
I haven't heard of any since the recall???
If they'd turn more attention to the mechanical design they'd be better off. Unfortunately, STRONGER CLUTCH or LARGER WHEEL BEARINGS doesn't sell as well as MORE HORSEPOWER.

·
Registered
2021 RZR Pro XP
97 Posts
I haven't heard of any since the recall???
If they'd turn more attention to the mechanical design they'd be better off. Unfortunately, STRONGER CLUTCH or LARGER WHEEL BEARINGS doesn't sell as well as MORE HORSEPOWER.
That is very true! And there was a 2022 that had one explode here on the forum not too long ago. I think some people came to the conclusion that it was a hot clutch and had water get on it causing it to go but you will never really know what exactly caused it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ok, ok!!! You guys are tough on a guy!!! Now that the whining and complaining is past, I'll answer some of your questions to see what is left.
Radiator is good and fairly clean. When quoting prices I really meant to say fan which I think is $416. Ouch. But when letting the temp. Come up at idle, at about 195° I saw the fan "try" to move but didn't. So obviously the fuse, relay and or temp switch are working. Haven't had a chance to pull the fan but it turns by hand, just not as easy as maybe it should??? It doesn't feel like it's rubbing on anything or loose like a bad bearing. It spins just not super freely..... If that makes any sense? The other stuff I bitched about, I can handle! Does anyone know if the fan rate on these are higher due to them having to pull through two cooling unit?? Or can a fan from another machine that is approximately the same circumference be made to work.(I ask because I have one on hand)

I'm learning that about the first year issue, just didn't think there would be that drastic of a change considering most of the "bigger" problems have plagued most every line of RZR since inception. And I know alot of it comes down to Polaris economics. Yes, the tire wear is mostly hard packed gravel roads, so I get that and coulda/shoulda rotated been rotated more. And the springs which apparently alot of these guys don't understand how they work....... When the crossover spring collapses prematurely because the spring rate is to low or week, you have to unfortunately maintain ride height by adjusting preload. At some point your cross over springs become useless and over taxes the rest of the shock system. Yes, aftermarket springs are the fix if you don't want your suspension sagging and want it to perform the way FOX or Walker Evans designed it...... NOT the penny pinchers at Polaris Corporate. All is good though, I love the machine, it makes me smile just looking at it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, and didn't they then also go with the HD bearings???? Anyone have issues yet on 21's with bearings before I upgrade my '20' with '21 hubs??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

So if you don't think springs NEED to be replaced, just how much sag is acceptable before your completely out of preload adjustment and are using the crossover spring just as a spacer??????? That just makes it that much harder for the live action to perform as intended. Also it's a bitch to maintain 14-14-1/2" ride height with soft saggy springs.......Not my first suspension rodeo!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts