Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Pro XP4 Ultimate Rockford Fosgate LE
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, starting a new thread as the search didn't yield anything from this decade. I have 4 Tusk Heated Seat kits and am going to attempt to install them in our Pro XP4.
Brown Publication Material property Packaging and labeling Font

With the 4 pad setup the front seats have the install may just be on the lower sections in the front. If I do the heating elements on the lower pads and forgo heating the upper bolsters I think that should be sufficient. I am open to suggestions as I don't know how well they heat or how effective these kits are.

Shoe Helmet Leg Sports equipment Sleeve

The rear are optional but will do those if I decide against installing 2 kits per front seat to cover all 4 sections.

The question I have is whether anyone has attempted to take these seat assemblies apart yet and if there's any tips anyone might have. Input would be appreciated, will share my experience and video/photos once I get some time to get these done.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
definitely watching this. i was looking at those same tusk kits.
I'm hoping to get some time on it this weekend. Have a few other projects too but this one might come first since it'll be the most time involved. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
380 Posts
there's some how to videos, but it's generally on seats more like the older 8-900 rzrs, not the smaller padded seats like ours. Also i'm curious about current draw. i haven't upgraded to a 2nd battery yet, but it's definitely in my future.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Found a few minutes before we head to dinner so got started on the first seat this afternoon.
Outerwear White Product Black Textile

Outerwear Bag Luggage and bags Sleeve Grey

Fortunately there's no staples on these so it'll go quicker. There are 7 rivets that hold the bottom 2 cushions on.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

And 4 rivets that hold the top sides on.
Automotive tire Automotive design Bag Motor vehicle Grey

The bottom bar has to come out to remove the seat release mechanism to get to the 7th rivet on the rear lower piece. I took the plastic cap off and used a 17mm impact socket to hammer it out.
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Rim

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Tread Sleeve

Here's the hidden rivet for the lower rear piece.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

The front lower piece has a retainer that it slides out of once the rivets are drilled out, removal is quite easy.
Grey Personal protective equipment Bag Automotive tire Auto part

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

While the rear lower piece has 2 retaining tabs and will be lifted toward the top of the seat to remove once all 5 rivets are out of that piece.
Helmet Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

The covers are held to the plastic backing by a plastic arrow tab that slides into a slot and once the first one comes loose the rest are fairly easy. I just used a 90° pick to motivate them out.
Automotive tire Tread Tire Road surface Grey

The opening in the curve of the seat is just 2 pieces of fabric fed through and hooked on the back side.
Water Automotive tire Wood Grey Watercourse

These are still fairly damp and since I have the heat on in the shop I'm going to let them sit overnight to dry out.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Bumper Rim

We have to be across the state for dinner so I'll start up again tomorrow and update this process on my build thread as I get it done. Good thing is this will work.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
1,287 Posts
I'm hoping to get some time on it this weekend. Have a few other projects too but this one might come first since it'll be the most time involved. Will keep you posted.
Well hurry up! It’s getting cold outside, we all want heated seats. You’re the guinea pig that tells us all if they work or not :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well hurry up! It’s getting cold outside, we all want heated seats. You’re the guinea pig that tells us all if they work or not :)
Hahaha, I'm on it - updated last night on my build thread. 👍👍

Bottom line is it'll work, but I'm just doing the lower rear panel for now since that has the most contact when seated. Will add another kit on the upper panels of the front seats if it doesn't provide enough heat. The rear seats will be done tonight if all goes to plan. Those should be just like any other install except I'm going to upgrade the wiring and connectors so it's easier to unplug when servicing or converting to a flat floor in the back seat.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They work well. My buddy and I have them in the front of our turbo s’.

amazed how rusted the oem staples were. We used a battery Milwaukee stapler worked well and stainless staples.

only downside is it’s cold and we stop to talk I don’t get out of the seat lmao

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rear lower seat installs were a breeze, did both in under 20 minutes. There's 3 rivets in each one, the heating pads fit these very well.
Now just I need to let them dry out and get them riveted back onto the bases.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Gas Rectangle Plastic Metal Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Hood

I'm only doing the lowers on the back seats with 1 common switch to power both seats from 1 harness and relay. This will save the wattage draw on the stator and most importantly I won't have to mess with disconnecting the wires from the seat backs every time I do any service. Servicing removal will happen more often in a given year than people sitting back there in the winter.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
i wondered how hard this would be on the alternator.
Each kit is rated at 50w. I haven't tested draw, but assume that's on High. With the 3 sets installed the 150w draw if all 3 are on High is manageable. However winter means the heat fan is on high and it's probably dark so all the aux lights will be on. With the dual batteries and isolator I have installed I'm not overly concerned using this setup, but have to stay aware of it. Installing 2 heating sets on each front seat and a set on each rear seat would have put me at 300w draw. Using 1/3 of the rated output of the stator just on the seat heat would make me nervous, especially with the Dynamix, Stereo, and all the other see far/blinky items I have installed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Np running them so far we even stop 20 minutes or so with the acc power on and sit in the seats with the radio on. We have light bars and radios with them on using the single oem battery. My amp is a class d low power it’s not a big radio though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah that's a 20 amp draw.... that's a huge load just for the seats. i would think with two batteries and all the goodies on you'd still be fine for quite awhile.
The wire harnesses for the heating elements come with a 7.5amp fuse installed. Conversion on the rating TUSK gives of 50w x 3 sets puts me at a rated 12.5amp draw between all 3 harnesses. The 7.5amp fuse would probably leave room in the rating for a higher startup draw (up to [email protected]), but without metering them I'm just using the rated numbers. But you're correct, should be good to go with this.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That’s great news! Mine were just delivered yesterday. Gonna put them in tomorrow.
Super, let me know if you get hung up on anything. And make sure to decide where you want to put the heating elements. I would do the front lower section and only upper of the rear lower section that is above the curve if I was doing it again. Wife likes how it is though. Details in post 167.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I did both lower sections. We have Milwaukee heated coats, so I concentrated all the heat on the butt.

Wife loves it!

Install was super easy. I have to redo the toggle switches. They don’t stay in the dash. Gonna cut out the blanks so they hold tight. We are riding tomorrow, so they will do as is for now. I’ll service it after this ride, and tidy up the switches then.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did both lower sections. We have Milwaukee heated coats, so I concentrated all the heat on the butt.

Wife loves it!

Install was super easy. I have to redo the toggle switches. They don’t stay in the dash. Gonna cut out the blanks so they hold tight. We are riding tomorrow, so they will do as is for now. I’ll service it after this ride, and tidy up the switches then.
That's great! I was in the shop this morning working on my tracks and did some more sealing of my cab openings. Sat there for a while debating whether to add the pads from the extra kit I have to the front of the lower section. Then I could swap between them by connecting to whatever pads I want to heat at the moment. I do like the heat on the lower back, but want it further forward a bit. Maybe I'll do that this weekend if my track parts don't show up. Glad it worked out for you, and especially glad the Mrs approved. (y)

·
Registered
747 Posts

Wife loves it!

How do you like the heated coats? Are they M12? If so which battery do you use and how long do they last? Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts