Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a a clutch kit for east coast slow speed rock crawling and trails. Want better belt grip with low rpm power. 2 door running 35” Zillas 1000 to 4500 feet stock power. Not a dune or mud setup. Quieter would be great too. Is there anything available for that? Most seam to concentrate on high speed or quick acceleration.

·
CB-BLR
280 Posts
I have messed with this a lot in trying to find the perfect clutching setup for my 2 seat pro r...with a Bikeman Stage III setup. I love slow crawling on 35" tires, as well as high speed trail riding. My preferred setup uses the AA helix...which is steeper initially than stock, and the Bikeman Clutch kit. Only time I get clutch slip is when I first start riding, and the belt is still cool. Other than that...starts moving the car at 1850 rpm, doesn't slip...and holds the power at approx 300 hp. Best of all worlds.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
TVM Portal Killers are coming next year for the Pro R and Turbo R. 33% reduction with 5/8" lift and only adds 1.75" width to each side. No more smoked belts. Pro UTV Parts will be testing them next month.
I’m not sure if I’m reading this correctly. The Rro R already has an incredibly low gear. I wouldn’t want to reduce mine another 33%. And if the TVM portal only has 5/8” of lift then to me it seems pointless. I do appreciate that they may have figured out a way to keep from adding so much width while retaining strength.
google search for TVM portal killers doesn’t produce any relevant results.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have messed with this a lot in trying to find the perfect clutching setup for my 2 seat pro r...with a Bikeman Stage III setup. I love slow crawling on 35" tires, as well as high speed trail riding. My preferred setup uses the AA helix...which is steeper initially than stock, and the Bikeman Clutch kit. Only time I get clutch slip is when I first start riding, and the belt is still cool. Other than that...starts moving the car at 1850 rpm, doesn't slip...and holds the power at approx 300 hp. Best of all worlds.
I’ve had Bikeman stage 2 kit with the black spring on order for 4 weeks mow. I’ve heard great things about it. I was told I should have it by Halloween weekend. Then each week since I’ve been told ”they just got them in and are ship orders tomorrow“ so far nothing has arrive. I had mine apart waiting for the parts sense the end of October. I just put it back together yesterday with all the stock parts again. I have missed two rides waiting and don’t wanna miss Thanksgiving weekend. I was hoping to find somebody that has clutching available. I understand production delays. I deal with it in my own business. I just don’t wanna be told it’s on its way when it’s not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had Bikeman stage 2 kit with the black spring on order for 4 weeks mow. I’ve heard great things about it. I was told I should have it by Halloween weekend. Then each week since I’ve been told ”they just got them in and are ship orders tomorrow“ so far nothing has arrive. I had mine apart waiting for the parts sense the end of October. I just put it back together yesterday with all the stock parts again. I have missed two rides waiting and don’t wanna miss Thanksgiving weekend. I was hoping to find somebody that has clutching available. I understand production delays. I deal with it in my own business. I just don’t wanna be told it’s on its way when it’s not.
May I ask whom did you order the kit from?? I have ordered from Bikeman in the last month 3 times and always receive my stuff 3 to 5 days later, which includes a stage 2 clutch kit , black spring, yellow spring, and a primary puller

·
craigstumph
2019 ultra low geared Turbo S 4
15,470 Posts
I’m not sure if I’m reading this correctly. The Rro R already has an incredibly low gear. I wouldn’t want to reduce mine another 33%. And if the TVM portal only has 5/8” of lift then to me it seems pointless. I do appreciate that they may have figured out a way to keep from adding so much width while retaining strength.
google search for TVM portal killers doesn’t produce any relevant results.
The Pro R is not geared low enough to run a large tire from the factory in rock crawling situations as evidenced by the people in this thread smoking belts. We have a test mule Pro R that smokes belts every week with 35" tires at Sand Hollow. TVMs are for people who run large tires (35"+) and need low gears without lift. The Pro R is already too tall from the factory for hard hard core use because the front drops out so far on vertical climbs. A standard portal will add too much width for any trailer other than a flat bed to transport. You will not find TVMs on any search because they are not officially released.

How to determine your gearing. Jack up the rear of the machine until both tires are off the ground. Count the number of turns the secondary clutch turns to turn the rear tire one turn. In low range a Pro R takes 27 secondary turns to turn the tire once (must have the ignition on in 2 wheel drive). In contrast a Turbo R takes 35 turns to turn the tire one turn. A Turbo S is 20 Turns to turn the tire one turn in low range. My RS1 with a 37 turn transmission and 30% portals takes 53 secondary turns to turn the rear tire one turn. I hope that helps put things in perspective. Here is a video of what a machine with 53 turn gearing can do on 39" super stickies.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Pro R is not geared low enough to run a large tire from the factory in rock crawling situations as evidenced by the people in this thread smoking belts. We have a test mule Pro R that smokes belts every week with 35" tires at Sand Hollow. TVMs are for people who run large tires (35"+) and need low gears without lift. The Pro R is already too tall from the factory for hard hard core use because the front drops out so far on vertical climbs. A standard portal will add too much width for any trailer other than a flat bed to transport. You will not find TVMs on any search because they are not officially released. I hope that helps.
I’ll start by saying I am not a clutch tuner so I am by no means an expert. Having said that I don’t feel like the gearing is to low at all. I have only had one time that I slipped the belt in reverse. I was going down a rock ledge and dropped down past the ledge and got wedged. No way forward. Had to winch up and out backwards. In low is always been fine. Some times it will slip in high but it’s because I have it in high gear on an up hill trail only doing 10 or 12 mph and I don’t want to run low because it is deafeningly loud with the motor screaming in low. I’m sure I have probably slipped it a little in low at some point but I have never smoked the belt in low. I have heard fantastic things about the Bikeman clutch system, giving better grip at a low rpm, I feel like just lowering the gearing is putting a Band-Aid on the problem, instead of coming up with a better grip on the belt, or a different drive system, My biggest complaint by far on the machine is how loud it is everything else I love about it. I’m one of the many people out there that would pay good money for a quiet muffler that would drop it a good 10 or 15 dB.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The Pro R is very loud. The stock clutching is a little loose and causes a lot of engine revving. Some people are OK with that and some are not. The gearing is the real fix and the clutching is a bonus when you get that correct.
I just feel like 33% lower gearing would make it unbearable. the motor would be screaming at the speed of a walk. Maybe if there was a way to quite it down then just run around in high all the time unless you were trying to crawl. unfortunately for us to East coasters we’re not driving on 40 grit sandpaper. Over here the rocks really are slick due to a coating of moss slime or wet clay that is like butter. We have no choice but to use wheel speed in a lot of places.
I really like that rear steer

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you have something here. I am liking what you have done and the results you are speaking of.

I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me.

I will probably get the bikeman clutch kit (mud and rocks) then the AA helix. Did you try the bikeman helix and found the AA was better?

What elevation are you riding at mainly? For me it will be Sand Hollow and Moab.

Can I ask what you have for weights in the clutch arms? In my experience this has always been such a battle to get correct?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you have something here. I am liking what you have done and the results you are speaking of.

I will probably get the bikeman clutch kit (mud and rocks) then the AA helix. Did you try the bikeman helix and found the AA was better?

What elevation are you riding at mainly? For me it will be Sand Hollow and Moab.

Can I ask what you have for weights in the clutch arms? In my experience this has always been such a battle to get correct?

Thanks

Bikeman helix is not available yet they haven’t released it

·
CB-BLR
280 Posts

Thanks

I have tried a couple of Bikeman prototype helix's...stock...and the AA helix. I like the AA helix the best. I ride between 1000 and 6000 ft. Bikeman sends you a setup sheet...but if you have problems after their recommendations...you can message me, and I will give you a call for some help.

Chris
Bottom Line Racing

1 - 20 of 48 Posts