Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday's adventure at the sand dunes ended up with the power steering not working correctly. We hit a dune a little harder than normal and when we got to the top the steering wheel was stiffer. We checked out the fuses, suspension, and unhooked the battery to reset the system. When stopped and at low speeds the steering is stiff but is working, at higher speeds it feels more normal. It just feels out of calibration. Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

·
YFZ 508s
456 Posts
Have you checked the wire connection on the controller box,I know their speed sensitive may have been that,just a thought,may b wrong

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked the wire connection on the controller box,I know their speed sensitive may have been that,just a thought,may b wrong
I have checked out all the wiring and everything looks good. Speed sensor was my thoughts. Could the speed sensor go bad? Or knocked out of calibration?

·
YFZ 508s
456 Posts
Im not sure on that but they was a problem in the regulator on some 14 models,do you have the power steering light on in you cluster?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm dealing with some EPS issues as well. I have an XP4 900 so Im not sure they are the same unit. Mine is made by Globe Motors and from what I gathered they are one of the main vendors for Polaris. From the research I've done (Google and calling dealerships) is this. The first line of defense is using a DEALER only scan tool to scan and flash/reset the EPS. An hour charge from the dealer here in AZ is about a hundred bucks. If that doesn't work then the next option is buying a new unit as the EPS's aren't repairable UNLESS you have a couple of certain after market makes. New they are about 1800 bucks plus install if you go that route. You can get them used on Ebay for about 600 bucks.
If you are a bit of a DIY'er you can jack up the front end and turn on the key and see what the steering wheel does. That might tell you quite a bit about whats going on. I did that to mine and the steering wheel cranks hard left all the way to the hardstop.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer with a little ps issue also. Mine feels notchy after about 20min of riding, it feels like your turning it on an off real quick. I only notice it when your barely moving the wheel just to keep it straight while driving, just feels twitchy on off kinda feel.

Ps my 14 never did this so I know it's not normal

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not sure on that but they was a problem in the regulator on some 14 models,do you have the power steering light on in you cluster?

No there is no EPS light on or check engine light. It is weird because at about 15+ MPH it feels more normal. I know it is turning on but just not all the way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My xp41k was doing something similar to the notchy feeling but would eventually blow the fuse. I first thought the unit was going bad. Took it to the dealer and they found a spot where the harness was rubbing and going to ground. They fixed the spot in the harness and secured it better, no issues since.

·
Registered
37 Posts

No there is no EPS light on or check engine light. It is weird because at about 15+ MPH it feels more normal. I know it is turning on but just not all the way.
If it's only acting up under 15mph I'm surprised you know there's an issue at all. You shouldn't be driving a 1k that slowly. Just put the pedal down SBD, problem solved. (Winky face)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If it's only acting up under 15mph I'm surprised you know there's an issue at all. You shouldn't be driving a 1k that slowly. Just put the pedal down SBD, problem solved. (Winky face)

Maybe that's what Polaris wants us to think as well. Maybe someday they will figure out what $20K+ for a machine should get you!

I'm sure this won't be a cheap or easy fix!

·
Registered
233 Posts
My power steering was acting up, so I started looking for what could be causing it, we'll during that time the regulator went out so to the dealer it went to get that fixed, when I got it back guess what was working just like it rolled off the showroom floor. Power steering problems could be a precursor to the VR going out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I think I need to start with the voltage regulator. Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bad VR causes steering issues. Voltage regulators big problem on 2014 900 4 as well I'm on my third. One known issue is when it gets hot and you ride thru water it burns it out from immediate temp change as well. Just sold my 900 and read 1000 forum as that was next purchase but skeptical now after reading all 1000 issues. Don't know if it's worth the 20k gamble for the potential issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
you should be able to tell if the voltage regulator is bad by measuring the voltage at the battery with the engine running.
It should be 13+ volts at idle

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I think I need to start with the voltage regulator. Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket one?
I'm needing to get a regulator and I don't want to put another Polaris piece of crap in there just to fry again. Does anyone know where I can get an after market in replacement of the stock pos?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$220 for a Polaris VR. If I'm gonna spend that much there has to be an aftermarket one that is better. Can anyone steer me in the direction of one?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts