Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 900 Trail Fox Edition
1,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I would start by checking the electrical connections making sure they are clean and tight. JMHO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I would start by checking the electrical connections making sure they are clean and tight. JMHO
Will do! I’m new to this. Just purchased it used not too long ago. Just replaced the batteries as it WAS dying and not holding voltage. But I replaced batteries and it’s still there. Should I be checking any other wires under the steering wheel that I dont know much about?

·
Registered
999 Posts
RZR only comes with one battery. Sounds like you have a second battery.

Is the second battery isolater/relay functioning correctly? Is the charging system functioning correctly? Proper voltage and amperage at the primary battery?

PS draws the most current and a poor battery/charging system is probably the #1 cause of a PS light and it not functioning.

Put a DVOM on the primary battery. Check voltage at rest (key off, engine off) Start engine and check voltage again (and check amps if you can) with engine running.

You want to see higher voltage and amps going into the battery when started. Engine running, I have seen about 13 volts and 8-10 amps charging.

Also, when the PS sets a code and the light comes on, after repairs (such as replacing a battery) you may need to drive it in low with RPM over 4000 for a bit. It won't take much. Will clear code and re-set real quick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RZR only comes with one battery. Sounds like you have a second battery.

Is the second battery isolater/relay functioning correctly? Is the charging system functioning correctly? Proper voltage and amperage at the primary battery?

PS draws the most current and a poor battery/charging system is probably the #1 cause of a PS light and it not functioning.

Put a DVOM on the primary battery. Check voltage at rest (key off, engine off) Start engine and check voltage again (and check amps if you can) with engine running.

You want to see higher voltage and amps going into the battery when started. Engine running, I have seen about 13 volts and 8-10 amps charging.

Also, when the PS sets a code and the light comes on, after repairs (such as replacing a battery) you may need to drive it in low with RPM over 4000 for a bit. It won't take much. Will clear code and re-set real quick.
Yes the owner put in a second battery for all the lights/accessories. Thank you for the information. I will check when I get back home and let you know

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the 2 wire connections on the powersteering motor. I had a problem with one of the low voltage wires wasn't seated properly inside the waterproof connector. The dealer told me that I needed a new motor. They were wrong. Try that and good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are two wire harness connections under the steering wheel make sure those are seated and tight in addition the the checks listed above.
Just made sure all the connections are tight. Turned it on, took it for a spin, and everything was fine, until I put it in reverse and kicked the steering wheel over to make a turn. BOOM. Steering wheel got tight and the light came on. Turned it off, and once i turned it on everything was back to normal. All working good, took it for another spin, put it in reverse and cranked the wheel, and it kicked off again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are two wire harness connections under the steering wheel make sure those are seated and tight in addition the the checks listed above.
Just made sure all the connections are tight. Turned it on, took it for a spin, and everything was fine, until I put it in reverse and kicked the steering wheel over to make a turn. BOOM. Steering wheel got tight and the light came on. Turned it off, and once i turned it on everything was back to normal. All working good, took it for another spin, put it in reverse and cranked the wheel, and it kicked off again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the 2 wire connections on the powersteering motor. I had a problem with one of the low voltage wires wasn't seated properly inside the waterproof connector. The dealer told me that I needed a new motor. They were wrong. Try that and good luck.
Responded to a couple guys the same thing already, but i Just made sure all the connections are tight. Turned it on, took it for a spin, and everything was fine, until I put it in reverse and kicked the steering wheel over to make a turn. BOOM. Steering wheel got tight and the light came on. Turned it off, and once i turned it on everything was back to normal. All working good, took it for another spin, put it in reverse and cranked the wheel, and it kicked off again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds so stupid. I’m not the best with wiring. But I could possibly check with a voltmeter? How would I know if it’s a wire issue

·
Registered
67 Posts
Look up the low voltage signal numbers in a service manual and check, test them out. On mine the problem was the wire wasn't properly seated and staying lock inside the waterproof plug. My dealer told me that I needed a new power steering motor so I bought one. I had look and tested everything out quite a few times before I took it to the dealer, I didn't pull the plug connectors apart until after the dealer checked and tested it and scoped me for $200. I also bought a used motor for $400. In testing the new one out I pulled the plug connectors apart and found the problem. You could have the same problem. In the sevice manual it tells you what the low voltage signals are. Hope this help you out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
May sound stupid but make sure your machine is actually charging, if machine isnt charging properly or if battery/batteries are bad or have an issue the power steering will automatically kick off after voltage gets below a certain point

1 - 14 of 14 Posts