Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help all!
My 09 RZR has been a little "cold natured" lately and needs to warm up before it runs well. Seems to be getting worse with each ride. Now it is backfiring and seems to be running rich. Last night the entire exhaust was glowing red from the engine all the way to the muffler. My throttle response is crap with spit and sputter when i hit the gas. I have top end if I got enough room to wait for it. Last night the idle was extremely rough and it died a few times at idle. I have to "feather" the throttle some times to get it moving. Sorry so jumbled, just trying to give all info I can. Thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
with that hot of exhaust it might be running lean...
bad fuel pump?
check the fuel pressure. it should be 39psi.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer called me today saying they "think" the problem is the crank position sensor. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer has it now. They ordered CPS today but be lucky to see that before weekend. (big group going to Mena,AR this weekend. My luck) I will call them in morning and see if they will clean the BAP and retest. I have never touched the TPS should it be reset?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Have them check fuel pressure at both idle and WOT. I'd bet the fuel pump's bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'LL ask in the morning. I just hope to figure out something by friday. I'm gonna over night a CPS just in case.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Is there an upgrade fuel pump? I think I might also be having issues at max mph/revs. I don't want the POPO stocker if I can help it.

thanks

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Is there an upgrade fuel pump? I think I might also be having issues at max mph/revs. I don't want the POPO stocker if I can help it.

thanks
JC8 knows the part# for fuel pump...gets-em from napa or something...may-be he will chime in...

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Please help all!
My 09 RZR has been a little "cold natured" lately and needs to warm up before it runs well. Seems to be getting worse with each ride. Now it is backfiring and seems to be running rich. Last night the entire exhaust was glowing red from the engine all the way to the muffler. My throttle response is crap with spit and sputter when i hit the gas. I have top end if I got enough room to wait for it. Last night the idle was extremely rough and it died a few times at idle. I have to "feather" the throttle some times to get it moving. Sorry so jumbled, just trying to give all info I can. Thanks all in advance.
Exhaust getting red hot...sounds lean to me...getting so hot will cause back-fire..The T-Bap wiring or sensor could be effing up as well..belly-up fuel pump would make her run lean to..check the fuel pump pressure should be 39-41 pounds...Clean T-Bap...check wiring an wiring conections...they could have a bad connection..make sure battery connections good...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well finally picked it up and now the check engine light is on. Code 22! They said the CPS WAS bad however they also adjusted the TPS and then still ended up replacing the fuel pump! Now after about 2 hrs of very dusty riding I just noticed that they did not get the boot back on the throttle body on the intake side and I been sucking straight dirt! Put it back on and tightend the clamp but I'm sure it wasn't good for the engine.

·
Crazy Off-Roader
257 Posts
Well finally picked it up and now the check engine light is on. Code 22! They said the CPS WAS bad however they also adjusted the TPS and then still ended up replacing the fuel pump! Now after about 2 hrs of very dusty riding I just noticed that they did not get the boot back on the throttle body on the intake side and I been sucking straight dirt! Put it back on and tightend the clamp but I'm sure it wasn't good for the engine.
HOLLY CRAP BATMAN!

I hope they fix your issue, but i would hand them the keys and tell them to replace the engine. You may not see it now, but soon you will have major engine failure. If you are under warranty just call Polaris if they do not wish to replace the engine, if it is under a aftermarket or extended warranty do the same thing. No reason you should have to pay for a aftermarket warranty engine rebuild when the dealer is completely at fault here and should swap your for a new engine.

Let us know what has happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine did the same and come to find out it was the y pipe coming off the jug. I took it off and shined a flash light inside and it was cracked. I welded it up and the bike was back to normal and back fire was gone. I heard this was a problem with the RZR metal is to thin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts