Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried digging around, but I am not really sure where to start looking, because I am not sure if I am dealing with an engine or clutch issue.

Was on a ride and everything was running fine, took a break, and when we went to take off again, belt was slipping pretty bad. Stopped again and swapped the belt out with a broken in spare, original belt looked fine. Belt wasn't slipping anymore, but power was way down. Couldn't get it to break the tires loose on curves, and just over all seemed pretty gutless.

I put new plugs and air filter and it seemed better, but still a little down on power. Went out yesterday and seemed to be doing ok, until I went to climb a pretty steep hill with loose dirt and gravel. Started out fine, but as soon as my rear wheels started to spin and dig down power dropped dramatically and I let off as it started to lug. It was idling fine. Put it in 4 low and got up the hill, but with noticeably less power that it should have had. Also smelled what smelled like hot modeling clay. Climbed a couple other hills and same thing, started ok, then bogged and limped to top.

Machine has 7300 miles. I replaced the primary clutch at 5500, but the secondary is original. The main symptom before replacing the primary was that it stopped releasing when I came to a sudden stop and would kill the engine.

I am in the process of checking the fuel vent tube and fuel pump operation to rule out a fuel issue.

I am thinking it is either getting starved for fuel, or one of the clutches is not working properly causing it to bog the engine down under increased loads. Has any one experienced any thing similar or have any ideas? I more than happy to read threads, but I've tried using my less than stellar search skills and have not come up with anything similar. Any suggestions for searching or links, in addition to input on the problem is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pulled the secondary and found my culprit. Came off in two pieces, and I was able to see this carnage. Rollers completely gone, and the housing looks like a 5 year old got cut loose with a dremel on it. When on the machine, it made no different noise, and other than a bit of an odd smell and intermittent belt slippage and loss of power under load issues, had no visible signs. Lesson learned? Pull the clutches and inspect at 100 hour services.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huge shout out to Hunterworks. My 2015 RZR 4 900 is notoriously hard to find correct fitting parts for. I emailed them, got a reply in minutes, ordered off the site and it was shipped that day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts