Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out bashing around the rocky PA. Michaux forest ATV trails today.
Having a great time. I followed another RZR around for awhile just to see one running from the back. Nice folks. Anyway a few miles from my Jeep and trailer I passed a few quads coming the other direction. After they passed I heard what I swear was a 22 cal. gun shot. A bit later I found out what it was.
My back end was getting swishy and I had to keep steering to the right to go straight. Yup it was a left rear flat. I carry a spare but thought maybe a can of fix a flat would get me back to trailer. Put the whole can in and made it by a breath and a half. Once I got back to shop I pumped it up and a pretty good hiss was coming from an area by the bead. I could peel back a bit and it got worse. I must have smacked a sharp rock right in bead area.
I think tire is shot but will take it to dealer and get opinion.:rollfinger:
But I sure had a great day riding non the less.:ride:
Cant get enough of this machine.
Eric Mechanicsburg Pa

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Cant get enough of this machine.
Eric Mechanicsburg Pa
That's good to hear Eric. I'm about to dump a bunch of money into one this week.

In your little story there, I thought you were going to say that the people on the ATV turned around after you drove by and shot at you and blew your tire out!....that's what I was envisioning while reading....LOL. Glad to hear that was not the case and you had a good day.

Ripping around on off-road machinery is such a great way to get your ya-ya's out. It's a huge stress reliever for me anyway. Nothing like coming home filthy and exhausted. I spend way too much time behind a desk.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That sucks, I just got a rzr and was debating whether or not to carry a spare. I mostly will be in sand, not as much danger there as trails. Hopefully yours can be fixed!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well at least you made it out okay. You're right about it being rocky! I was riding up there last Sunday. Even the "green" trails have a lot of rocks. Some of the trails are pretty tight for a SxS. I scraped a few trees on Staley Alley, and picked up a few new dings in the wheels. Still it was fun, and sort of "home field" for me. I think Bloody Skillet is better riding, but it is a lot longer drive.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
holly crap! you live right down the street from me!!!!!!!!
I've been there before, fun little place, don't think ill fit anymore since the +4 kit though.
We gotta meet up for a ride some time....

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is a product called cold vulcanizing for tire repair. It works on side walls too. I have used it on larger Bogger and "V" tread tires that carry 2500#s so i would think it will work great for a smaller weight vehical tires..

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've been to Michaux many times, it's a fun place to ride, but it is rocky! I made the mistake of trying one of the narrow side trails a few times, and the last time we were there with our RZR, we took this side trail that was narrow and rocky as hell! It took us forever to get thru the trail and it seemed like it would never end because we had to go so slow....Bloody Skillet and Sproul are better, but Michaux is fun once in a while...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was out bashing around the rocky PA. Michaux forest ATV trails today
Have you ever had any problems here with anyone checking for insurance for the unit your driving ?
I live not far from there... ( Hazelton, PA ..Coal Region ) and would'nt mind going to ride there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We were up there this past winter, loading up in the parking lot and a ranger came through looking around. He stopped to talk to us a few minutes, asked about the trail conditions, and then drove off. He didn't ask to see anything. Never even got out of the truck.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I read post like this and I feel guilty for not carrying a spare... LOL

I know I really should but man! is it ever expensive to buy all the accessories to mount the spare not to mention the cost of the rim and tire. LOL.

Anyone have ideas to ease the cost for a cheaper mounting option without sacrificing too much bed room?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
You guys that are running bloody skillet and Sproul (whiskey springs) might want to think about joining Snow shoe "SSRT". It's only $15 a year and next month the connector to Bloody Skillet will be open. We run all of them and SS has alot to offer for any type of riding.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I droped in and spoke with my dealer yesterday and he made me feel a little better about not carrying a spare tire. I have big horns without any leaks as of yet... Knock on wood. I again priced up all the pieces to mount a pare on the back of my bike and it was rediculous. You could hire a helocopter to air lift you out for that price. LOL. "Not quite but you get what I'm saying". Anyways the dealer told me he hardly ever gets a bighorn back that needs a replacment. They are good and thick and it takes a pretty good gash or deep puncture to pop em. I noticed I have lots of little cuts all over my tires and one pretty good one on the sidewall but no leaks. I think i'll keep away from shale pits, and watch for broken bottles on the trails and save a small fortune on a spare. I never bike alone anyways so i'll be fine.

·
Slacker
94 Posts
Ripping around on off-road machinery is such a great way to get your ya-ya's out.
I don't know about you, but I like my ya-ya's where they are when I ride... :rofl3:

I keed, I keed! Actually, all this talk has me a bit concerned too since I don't carry a spare. Is this a trail riding thing?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I carry a spare tire, tire plugs, slime and a mini compressor. Where we ride in the Sierras some of the rocks are very sharp, on one ride we had 7 flats out of 20 riders.

·
Old West Reenactor
498 Posts
I was at Dove Springs & went to Jawbone store & on the way back, about 10 minutes up the trail headed back to camp, a rock attacked the sidewall of my rear tire. Yep, big slice..Wish I had a spare then but my bud's went to get trailer & my weekend was over.. Had to sit around camp & drink beer... Still don't carry a spare but I have plugs & air on board. I should put 1 of my stock wheels on back...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think it's kinda nasty of Polaris to have such a pi$$ poor setup for mounting the back tire as far as all the pieces you have to purchase. You would think there would be a one shot deal where you could buy one kit for a "FAIR" price and of course then buy the wheel and tire of your choice to mount onto it. I think almost everyone could use a spare tire and I bet if they had a good price for a package like that most people would have one.

Food for thought...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Check with your local tire shop about vulcanizing it, I have one with a sidewall and one spot of the face next to a lug that are vulcanized, but, bead might be another story.... and as far as a wheel, I broke one of them too... front hit a stump or rock and pulled me sideways, later in the day I noticed the bead section was cracked on inside and opened up but not leaking.. so after getting home, I removed it, air'd it down, sliced the crack with a zip disc and had it tig wlded... works excellent..( aluminum wheel BTW) Vision wheel..
When you need to it's amazing what a person can do to repair or rebuild stuff!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts