Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far so good with the Pitster Pro 150. Been very happy with it. It has a few bugs that I need to work out but for the price I am very pleased. I had a great experience dealing with Matt directly at Pitster Pro and drove to Lindon, UT to buy mine straight from the Source. They have been very good about any questions I may have. I have been trying to get ahold of them for a few days but I guess all the guys that know anything are gone for a week or so.

I am hoping this post will get some people on here that have been driving these for a few years and know the tips, tricks to get all the power out of these as possible for cheap. I was actually a little disappointing at first when I first fired it up and took it down the street. We were getting maybe 17mph tops out of it in stock form, and couldn't climb a hill, even a little one for nothing. So when I originally bought this I also purchased a 35T sprocket and an 11 counter sprocket with a new chain that Matt cut to the correct length for me. Well I tore into it an pulled off the counter sprocket (Make sure you loctite these cause mine were backing out within the first 20 minutes of riding) but the 11 they gave me looked nothing like the original and I couldn't figure it out. The original counter sprocket had holes in it for the bolt to go into some other keeper of some sort. Not sure what all that was called but it wouldn't work. Next came the Rear Sprocket which went on not nearly as easy as I thought it would. I didn't have the right LARGE tools for the job though so I had to borrow from the neighbor. Once I got this on and all put back together and the chain cut again so it would fit (was to long and with the chain tensioned all the way back I had some serious chain slap going on).

So power after the rear sprocket was ok but still wouldn't make it up this one particular hill that I thought it should so I was still a little miffed wondering what I could do for more free power. Well it just so happens that this plastic piece piece, not even sure what to call it fell out of the Air filter area so now you can see the Air Filter but it runs like a raped ape now. Just hoping this isn't a bad thing not having this piece in the filter. I will have to get a picture of it to show if it is necessary.

Can someone post up how to drill out the muffler? Also how do you get rid of the catalytic converter? Is there a way I can do this myself with Home Depot parts or do I need to take it to a muffler shop?

Last question. It seems to leak alot of gas. Looks like it's coming from an area where to gas lines come into something? Doesn't look like a normal carb from a motorcycle but maybe it is.

Here is a Youtube Video I took of my 8 year old boy that can't stop riding this thing and smiling all the time..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey,

I definately don't have years of experience, as we have less than a month with our Double X.

My impressions follow but two quick points. I have zero gas leaking. I would remedy that ASAP. Hopefully some loose clamp or fuel line installation problem, but no reason to take that kind of risk. Second, you don't state if you have stock air intake or some modification, but make sure it is not sucking dirty air into the engine. Just relocate the air intake and get it out of the dirt. Matt can give you specifics or I know it is in one of the other threads. Final thought is pretty obvious, but did you take care of the screw behind the throttle peddle?

So here is our story. I was trying to figure out whether to add to one of the other threads, and your thread turns up. Had ours shipped to home, which turned out to be a huge plus. Crate and all, it was cumbersome enough to get in the garage. On a trailer it would have been impossible until I had assembled it.

Anyway, I ordered ours with the 39 tooth sprocket and relocated air intake installed prior to shipping. We ride mostly on tight forest trails where low end is more important than top end. It came with 35 tooth sprocket installed, which was remedied with a quick call to Utah. The 39 is still in the box, so our initial impressions are with the 35. I had also ordered a Rzr 170 skid plate and installed it prior to any trail rides. It was not a direct fit, but only a few mounting locations needed to be moved to make it work.

Had several short drives around the neighborhood to do some break in and let the kids check it out. I noticed after a short time, that the front tires were so out of toe that the DS had worn the center tread to nearly half of new. Bummer, but still very usable. Easily adjusted but the stock tires do not seem to like pavement much. Adjustable driver seat is nice.

Trail riding impressions. Air intake is louder than I would like and I may rework it to try and insulate the noise. Kids had a difficult time hearing the horn on my RZR when I tried to signal. I found a small stick on convex mirror which fits perfectly over the cluster at Autozone. ~5-6 dollars. Easy and effective. Clearance is minimal. It is wide and low which is good for stability but this thing is way too low to the ground for the type of trails we usually ride. The skid plate is trashed near the rear frame low point and I am not sure I will be able to make it work. PS rocker plastic mount broke (fixable) on a rock hit presumably. I dread the expense of UHMW skids. I had to tighten the sprocket bolts a total of 4 times. Finally, even well cleaned and locktited they broke free. I will have to get longer bolts and consider a locknut to keep from a bad day on the trail. I also noticed a gear lube leak from the near output shaft for the small sprocket. I was able to speak with Matt (at 4pm on Friday before a holiday weekend no less--Thanks Matt) and fortunately have not lost a substantial amount of fluid, so I will correct when I swap the sprockets. Additionally, I noted the rear swing arm positioning tensioners were unequal length which was remedied with a loosing and reseting the chain tension.

Kids love it. I am very happy with the purchase and really expected to have to upgrade the tires in order to make it work for us. After our break in weekend, I clocked my son at over 25mph and he was still under instruction to "NOT floor it until Dad said it was ok." I definately slow the bus down when I ride along and it will bog some on hills with me in side as well. Our biggest hurdle is the (lack of) clearance.

I have wasted about two hours recreating the wheel/tire research of others and have concluded that 12" wheels with either 23" bighorn 2's or Cerros are likely our best option. I would love to hear about a way to pull it off cheap however. Stock width is critical due to our trailering and I have a general dislike of spacers where back spacing can accomplish the same goal.

I have two videos. One putting along on the down side of a rain washed out road and the other of my son's new favorite activity while driving.

I hope you don't mind me hopping on your thread. At the very least I want to follow along for the answers to your issues.

David

2012 Pister Pro Double X
2009 Polaris Rzr 800
2009 Yamaha raptor 90
2005 Suzuki King Quad 700

·
Registered
121 Posts

Just got my kids Pitster pro back from the shop.

they put in the 180 big bore kit, intake, and pro circuit pipe from pitster. I dealt with Matt on this. and had talked to Jeff in Parts often. finally got all the parts. Thank you very much. planning our first glamis trip the first weekend in Nov.

I had put in the 35 tooth rear with a 15 tooth front last season. I run 22" paddles at glamis with 21" smoothies for the frt.
we run the stock wheels and tires around the house.
right now we are doing some short runs for break in.

the kids say the car has a lot more power! they slide easier in the dirt! Pretty cool!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought one of these for my kids as a Christmas present this year & have so far have been having a blast building/customizing/tinkering with it. I do have a question though. I bought the Raptor 600 fronts & LTR450 rear shocks for it, but ran into a problem. The rears went on fine but the fronts are waaay too tall to get 'em on. If anyone reading this did it, did you have to use a spring compressor to get the fronts on? OR, did I buy the wrong shocks?

·
Registered
12 Posts
raptors wont work on pitster only the single a arm models. a 300 ex shock will fit but i have yet to try them. i scrapped the idea and am building a new set of extended a arms that will add about 6 inches of width using a narrower offset wheel and longer shocks. also going to be using a set of spindles hubs and brakes from a 400ex. projects projects lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
raptors wont work on pitster only the single a arm models. a 300 ex shock will fit but i have yet to try them. i scrapped the idea and am building a new set of extended a arms that will add about 6 inches of width using a narrower offset wheel and longer shocks. also going to be using a set of spindles hubs and brakes from a 400ex. projects projects lol
I actually had a conversation with Pitster Pro today. They're awaiting some new shocks that will hopefully solve all our problems. FRD can/will explain it better I'm sure, but I'm going to wait until they've got the new springers to do a swap front/rear. :ride:

·
Registered
224 Posts
OK, I've re-routed a high flow air cleaner between the seats & changed the fluids. I still have to do the CVT. After removing the stock air cleaner, I noticed that there's an intake on the top of the engine case that similar (although smaller) to the CVT intake that needs to be addressed. Do I need/should I be looking into putting a filter on that one as well?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
I like this thread, so I thought I would bump it to the top. I would love to see an air intake system/box that fits in the gap at the top of the Pitster Pro Double X bed between the cargo box and cab. I think it could bolt to the bed and also intake from the bed side. This would minimize driver/passenger ear noise. Visually could look stock and not obstruct bed usage.

·
Registered
217 Posts
that is where I put mine, I will try to take some pics, may have to wash it first, we did some swamp riding last weekend

·
Registered
12 Posts
I built our air box there but put opening cab side. Built lid where air draws from bottom. Not too noisy at all. We just get to much mud and dust in the bed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts