Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about doing one or the other, I am really considering the 4inch portals and around 32s. I do not mud ride hard, mainly trail ride. I’ve got yeArben shocks which has made the ride a lot better but I want bigger tires for places like windrock when we go. Most of the time we ride Trails around north Florida, sandy/ water and mud. Average speed 10-20mph would the s kit be better, definitely not doing both. Anyone with portals on a trail please chime in

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After super atv told me that axle binding was the reason why they don’t offer forward arms I started considering portals. Been banking on making some but if it’s going to eat axles I figure I need to consider a different route

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If the cost weren’t an issue, I would definitely go with portals and 32s. There’s a guy on YouTube that did just that. Mupuppy I think.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I put 4” portals on my wife’s 900s and it transformed it into a beast it was the best money I’ve spent

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Wanted to add this: I’ve actually toyed with the idea of doing this for a while. Even thought about getting a trail and adding portals day 1 instead of getting the XP. If I were going to have a second RZR (would end in divorce) I would get a 900 trail, add portals and 32”+ tires, and send it!

·
What?
184 Posts
After considering this, I went the S route. With portals, you get the width, but you're still stuck with the same travel/ride of the trail. The S is much more smooth in the rough stuff stock for stock. With my Elka stage 5's, the ride in the bumpy stuff would be comparable, but get in the twisty stuff and the S is hands down better.

Obviously more maintenance with the portals. Mudpuppy was changing his brake pads every ride because of the fitment of them. 4 more things to keep oil in, possibility of breaking teeth off (sxsblog guys did this on their ranger).

My plan is to get some new axles to accommodate a lift in mine, reinstall the RT pro bracket lift I had in my trail and run 32's with the forward arms I've already go on it. Stock S suspension would fit my 30" blackwaters, but not my studded outlaw's, so I had to add the forward offset arms.

FYI, stock trail axles won't bind with a forward offset arm, at least at stock height. I built a set 2" forward and broke one axle at full droop, full lock and a good bit of throttle. I'd blame that more on my stupidity than on what you're normally gonna do with your rzr. I ran Demon Motorsports axles in front with the 2" RT pro lift and had no issues on 30's.

·
6,413 Posts
We were just talking about an ultimate tight trail build recently. The 50" 900 with 4" portals and the 15% gear reduction would be perfect! With stock 5" deep 14" wheels you'd be at 58" wide. It should easily fit in the bed of a full size truck. Throw on some 30"s, clutch it, flash it, and send it!

Its a huge upgrade either way. That S conversion is definitely a game changer when it comes to ride quality and stability.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
What are portals?
A portal hub is a gearbox at the end of the axle which both lowers the output shaft to the wheel and thus gaining ground clearance under the axle, and adds additional gear reduction thus taking torque load off of the rest of the drivetrain. To the best of my knowledge this design was first used in farm equipment and heavy machinery going back to the early 20th century, and first widely used in a road vehicle in the Mercedes Benz Unimog. Also popularized in the 1979-designed HMMWV, or Humvee (not the cheesy GM knock-off H2 and H3). You typically do not see them used on regular civilian vehicles due to the cost and engineering difficulties, but they do incredible things for off-road capability.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tate, if you have taken your forward arms off would you be interested in selling them? Shoot me a pm if you are

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I would think it may be less complicated and less money to do a gear reduction at the transmission output? Of course the increased ground clearance would be eliminated by this.

I spent 8 years in the Army and don't remember Hummvees having portals but they may have. i am getting old and forgetful.

·
6,413 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I would think it may be less complicated and less money to do a gear reduction at the transmission output? Of course the increased ground clearance would be eliminated by this.

I spent 8 years in the Army and don't remember Hummvees having portals but they may have. i am getting old and forgetful.
Gear reduction at the transmission is also great for running bigger tires or getting a lower low gear, but by adding the portals to the hub they also relieve a ton of stress on your drive line. Here's a great little write-up on the history of portals:

https://www.superatv.com/blog/origin_portal_gear_lifts/

·
Registered
916 Posts
I’m running stock 900 axles with 32” rocktanes wheel and tire combo weighing 62lbs and beating the shit out of it absolutely love the superatv portals

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
2009 rzr 800 converted to S width , WE shocks , 3 inch lift
390 Posts
Instead of using portals to raise the vehicle...can you use portals to extend it ?
No , Turning stress would be incredibly difficult and hydraulic steering most likely Needed . Complete redesign would be needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts