Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Popping When Articulating Over Rocks and Uneven Terrain

8K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Makin' Trax 
#1 ·
A recent issue has surfaced. A buddy of mine and I went out on a short run the other day. We are both big guys so the RZR was loaded down pretty well.

Midway through the ride, I noticed a fairly loud popping sound coming form the rear left side when we were articulating over some of the terrain. It wasn't anything terribly difficult. Then after a few more turns, the sound started coming from the right side too!

The sound is not continuous - just a single POP when the chassis is flexed slightly. I've seen mention about brake calipers loose, so I may look at that, but this situation doesn't sound like what other people are describing.

Ever since then, whenever we are slowly creeping over uneven terrain and flexing the suspension, the popping will be persistent - first one side, then perhaps the other depending on the angles.

I'm not an expert with the RZR's mechanical functionality, but this sound is very similar to what my old truck sounded when a ball joint failed and was popping in and out of place.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #10 ·
Great analysis and suggestions guys! I'm going to start pulling it apart this coming weekend to see if I can narrow it down using the suggestions given - starting with the sway bar.

Feel free to keep the conversation going because the more things mentioned to try, the better off we'll be! Thanks!

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Well, somehow I missed the last 4 posts on this thread - I must have dismissed the e-mail notification without visiting here.

So you people are correct. It was indeed the sway bar bolts! Took it to the dealer twice to figure it out. Now I'm kicking myself cause I could have just checked this thread again and saved a lot of headache.

Gave it a good test today at our local OHV park. So much more pleasant!

Thanks guys!

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Well, somehow I missed the last 4 posts on this thread - I must have dismissed the e-mail notification without visiting here.

So you people are correct. It was indeed the sway bar bolts! Took it to the dealer twice to figure it out. Now I'm kicking myself cause I could have just checked this thread again and saved a lot of headache.

Gave it a good test today at our local OHV park. So much more pleasant!

Thanks guys!
Rob - Take the swaybars off. Trust me your ride, especially at low speed, will improve alot. Articulation is way better. Don't worry about body roll. with the progressives you won't have body roll.

Steve
Hmm.... Interesting. Will that make it more tippy? I think thats my biggest fear on the trail but unsure how the swaybar will effect it.

BTW, those progressives are working fantastic! That was the other thing I was testing while I was out this weekend.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Rob - Take the swaybars off. Trust me your ride, especially at low speed, will improve alot. Articulation is way better. Don't worry about body roll. with the progressives you won't have body roll.

Steve
Hmm.... Interesting. Will that make it more tippy? I think thats my biggest fear on the trail but unsure how the swaybar will effect it.

BTW, those progressives are working fantastic! That was the other thing I was testing while I was out this weekend.
Great! Look Rob you took the leap of faith and got the springs, now trust me again, remove the front for sure. Then disconnect one side on the rear and go ride. If you don't like it, I can't imagine why, reconnect and no harm done. Otherwise I have a feeling you'll be removing it like everyone else with the progressives.
Ok, cool. I'll give it a shot. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend! :ride:

Discussion starter · #21 ·

Great! Look Rob you took the leap of faith and got the springs, now trust me again, remove the front for sure. Then disconnect one side on the rear and go ride. If you don't like it, I can't imagine why, reconnect and no harm done. Otherwise I have a feeling you'll be removing it like everyone else with the progressives.
Ok, cool. I'll give it a shot. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend! :ride:
Well, I'm convinced. I tried both combination of front disconnected, and front and rear disconnected. I noticed immediately that the ride was smoother. Also, in sections where one of my wheels would pull off the ground - yeah, that didn't happen so much anymore.

Anyone know of a quick disconnect kit for front and one for back? All the ones I seem to be turning up are extremely pricey. I would like to retain the stock links for now if possible.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.