Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris, listen to what the disabled need!!

USA has a huge population of disabled people wanting to enjoy
the outdoors via UTV’s. I personally own a 2008 RZR 800 & 2012 XP 900, both modified and life is good. Being a T7 paraplegic of forty years, owning many different ATV’s, each having a special purpose for my mean of mobility (hunt, fish, tour...), the Razor’s has become my all around favorite.
Most people with severe disabilities are required to modify there RZR before they can drive them. I have always hoped Polaris Industries would take on the challenge of listening to the disabled and there needs.

Could you image a Company with a mission statement to make or modify an off road vehicle for anyone with a disability with some or all the modifications listed below.

Please give your input on this subject. Polaris, listen to what the disabled need!!

Modifications for disabled starts
HERE

Steering ~~ power steering, for use with left or right arm, full adjustable steering column.
Braking & Throttle ~~ power assist, one control box, position opposite side of steering arm, no need for hand controls.
Seats ~~ accept personal cushion (air, jell, foam), head and arm rest, side support (lack of balance)
Harness ~~ 4 or 5 point, padded shoulder, sternum chest clip
Armrest ~~ insert custom arm rest once in the seat, incorporated arm rest into seat
Entry into RZR ~~ Center Steer & Seat, more room!
Size & power of RZR ~~ width 50” to 64”, 40 to 88 horsepower
Build a new machine? ~~ Electric/Gas (have a friend Gary, starting this design)
Modify RZR platform?
Cab, window, doors, roll bar?

Please add your thoughts, recommendations and idea’s, we have the technology, just need to apply it for the disabled and a Company to listen.

Darrel
Gimpman

·
Registered
260 Posts
That is a lot of changes for such a small number of people. If there is such a demand, there must be some aftermarket companies willing to take the challenge and modify for you.

I think it would be completely unfair to expect Polaris to reconfigure entire lines to modify for such small numbers. If there truly is a market for these types of modification, someone will fill that hole in the market. Being there are many owners with modified rzrs, someone is getting some of that done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Being there are many owners with modified rzrs, someone is getting some of that done.

After market products are great and needed by everyone.

Hand controls for RZR's has not been perfected and a learning curve for everyone putting them on a RZR. Sure would be nice if Polaris
had their own design to operate gas & brake by hand only, no rods, cable or claps attached to gas and brake. It's already been invented on you tube, Bill (PME) in Australia. Must be a cost & liability issue? Uhm, an after market company who makes hand controls for the major brand UTV's models. Currently have a email to Bill in Australia.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am also a t7 Para. I have to kind of agree with Dutch577. The problem I see is that there are so many variants in what handicapped people need that there is no way for a OEM to meet them all.
I am just glad that Polaris came out with a model that has the lower seat height that I needed to get back into off-roading.
In My case for about $15 dollars and 2 hours in the garage I designed a mounting system to put Monarch Mark IV hand controls in my RZR. If I spend a extra $20 to have the bracket cut out with a water-jet I can make them fully adjustable. Granted it helped that I had a extra set just sitting around to keep the cost down.

I would seriously consider making them for people. But for liability reasons I probably never will. I am sure that is the same reason many don't do the same.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why can't the throttle from a quad be fitted to a rzr? Likewise for the brakes? I can't remember how far the wheel turns but putting a throttle and brake on the wheel seems to be a safer place for those.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Gimpman,

We approached Bill form PME for my son's RZR he quoted me $80 - $100k for mods

got to be kidding surely.

Regards

Bob & Robbie

·
Registered
260 Posts
So I am looking at the steering wheel and it turns to far to safely put throttle and brake control. So I am thinking, why not a quad thumb throttle on the gear shift?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dutch I have a very close friend that I am helping set up his rzr. He already has hand controls but he wants to race so we going to try and come up with some new controls. Anyways the thumb throttle sounds like a good ideal!

I really would love to see this guy be able to race again!!! He got hurt racing motocross when he was 14 and lived for the sport!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dutch I have a very close friend that I am helping set up his rzr. He already has hand controls but he wants to race so we going to try and come up with some new controls. Anyways the thumb throttle sounds like a good ideal!

I really would love to see this guy be able to race again!!! He got hurt racing motocross when he was 14 and lived for the sport!
I hope it works and when he becomes world champ, a shout out to the little guys on the forum would be cool.

·
Registered
41,101 Posts
I am also a t7 Para. I have to kind of agree with Dutch577. The problem I see is that there are so many variants in what handicapped people need that there is no way for a OEM to meet them all.
I am just glad that Polaris came out with a model that has the lower seat height that I needed to get back into off-roading.
In My case for about $15 dollars and 2 hours in the garage I designed a mounting system to put Monarch Mark IV hand controls in my RZR. If I spend a extra $20 to have the bracket cut out with a water-jet I can make them fully adjustable. Granted it helped that I had a extra set just sitting around to keep the cost down.

I would seriously consider making them for people. But for liability reasons I probably never will. I am sure that is the same reason many don't do the same.

I'm sure this is why it hasn't been done... Everyone gets sue happy, I wish things were different but the truth is what it is... The company with the most $$$$ gets nailed for trying to help out...

Instead of a win / win situation, it's a loose / loose situation...

·
Vendor
10,289 Posts
We have hand controls for RZR's, Rhino's etc and have for years. I have only put a set on a Rhino personally though.

The Rhino is by far the easiest to put hand controls on.

Todd

·
Registered
140 Posts
Am going to get him on the form this afternoon. I have some big Ideals in my head for the project and hope it works out!

Ps he was 14 when he got hurt and now is 25 or 26 and has had several ltr 450s with hand controls. He will work for it with a little help!

·
Registered
948 Posts
That is a lot of changes for such a small number of people. If there is such a demand, there must be some aftermarket companies willing to take the challenge and modify for you.

I think it would be completely unfair to expect Polaris to reconfigure entire lines to modify for such small numbers. If there truly is a market for these types of modification, someone will fill that hole in the market. Being there are many owners with modified rzrs, someone is getting some of that done.

Agree with Tim on this issue. It's the same thing with your factory cars and trucks - aftermarket vendors are in place to handle that specific demand.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Off-Road Only makes a shift knob with a built in throttle lever. It is made for a Jeep but I'm sure it could be adapted to work on a rzr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a C-5-6 Quad I gust bought a Rzr 4 800 that i plan to modify and build a custom passenger seat on a 75 degree angle of tilt and cairn lift off rear roll-cage to lift me in. sadly I do not have full function of my hands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts