Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 2022 Pro XP4 Ultimate | Former: 2013 XP4 900
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll pick up my 2022 PXP4 Ultimate next week after the dealer puts it together. I know they're going to try and sell me the warranty. I also know from reading miscellaneous posts that Polaris will offer me discounts during the 6 month warranty period. Many suggest not buying the warranty at all which I understand and I might go that route. I might also decide to purchase the warranty so what is the norm for a 5 year should I decide to purchase it?

Also, does the addition of an S&B particle separator or 32" tires result in Polaris saying the warranty is void?

·
The Lone Rzr
3,416 Posts
I paid $800 5 years ago and still in effect
Never needed it so can't say if it's good
Some guys spend $800 to upgrade things so they don't break
I spent $800 in case something breaks
Might not get it next time since my ride has been so dependable

·
Registered
398 Posts
The lowest they got when I picked up mine was $1400 for 5 years. I didn't buy it, but nonetheless.

It is illegal for a dealership to void your warranty based solely on the fact that you have installed an aftermarket product. Your rights are protected by the Consumer Product Warranties Law, often referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Now if you are submitting a warranty claim for a dusted engine, and you've changed the filtration system. They may not approve your claim. Same with the tires. If you file a claim for bad wheel bearings with 32" tire, they may not approve your claim.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought the extended warranty, so my recommendation is if you can afford...get it.
Better to have it and not need than to need and not have it.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
A few months after I purchased my 2020 RZR TRE, I started pricing extended warranties. I called a couple of dealerships and they both quoted me $1980 for 60 months. One of them said I had to bring my TRE in to them, pay ~$60 to have it inspected (unless I bought the extended warranty), and if it passed their inspection, they'd sell me the 60 month warranty for $1980. The inspection made no sense to me. My RZR was still under factory warranty. If I had an issue, I would've brought it in. If it was abused, they'd deny it anyway. But yeah, f*** that. I like peace of mind but it wasn't worth $2K. The odds always favor the house and some dealerships are notorious for denying warranty claims anyway.

A week or two later, I went with my youngest son to a third Polaris dealership to buy a quad for him. Out of curiosity, I asked the sales manager about the Polaris extended warranty on my RZR which was still under factory warranty. He said Polaris would extend the warranty, they sell their warranties at $50 above their cost, and handed me a sheet (pictured). I thought that was worth the peace of mind. So, I purchased a 60 month Polaris extended warranty for $1040.

To be clear, I have no idea as to the accuracy of the prices on that sheet (pictured). The first two dealerships I talked to kinda lend accuracy to those prices, or at least the MSRP (2020). I really wish there was someone on the forum who worked at a dealership and wouldn't mind (anonymously) sharing that kind of information. I may never need that warranty and/or Polaris might not cover it. But considering I paid close to $3K below the MSRP for my RZR when I bought it, that's an easy pill to swallow.

Bottom line, statistically, the extended warranty won't pay itself off. It's a gamble. But if it gives you peace of mind, shop around before purchasing an extended warranty.

Font Material property Paper Pattern Paper product

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
1,482 Posts
The dealer offered me a warranty for $3300. I declined.

Polaris sent me an offer for the same warranty for $1800. I was gonna go for it, then my clutch exploded.

I got an extra year warranty as part of the recall.

Then, I spent the warranty money on upgrades instead.

·
Registered
21 Pro XP Ultimate
110 Posts
Extended warranties almost always = ripoff. Period. They make so much money on those and people just keep on buying them. Then if something breaks, you have to hope they don't find some reason to reject your extended warranty claim. Great system...for them. Take that money, put it in a bank account, add a little over time until you feel like you're safe and go enjoy your machine. In the end you'll almost certainly still have that money instead of Polaris and the dealer having it. We call ours an emergency fund and we leave it alone. It's only for emergencies. Over a lifetime you'll be many thousands of dollars ahead doing it this way if you own vehicles, appliances etc.

I have no dog in this fight. I just get tired of seeing dealerships and manufacturers ripping people off. They prey on your fear and financial insecurity to make sure they get more of your money and keep you financially insecure. You'll always hear some story about somebody coming out ahead on an extended warranty but you may as well go gamble in Las Vegas if you're gonna throw money away. Your odds of "winning" are about the same.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i can’t believe that the msrp vs cost is a 100% profit. Shows how much of a rip off for a dealer to sell an item that requires no labor or service. Now the dealer trying to peddle the same thing at a 200% profit is a joke.

a 5 year warranty for $1000 on a vehicle with so many electronics and documented issues will likely have an issues equal to that. At that price, as long as you don’t plan on heavily modding the unit and you don’t like fixing your own stuff, I think it’s a gamble in your favor.

Extended warranties almost always = ripoff. Period. They make so much money on those and people just keep on buying them. Then if something breaks, you have to hope they don't find some reason to reject your extended warranty claim. Great system...for them. Take that money, put it in a bank account, add a little over time until you feel like you're safe and go enjoy your machine. In the end you'll almost certainly still have that money instead of Polaris and the dealer having it. We call ours an emergency fund and we leave it alone. It's only for emergencies. Over a lifetime you'll be many thousands of dollars ahead doing it this way if you own vehicles, appliances etc.

I have no dog in this fight. I just get tired of seeing dealerships and manufacturers ripping people off. They prey on your fear and financial insecurity to make sure they get more of your money and keep you financially insecure. You'll always hear some story about somebody coming out ahead on an extended warranty but you may as well go gamble in Las Vegas if you're gonna throw money away. Your odds of "winning" are about the same.

·
Registered
Current: 2022 Pro XP4 Ultimate | Former: 2013 XP4 900
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the guidance. I'm not opposed to giving the dealer a "fair" profit, recognizing my definition of fair may be different than theirs. I think I'd do it for the peace of mind if I can get it for $1200 or less like @SoonerRC did (thanks for sharing the pricing sheet!). I can't see how it won't pay for itself for that price.

I also totally get the idea of banking the warranty cost for this or any other product and that's usually what I do. However, I'm not mechanically inclined and don't like leaning on my friends who are more than I have to so getting the warranty on a car that I know is prone to break just makes sense. That said, I didn't have to do a dang thing to my 900 for the 8 years I owned it so who knows.

Again, thanks to all.

·
Registered
2022 Pro XP4
357 Posts
I got quoted the Zurichs warranty from the dealer and they wanted $3000 for it, I laughed, then called the performance shop and they said an entire engine rebuild was $4000, ill save the money for catastrophic failure, normally the warranty isn't worth the paper taken to write all the fine print.

·
Registered
181 Posts
my dealer in Filmore UT sold me a aftermarket one , said it covered more the the factory one and wouldnt nit pic anything like polaris does .
some are worth their weight in gold , had a 2014 ram 3500 duley , it paid for itself 3 time over and gave me half the purchase price back when i traded it in .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts