Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Kind of old thread but I have been messing with this lately. I want a digital dash with any gauge I want, when I want.
I went to pic n pull and got an Obd2 connector off a vehicle, found pin out, cut off Diag connector, connected Obd2 connector, plugged in Bluetooth Scanner tool (Amazon).
Downloaded Torque to Tablet.
Walla
Now have a full Dash, actually have not figured out what tablet to mount in dash yet, waterproof and all.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Looks like a couple of you guys are trying to re-invent the wheel. For the guys writing their own display check out "Torque" they may have all the API's you are looking for. Your work is very impressive, if anyone finished I would sure like to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looks like a couple of you guys are trying to re-invent the wheel. For the guys writing their own display check out "Torque" they may have all the API's you are looking for. Your work is very impressive, if anyone finished I would sure like to hear about it.
So, I'm the OP of this very old thread and a few days ago I was looking for a diagnostic cable for my motorhome (J1939) and I saw a cable for the Polaris slingshot to obd. I remembered your post that you got it to work and figured maybe something had changed in torque or the bluetooth dongle, then I remembered that earlier in this thread someone had it working as j1939 with their own program.

So, I ordered the cable (why make one when you can order one, though I have the parts to make one still someplace, Id rather not mess with it. Link to the adapter I bought. I plugged that into the diagnostics port on the RZR (2013 XP4 900, haven't tried it on the Pro XP). Plugged in my OBDII Dongle (Which is a Scantool.net OBDLinkMX Bluetooth)(First did a firmware update on it since its been a long wile since I used it last), and fired up a couple OBD reader apps on my android tablet. in auto scan none of them would connect. Next I opened torque (an android app). In torque I created a vehicle profile and set the protocol to J1939, I also turned on alternate headers (not sure if its needed). Then I saved and restarted torque, connected to the dongle, and wonder of wonders it connected to the ECU. From there I the default gauges in torque let me read engine temp and rpm. Didn't check anything else, but it looked fully functional. I don't have any codes at the moment, but I'd guess it will read those too. So, after 8ish years, we finally have an easy way to read the data from the RZR diag port. I'd also bet this works with all the other Polaris CAN based systems.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
fired up a couple OBD reader apps on my android tablet.
opened torque (an android app).
Darksoldier360,

Which OBD reader app did you use, and are you using Torque Pro, or Torque Lite?
I would like to start with a working combination, though OBDLink MX Bluetooth has been superseded by OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Torque pro

The obdlink app is to update the firmware on the dongle. The rest is just stuff I’m messing with.

The mx+ should work, the older one I have doesn’t work with iOS, supposedly the newer one does.

I’ll do more testing today, this time with the trailer door open. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok, with no custom pids defined, I get the following:

I’ll try to figure out the custom pids for gear, etc.

This seems to have some of them:

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok, did some sniffing of the raw can bus. It's definitely J1939, mostly standard PGN/SPNs but a few Manufacturer defined. For anyone who cares later I've put my notes at the end of this. The way it works is the ID field defines the Source and PGN. The SPN is defined in the J1939 spec for the PGN and basically tells you what bits to look at in the data.

The PGN is in hex and is the 3rd thru 6th characters of the ID, For example 0CFF6600, the PGN is FF66, or 65382 in decimal. You can also enter the whole ID here: J1939 Online 29-bit CAN ID to PGN Converter and it will tell you the PGN.

A google search tells us that is a manufacturer defined PGN. ISOBUS Data Dictionary - View PGNAndSPN. Messing with the engine and watching the data change tells us that that's the engine RPM. Looking at what this guy did milodarling/RZR_CAN_HACKS tells us how the data is laid out and how to convert it.

ID DLC Data Period Count Comment
0CF00400 8 FF FF FF 00 00 FF FF FF 20 169757 Engine Speed from ECU
0CFF6600 8 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 20 169806 RPM First and second bit
10FF6500 8 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 199 16976 Something Polaris Specific
18F00500 8 FF FF FF FF 20 50 FF FF 103 33917 Gear Selection 5th and 6th bit, 20 50 P, 20 52 R, 20 4e N, 20 4c L, 20 48 h ASCII: P
18FDE500 8 0A 14 1E 28 32 3C 78 FA 1002 3394 Max vehicle speed 1-7
18FEC117 8 F8 5F 03 00 10 00 00 00 5003 680 Vehicle distance driven, 5 meters per bit, 4 bytes , trip distance, 5m per bit, 4 bytes
18FECA00 8 40 FF 00 00 00 00 FF FF 1001 3394 Engine OK Signal
18FECA13 8 00 FF 00 00 00 00 FF FF 1001 3306 Code to be read, fault lamp, can indicate data packets, see j1939 spec.
18FEEE00 8 5B FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 1001 3393 Engine Temp? first bit 52=107F 53=109F 54=111F, 55=113F
18FEF100 8 33 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF 100 33885 Vehicle speed
18FEF200 8 00 00 00 FB 00 00 00 FF 100 29966 7th bit throttle position 00-ED, first bit fuel rate
18FEFC17 8 FF B9 FF FF FF FF FF FF 5003 677 Fuel Level Sensor
18FF6713 8 05 7D 00 7D 00 80 3F FF 99 33830 Power Steering
1CEB1700 8 11 2A FF FF FF FF FF FF 2880 49 Polaris?
1CEC1700 8 FF FE FF FF FF DA FE 00 88 6 Polaris?
1CFDDF00 8 FC FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 1000 2407 4wheel drive, 1st bit FC off, FD on DEC: 252 255 255 255 255 255 255 255 ASCII:
1CFF6A00 8 FC FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 501 6743 Polaris?

Now, here's the issue: Torque pro in J1939 mode is pretty rough. It sees most of the standard stuff and translates it (see previous message), but there doesn't seem to be a way to enter custom PGN information (I tried the PID stuff, but it doesn't seem to do what's needed for J1939 PGNs, happy to find out otherwise though). Looks like the developer of Torque hasn't updated it in quite a while either. I tried every other program I could find on android and none seem to handle j1939 with an ELM327 dongle. I've ordered a cable to allow me to hook my Nexiq up from my motorhome (J1939 heavy truck) and try to use its software to see if it gives us something more readable (Read and clear codes would be awesome). I've also ordered a wifi ELM327 module so I can try an app on iOS that claims to support j1939. When those arrive I'll test both.

I did connect the torque pro solution to my XP Pro as well, and I can confirm that it sees the same data there as it does on my much older xp 900. There is more data on the XP Pro, so I'm assuming things like turbo boost are available, but I have ride command on that one, so I don't really need anything else.

At this point I could easily build an Arduino based solution to output the can bus info to the Voyager Pro GPS's analog input lines. (Trail Tech is supposedly working on a can module for it BTW). Anyway, figured I'd post this here for anyone looking in the future. Will update when the cable and adapter get here.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Allowing each manufacturer to do this is as stupid as it was in cars. They do it to make money plain and simple. They need to be made to use the same obd2 platform as vehicles are required to. You pay huge money for these machines the info in it should be easily accessable.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ok, more progress. The j1939 to obd2 cable I ordered showed up and I was able to connect that to the Polaris to obd2 cable I had, and then connect my nexiq blue-link mini from my RV to it. As I suspected, the blue-link was able to connect and read everything, and also generated the attached reports from both of my RZRs. It can even read inactive and active codes.

View attachment 00000000000000000_2021-04-23T19:51:29.pdf
View attachment 00000000000000000_2021-04-23T19:56:23.pdf

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

I suppose the blue-link would work without the second conversion cable since it has both connectors...

·
Registered
2021 rzr xp4t
2 Posts
First off, you guys are so kind sharing all this info!

Question for you as I’m trying to follow along and I’m a noob with this stuff.
The OBDlink Mx+ along with the rzr 8- pin to obd2 adapter cable will stream data via Bluetooth to my torque app on android correct?
Then, are you saying the nexiq blue link with adapters is a better option as it handle codes as well?

I have a 2021 rzr xp4 turbo and just put an android tablet in and would like to have torque or other app display speed / rpm / other info.

Thanks again for all your info and help.

·
Super Moderator
2015 S900
8,222 Posts
@Darksoldier360
Lot of good info! Sent you PM.
I use the Windows FORScan program to modify bits on my F-150. Lots of capability, two-month renewable trial license. IOS Lite and Android Lite versions available. Might be compatible.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
First off, you guys are so kind sharing all this info!

Question for you as I’m trying to follow along and I’m a noob with this stuff.
The OBDlink Mx+ along with the rzr 8- pin to obd2 adapter cable will stream data via Bluetooth to my torque app on android correct?
Then, are you saying the nexiq blue link with adapters is a better option as it handle codes as well?

I have a 2021 rzr xp4 turbo and just put an android tablet in and would like to have torque or other app display speed / rpm / other info.

Thanks again for all your info and help.
For gauges Torque pro should be enough. It uses the OBDLink MX+ and the 8 pin to obd2 cable. For code reading there isn't a good program that supports the ELM327 (OBDlink, etc.), you have to shift over to a heavy truck reader like the nexiq. The RZR speaks J1939 which is a heavy truck/offroad/construction equipment protocol.

Since Torque seems to be no longer developed I spent some time looking at Realdash http://realdash.net/. It looks like you could probably use that, but I think you'd need to spend some time on their forums asking questions to get all the settings correct. I was able to get it to return the correct data with the correct mode specified in the init, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to actually send that data to the gauges, and moved on.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@Darksoldier360
Lot of good info! Sent you PM.
I use the Windows FORScan program to modify bits on my F-150. Lots of capability, two-month renewable trial license. IOS Lite and Android Lite versions available. Might be compatible.
Unfortunately FORScan is only for OBD2 vehicles (and really only for Fords). I agree its awesome. I use it on my F350. Wont work with the RZR.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2015 S900
8,222 Posts
And Mazda.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
And Mazda.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Don't forget about Lincon mercury's! I used it to unlock the factory remote start on the wifes 2017 Expedition, and tweaked the daytime running lights and a few more options. Great software.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts