·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again. :wall:

Polaris and CPSC warn of continued fire danger in RZR vehicles

Mary Green
Dec 19, 2017

WASHINGTON, DC – Fire risks continue to plague Polaris RZRs, including 2017 models and those that were reportedly repaired during the 2016 recall.

Polaris Industries and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a joint statement Tuesday to inform the public that a fire risk exists on RZR 900 and 1000 vehicles. The risk applies not only to the 2013-16 model years – when 133,000 vehicles were recalled and a stop use/stop sale notice was issued – but also to the 2017 model year.

“These fires have caused death, serious injuries and property damage,” Polaris and CPSC stated.

Polaris and CPSC added that they've received reports of fires occurring on vehicles that were repaired during the recall.

“Most of these vehicles were voluntarily recalled by Polaris in April 2016 to address the hazards. However, users of the vehicles that were repaired as part of the April 2016 recall continue to report fires, including total-loss fires. The 2017 RZRs were not included in the April 2016 recall, but these models have also experienced fires.”

CPSC and Polaris “continue to work together to ensure fire risks in these vehicles are addressed. However, at this time, the CPSC and Polaris want to make the public aware of the fires involving these vehicles,” the companies stated.

CPSC advises consumers to report any fire or overheating-related incidents to the agency hotline at 800-638-2772 or at www.saferproducts.gov

·
Registered
30 Posts
Aware of what?

What is causing these fires and how does one reduce the risk?

These notices are great but useless without explaining the actual cause of the fires, and why the recall work did not address the issue.

Give us something to work with, don't just yell FIRE!!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Most of the photos I've seen of burned up RZR's there wasn't much evidence left over to determine a cause!

·
Registered
249 Posts
1: gas stored above the motor can lead to a bad day unless done properly. If you crash then it can also be an issue.

2: don’t over fill your gas tank.

3: check vent lines around motor that they are not loose or by exhaust side of motor.

4: inspect fuel line and fuel rail for leaks or damage that may have come from flying particles.

5: inspect after cleaning and before every ride with motor running.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
30 Posts
1: gas stored above the motor can lead to a bad day unless done properly. If you crash then it can also be an issue.

3: check vent lines around motor that they are not loose or by exhaust side of motor.

4: inspect fuel line and fuel rail for leaks or damage that may have come from flying particles.

Thanks AZ.

That is helpful.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I find this to be a bit concerning ... IDK if this has anything to due with the cause of these fires, but my first impression after taking delivery of my 900 is there is absolutely no clearance or room for this motor to vent or breath given the heat it creates. The heat shielding on the header actually touches the shielding on the 'Fire Wall".... seems like a perfect opportunity for crap to collect within these tight spaces, dry out, and then ignite. Is this the true cause ... ? IDK, but what is equally disturbing to me is that this seems to have been an ongoing issue without any progress of root cause, just Polaris throwing band aids at what looks like a design flaw because they are over invested in a , what some would deem, a problematic platform in regards to overall reliability. I do realize that the instances of fire in relation to the total number of units sold is probably relatively low, just not something I want constantly in the back of my mind.

Full coverage insurance and carry a proper fire extinguisher ... if you can stop the fire before it hits the fuel cell you might be able to save the machine ... or at that point you might want to just let it burn? And hopefully you don't have one of the recalled defective Kidde Fire Extinguishers.

·
Smooth Moderator
3,211 Posts
One item that seems to be forgotten all to often is leaves, pine needles, weeds etc piled up and packed in around the motor. Mudders and mountain riders seem to experience this a lot more then the desert riders. You would be surprised how quick a hot exhausts radiant heat can light this stuff up. I fixed a machine that was brought to me not running. It had all the stuff I just described. I got it going and wanted to bring it thru a full heat cycle. Towards the end of the heat cycle, I noticed some small puffs of smoke coming from the rear of the machine. It was a small branch sitting in between the muffler and heat shield. Before I even got to grab it, smoke turned to a small flame. This is at the muffler mind you. Imagine leaves and pine needles all up around the front side of your motor above and below the header! Clean your machines as soon as you can after getting nasty with them.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I've heard about some of the "work" that these dealer mechanics do when performing the updates and it makes me think that they might have been better off being left as is. Throw it together and kick it out the door then hope for the best.

·
Registered
112 Posts
First upgrade anyone should do to their rzr or any sxs that one values is have a quality fire extinguisher and mount. Cheapest insurance you can buy for a sxs.

Sent from my SM-G360V using RZRForums.net mobile app
Not that I don't totally endorse the idea of having a good fire extinquisher but in reality has anyone been able to save a RZR that has caught fire? Thinking by the time you realize it's on fire an extinguisher is probably not going to put it out? And if you have insurance you're probably better off letting it burn. It might slow the fire down enough down enough to get everyone to safety I suppose. Any real world experiences?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
First upgrade anyone should do to their rzr or any sxs that one values is have a quality fire extinguisher and mount. Cheapest insurance you can buy for a sxs.

Sent from my SM-G360V using RZRForums.net mobile app
Not that I don't totally endorse the idea of having a good fire extinquisher but in reality has anyone been able to save a RZR that has caught fire? Thinking by the time you realize it's on fire an extinguisher is probably not going to put it out? And if you have insurance you're probably better off letting it burn. It might slow the fire down enough down enough to get everyone to safety I suppose. Any real world experiences?
I personally watched a fire being put out on a 900S at taylor park by a rider with a fire extinguisher, the unit was saved, and nobody was hurt. The fire was a result of fuel in a $9 fuel can bouncing around for 30miles.

I think fire is a danger on any high performance toy. Including RZRs, boats, race cars, etc.

The safest thing is to be aware, inspect your machine regularly, don't haul fuel unless properly mounted/secured, and have insurance.

Other option-Stay home in a padded room.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
in reality has anyone been able to save a RZR that has caught fire? Thinking by the time you realize it's on fire an extinguisher is probably not going to put it out? And if you have insurance you're probably better off letting it burn. It might slow the fire down enough down enough to get everyone to safety I suppose. Any real world experiences?
I have not witnessed a RZR fire, but I did participate in a Rhino fire. The winch contactor shorted out and the wires caught on fire. We noticed it quick and put it out. The machine still ran, and after disconnecting the accessories from the battery he drove it back to camp. He was able to put a new wiring harness in it, test it thoroughly, sell it, and buy a Wolverine.

A lot of people take the insurance claim on a RZR, do the buyback from the insurance company, and use the difference to fix the machine, often upgrading to aftermarket parts and ending up with a better machine than they had before at minimal or no cost to them.

It all depends on what kind of machine you had when the fire started and how far it gets before you can put it out. For some people, the right answer might in fact be "we don't need no water".

It also depends on whether your burning RZR is likely to start a wildfire.

·
Registered
433 Posts

It's called common sense. If you don't have it you don't need a RZR

·
Registered
205 Posts
One item that seems to be forgotten all to often is leaves, pine needles, weeds etc piled up and packed in around the motor. Mudders and mountain riders seem to experience this a lot more then the desert riders. You would be surprised how quick a hot exhausts radiant heat can light this stuff up. I fixed a machine that was brought to me not running. It had all the stuff I just described. I got it going and wanted to bring it thru a full heat cycle. Towards the end of the heat cycle, I noticed some small puffs of smoke coming from the rear of the machine. It was a small branch sitting in between the muffler and heat shield. Before I even got to grab it, smoke turned to a small flame. This is at the muffler mind you. Imagine leaves and pine needles all up around the front side of your motor above and below the header! Clean your machines as soon as you can after getting nasty with them.
This is a factor for sure ... every time we stop I do a walk around and are constantly removing pine needles , etc that have been caught up in the engine area.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts