Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Site Founder
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE send your comments regarding the possible off road racing ban in the California deserts due to a tragic accident that happened at the California 200 last weekend! It is imperative that we follow through with this. If we don't, we'll lose our BLM lands not only for racing, but for recreating as well!

Jim @ M.O.R.E. Racing-

"OK Racers and Fans Just had a meeting with the BLM as of right now they cannot give me any info on our upcoming race, they will let me know next week. As of now they have in mind to Closed Off Road Racing. You need to E mail or call now saying you are against this closing. to E... mail them you need to go to the BLM site as they are not listing their e mail address. you need to fill out their questionnaire. You need to do this in a good way, and explain to them the lost of shutting this down and the effect it will have on our Racing Community."

Here is the BLM contact info :
Bureau of Land Management
Barstow Field Office
2601 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA 92311
Phone: (760) 252-6000
Fax: (760) 252-6098
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., M-F
[www.blm.gov]See More
http://www.blm.gov]/

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
PLEASE send your comments regarding the possible off road racing ban in the California deserts due to a tragic accident that happened at the California 200 last weekend! It is imperative that we follow through with this. If we don't, we'll lose our BLM lands not only for racing, but for recreating as well!

Jim @ M.O.R.E. Racing-

"OK Racers and Fans Just had a meeting with the BLM as of right now they cannot give me any info on our upcoming race, they will let me know next week. As of now they have in mind to Closed Off Road Racing. You need to E mail or call now saying you are against this closing. to E... mail them you need to go to the BLM site as they are not listing their e mail address. you need to fill out their questionnaire. You need to do this in a good way, and explain to them the lost of shutting this down and the effect it will have on our Racing Community."

Here is the BLM contact info :
Bureau of Land Management
Barstow Field Office
2601 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA 92311
Phone: (760) 252-6000
Fax: (760) 252-6098
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., M-F
[www.blm.gov]See More
http://www.blm.gov]/

My wife works for the US Park Service and Forest Service on recreation issues ....with a few secondary contacts in BLM (ATV/UTV, bike, horse, hike, camp). When you write as Brian requests, doing it in a "good way" is of the utmost importance. You need to be clear and specific as to your reasons why you have a problem with the proposed action. Have somebody check your grammar if you are at all in doubt before you send your mail. It all matters and you want to put the best foot forward if you're going to take the time to write them. Most of the people you'll be communicating with have Master's degrees, if not PhDs in some form of natural sciences. -It's just important to be clear, concise and reasonably well written. Take a few minutes to review. Email is not worth much. Written letters are what matters. Just my .02 having listened to the various issues over the years.

·
Desert Rat
2,149 Posts
Email sent.

·
Desert Rat
2,149 Posts
My answer from the BLM:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Bureau of Land Management.

The BLM is conducting an official national review of the tragic OHV
incident on Saturday, August 14, at its Johnson Valley OHV Open Area, as
well as continuing to cooperate with other involved law enforcement
agencies in the law enforcement investigation. We expect the review and
investigations to be done expeditiously, but we have no specific completion
date. We will issue further information as it becomes available.

Meanwhile, the BLM is reviewing all OHV events in the California Desert
District for safety provisions. At this point, all options that would
increase the safety to spectators of these kinds of events on public lands
are being considered.

[email protected]

08/26/2010 07:50 To
PM [email protected]
cc

Subject
Internet Inquiry

·
Registered
941 Posts
Seemed like an appropriate response to me..... In a case like this, I hope someone presented a proposal on how this will not happen again! New course regulations, barriers, whatever..... hope it does get resolved without an overreaction, but considering the severity, its going to be heavily scrutinized.

·
Desert Rat
2,149 Posts
That's for sure. Signs were posted per BLM regulations, people chose to ignore them and some paid the ultimate price. However, if I understand correctly, the competitor speed limit through the Rockpile was 15 MPH. Most race vehicles I'm familiar with don't have a speedo, but suffice it to say the truck in question was going considerably more than 15 MPH. Of course the politicians had to get involved (have to protect us from ourselves you see) so Ms. Boxer and Ms. Feinstein will want their pound of flesh. And, of course, the Vegas girl's Dad is talking about suing MDR. Good luck with that, MDR certainly doesn't have deep pockets. I'm sure this will go on for years. Problem is, MDR had a race scheduled for Labor Day out around Plaster City. Don't know what the status of that is.

·
Banned
423 Posts
That's for sure. Signs were posted per BLM regulations, people chose to ignore them and some paid the ultimate price. However, if I understand correctly, the competitor speed limit through the Rockpile was 15 MPH. Most race vehicles I'm familiar with don't have a speedo, but suffice it to say the truck in question was going considerably more than 15 MPH. Of course the politicians had to get involved (have to protect us from ourselves you see) so Ms. Boxer and Ms. Feinstein will want their pound of flesh. And, of course, the Vegas girl's Dad is talking about suing MDR. Good luck with that, MDR certainly doesn't have deep pockets. I'm sure this will go on for years. Problem is, MDR had a race scheduled for Labor Day out around Plaster City. Don't know what the status of that is.
Just for the recored there is no 15 mph speed limit for racers this speed limit is for non race cars. Its for people riding or driving there own cars that are not in the race around crouds of people or camps, this is a BLM rule for all open Desert areas. Just wainted to clear this up the news media has been stating some wrong info! And yes MDR has been hurting just like the rest of us in the past 3 years.

·
Desert Rat
2,149 Posts
Okay, what you say sure makes more sense. I had been told something different by somebody that was there, but ......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.