Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered these tires last week had them mounted and went riding . I ride rock crawler trails in Alabama . The tires seemed to pull well and I didn't notice any real damage at the end of the day. Well today I pulled the bed and rear fenders to do some maintenance and got my fist good look at the rear tires and boy am I pissed!! These things have a lug almost ripped off, several are cut and many more look really shredded on the front edge . I think that the rubber is just to soft to hold up to the abuse during rock crawling with them. I read lots of reviews over a few months before buying these tires , nothing bad any where so I guess I'll be the first . The stock tires actually hold up better than these do in the type of riding I do . I am calling the company on Monday but I figure it will do no good . I guess I could have gotten a bad batch .........I give these tires a 0 in durability . They will not last more than a few more rides . Which sucks for the money they cost . Has any one else had a bad experience with this tire??

·
Registered
434 Posts
Slick rock of Moab and desert doesn't even come close to slate rock, creek rocks and shale thats found in the southern states. There jagged, sharp and hell on tires. IMO Bighorns last longer and better than ANY other tire for that type riding. My .02

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Its different rock here then out west.. Very hard to tell in pictures.. But as I'm a Bama boy my self I know Exactly what he is talking about.. You should see my last set of bighorns.. Maybe 700 miles on them? Still hold air but had tons of very deep cuts and pars of lugs missing. I got a cut in my brand new set the very first ride.. Has a patch on it now lol. As for the Rockers Few people have them that ride in TN and they also say they wear faster then bighorns.. But everyone does seem to say they grip well. I just can't see paying 550 a year for ATV tires.. At 350 a set I can live with bighorns lasting 700 miles

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm calling them Monday . Maybe they are defective. One of the big lugs that wrap down the side wall is almost completely severed , more than half way through the lug ,you can just flip it back and forth. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Lots of damage to the tires . The rear are worse than the front . I figure the weight and the softness of the compound and the lime stone rock with all the sharp edges all contributed to this. If Pitt bull or the dealer cant refund or replace them I will trade them off for bighorns. I have friends running Bighorns under the same conditions as I am with out tearing off lugs.

·
Administrator
50,392 Posts
I'm calling them Monday . Maybe they are defective. One of the big lugs that wrap down the side wall is almost completely severed , more than half way through the lug ,you can just flip it back and forth. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Lots of damage to the tires . The rear are worse than the front . I figure the weight and the softness of the compound and the lime stone rock with all the sharp edges all contributed to this. If Pitt bull or the dealer cant refund or replace them I will trade them off for bighorns. I have friends running Bighorns under the same conditions as I am with out tearing off lugs.
Mike or Jim from pit bull are good guys ,i hope they can help you out.:)

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
I've run the Rockers in IN, AR, UT, NV, CO, SD, MN, WI, IL, IN and more...the lugs seem to be well worn, but given the abuse that ROCKS put on any tire, that's expected....

Had a set of IROKs on my FJ40 a few years ago.....ran them for 2 trips...have run Pitbulls for the past 6 years on that rig, zero complaints

·
Registered
434 Posts
Two years and 1300+ miles and I'm on the same set with(knock wood) NO plugs. BUT I always take the smooth lines................

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two years and 1300+ miles and I'm on the same set with(knock wood) NO plugs. BUT I always take the smooth lines................

We got a full year of that type of riding on the stock tires.
Are those trails at some of the parks up in Ky. ? Maybe Julie and I will get up that way next year. You ride with southern RZR's ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I ride with the Southern RZR Riders. One pic is at Windrock and the rest are local trails. Come join us for a ride anytime!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
man... i was pretty set on some rockers, but now not so sure. There are a lot of sharp rocks where i ride here in arkansas. may have to start rethinking about bighorns again. Ive really enjoyed my terracross's but need something taller. hopefully you just got a bad set of tires so i can regain fait that the rockers will be the right choice... keep us posted

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
man... i was pretty set on some rockers, but now not so sure. There are a lot of sharp rocks where i ride here in arkansas. may have to start rethinking about bighorns again. Ive really enjoyed my terracross's but need something taller. hopefully you just got a bad set of tires so i can regain fait that the rockers will be the right choice... keep us posted
yeah , a real heart break here. I was sure this was going to be a good tire. I will post everything I find out . Pit bull did respond fast to this thread which I consider a plus. All you read or hear about is good tough and durable so you can imagine my surprise. How are the terracross in the rocks?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I have had no disappointments with them in the rocks. I roll with 8psi in the rear and around 10psi in the fronts. Im sure if i aired them down even more they would be even better. They are just not tall enough for me. The fronts only measure about 25" at 10psi and the rears about 25.5" at 8psi... thats with the weight of the rzr on them though.

However, there are a few little chunks that have been ripped out of the tread of the terracross BUT that is with well over 800 miles on them, and on two different vehicles...

I have been thinking about getting 27" rockers or 27" bighorns so i can air down a little, gain a little better ride and traction, but still have a tall enough tire to get over obstacles. but may end up staying with 26" tires as im sure the 26.5 rockers would have been a bit taller then my tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had no disappointments with them in the rocks. I roll with 8psi in the rear and around 10psi in the fronts. Im sure if i aired them down even more they would be even better. They are just not tall enough for me. The fronts only measure about 25" at 10psi and the rears about 25.5" at 8psi... thats with the weight of the rzr on them though.

However, there are a few little chunks that have been ripped out of the tread of the terracross BUT that is with well over 800 miles on them, and on two different vehicles...

I have been thinking about getting 27" rockers or 27" bighorns so i can air down a little, gain a little better ride and traction, but still have a tall enough tire to get over obstacles. but may end up staying with 26" tires as im sure the 26.5 rockers would have been a bit taller then my tires.
I fully expect to get damage BUT over a period of time . I have a 3"
lift kit and had to buy after market 4+3 wheels to get the 26.5 rockers on and the front will still just touch the floor pan when your off camber and the sway bar is disconnected .

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
I fully expect to get damage BUT over a period of time .
I expect to get WEAR over a period of time...rounded edges, less tread depth, etc.

Damage (torn lugs, slices, etc) are equally likely the first day as any day thereafter. The smaller individual lugs of the Pitbull tires mean they will flex more...that same flex yields a greater chance of damage. A larger tread block has more rubber to help keep it intact.

Those smaller lugs also equal more traction. Great traction is nearly always at the expense of longevity.

Still happy with mine, I leave Tuesday to wheel in Arkansas at the Superlift park in Hot Springs...fully expect to tear another lug or more off on those sharp rocks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fully expect to get damage BUT over a period of time .
I expect to get WEAR over a period of time...rounded edges, less tread depth, etc.

Damage (torn lugs, slices, etc) are equally likely the first day as any day thereafter. The smaller individual lugs of the Pitbull tires mean they will flex more...that same flex yields a greater chance of damage. A larger tread block has more rubber to help keep it intact.

Those smaller lugs also equal more traction. Great traction is nearly always at the expense of longevity.

Still happy with mine, I leave Tuesday to wheel in Arkansas at the Superlift park in Hot Springs...fully expect to tear another lug or more off on those sharp rocks.

Did you look at the pic's? This type of wear for one day is excessive to say the least. Unless I stick to the chicken trails they just wont last

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
Saw the pics...sorry, but not my definition of excessive for rock use. 20 years of rock crawling, I expect that. Rocks are FAR harder on tires than any other terrain, and they vary so much by region...sharp shale in the MN Iron Range, slickrock in Moab, etc.

My 39" Pitbull Maddogs will leave a handful of rubber on the rocks after hard climbs (literally, scoop it up with your hands). If they didn't, I wouldn't make it :)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts