Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Site Founder
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So we have some work to do to get my pops ride ready for dune season. He has a bone stock RZR4 with a stage 1 MCX turbo kit on it. I must say, this machine has changed my POV on the RZR. Its bad ass with a MCX turbo. (Thanks to Trey for helping us out! ;) It will give my 912cc Rotax Rhino a run for its money and we're going to find out on thanksgiving! I'll get him in the whoops if it comes down to it! :)

We're going to be installing a 4 place intercom system with a car to car radio, and an auxiliary speaker for pitting at my races. Who's running the best deals right now? I run Rugged, and PCI in my machines and love them both. Our choice will prolly come down to price this go-around.

Does anyone make a custom under dash mount for an intercom and radio? If so, we'll take one!

Next is paddles and wheels. He likes HiPers but I'm not sure if they're available in a 12" yet? I'm digging OMF's and DWT's billet center three piece setups. Any thoughts? I'm thinking if we do a 3 piece wheel, I'll have them coated blue, silver, and white. We'll likely get some Doonz tires for whatever he ends up with. What are your thoughts for size and cups? I'd imagine 26" 8 cups would work nicely with 85hp?

Seats! Got to get seats and harness'! I love PRP Seats personally but I think some of the other manufacturers are making better "RZR" specific stuff these days.......Rear bench and buckets for the front. Anything that matches the blue, silver, and white color scheme?

And last, we need a led light bar. Prolly a 40" with brackets that mount on the RZR cage. I love my Rigid Industries light bar, but again, this go-around will come down to savings. Who's got the best deals floating around for LED's these days?

Thanks for any input guys! We're excited to get this thing in order and get him to the dunes. He's from Colorado and he's thinking about storing it at Glamis and coming down every few weeks this season...... Personally, I cant wait to get back out in the sand, and I'm happy to have my dad finally get into what I'm into! :)

Here we are at Coral Pink this summer! We've got his whip covered! ;)

·
Site Founder
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ No doubt guys!

When I was 14, he bought me a $400 VW Bug and we spent nearly every day for two years restoring it before I got my license. I plan to do the same thing with my son!

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
Brian did you guys do the MCX install yourselves or have someone in the valley do it? What type of clutch set up did you go with for the rzr4 in the sand?

Over all does the power make the rzr4 more snappy and easier to maneuver? I found in the dunes it was a little slower to respond due to the length.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Brian...I make a little box that encloses the Rugged radio / intercom combo. It fits perfectly between the two bars under the dash. It has steel bars glassed in at the mounting points along the sides.

I made it so it has an angle towards the driver. Does a nice job of keeping the radio clean:

Stays up and out of the way too:

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Pretty cool.....

Wish my dad was into stuff like that!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
How'd he like Coral Pinks? How does the suspension on the RZR4 handle the extra power? Does it bottom out much in the transitions?

Jason

·
Site Founder
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brian did you guys do the MCX install yourselves or have someone in the valley do it? What type of clutch set up did you go with for the rzr4 in the sand?

Over all does the power make the rzr4 more snappy and easier to maneuver? I found in the dunes it was a little slower to respond due to the length.
My dad lives 150 miles from Trey in Colorado so he just took it over to him on one of his rafting trips. Trey did the install, clutch, and UMP intake. I have really no idea how the clutch is tuned. All I know is it's a STM kit.....

Yes, the RZR's power is very responsive in the dunes. There is less turbo lag as the engine "loads" quicker. I also noticed the 4 takes it's time to oversteer. Seems like it takes forever for the rear end to come around. It also takes as long to correct an oversteer!

·
Site Founder
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brian...I make a little box that encloses the Rugged radio / intercom combo. It fits perfectly between the two bars under the dash. It has steel bars glassed in at the mounting points along the sides.

I made it so it has an angle towards the driver. Does a nice job of keeping the radio clean:

Stays up and out of the way too:

Perfect! Thats exactly what I'm looking for! Please PM me pricing and payment information! :)

·
Site Founder
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty cool.....

I hear ya! As much as we butt heads and dont get along, we actually get to have a lot of fun together. I grew up river rafting, fishing, mt. biking, cliff jumping, all kinds of fun stuff. FYI, he's in Pagosa Springs, not too far from you! 4Nines and I have been talking for awhile about putting a UTV meet together for the Durango/ Pagosa area for awhile! Maybe we'll pull it off next summer!

I want a ride :)
You got it man! I want a ride in your RZR! We'll trade :) You coming to the dunes this season?

·
Site Founder
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How'd he like Coral Pinks? How does the suspension on the RZR4 handle the extra power? Does it bottom out much in the transitions?

Jason
We had a great time at Coral Pink. It's very cool up there. Some decent sized dunes, elevation changes, and sand trails that run through a forest of pine trees. I'll definitely go back there!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Pretty cool.....

Wish I still had a dad. Cancer sucks. He would have loved one of these rigs. Enjoy your parents while they're still around! :)

-Not to be a downer or anything, but something to think about that's easy to not think about, until they're gone.

·
Site Founder
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty cool.....

Wish I still had a dad. Cancer sucks. He would have loved one of these rigs. Enjoy your parents while they're still around! :)

-Not to be a downer or anything, but something to think about that's easy to not think about, until they're gone.
Co-signed. Lost my mom a few years ago unexpectedly. Sure do miss her!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts