Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1301 - 1320 of 1347 Posts

·
Vendor
330 Posts
Yesterday we went up to an iconic Colorado trail known as Holy Cross City in the White River National Forest for some product testing ;). This was a bucket list trail for me that I first completed two summers ago in a big group. I thought we were going to have more in our group yesterday but after a lot of folks bailed, it was down to just three of us hitting one of the more challenging trails around in questionable conditions. We weren't sure what the weather would be like nor how much snow was already up there. Although it was cloudy with highs in the upper 30s up top, it was still pleasant due to the fact that there was no wind. This trail will be completely snowed in soon and inaccessible until June or July.

Natural landscape Font Thoroughfare Groundcover Landscape

This is the first obstacle known as "The Knotch". Unfortunately we had to winch up this obstacle. It was just too slippery from the partially melted snow and ice. We also didn't try too long since the group of Jeeps were nice enough to let us through. Besides a few hikers, they were the only other people that we saw on the trail all day.
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Vehicle

This is known as the French Creek Crossing. The exit of the creek crossing is no joke. Unfortunately I didn't take a good photo of the exit. In the summer, the water is a lot deeper adding to the fun.
Tire Wheel Snow Plant Sky

Zbroz dual rate spring kit flexing! Full skid package highly recommended on this trail.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Snow

This is the last obstacle before you get up to the Holy Cross City ghost town right at tree line, 11,427'. It's hard to believe around 300 people lived in this mining town year round in the 1880s. There are only two buildings still standing. You couldn't have paid me enough money to live up there through the winter in the 1880s, not even today! The peak of "The Mount of the Holy Cross" is just out of sight in the clouds.
Tire Sky Wheel Snow Vehicle

Just above the rocky trail in the center of this photo is the the obstacle known as "Cleveland Rock". Cleveland rock is a buggy sized obstacle. I saw a few buggies try it last time I was up there and only the rig with 42" BFG Red Label stickies made it up. Getting up to the obstacle in the snow would have been tricky and then there's very little room to turn around up there so we decided to turn around here. You can see Matt is using a 2wd pivoting technique.
Tire Snow Vehicle Wheel Sky

Me and my buddy Matt right next to Holy Cross City. I met Matt when he came to buy my '18 XPT seen here in the background.
Cloud Sky Plant Snow People in nature

More testing on the Zbroz dual rate springs coming down one of the obstacles. Good times!
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant

Some great views on the ride back down.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Mountain

This is Homestake reservoir located about 6 miles up a dirt road from the Holy Cross trail head. Some Aspens are still holding onto their yellow leaves before winter gets a good grip. This reservoir is at 10,266' of elevation and sits just a little west of the continental divide. I believe that furthest back peak visible there is Wildcat Mountain.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Car

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP aka: The Bomb
1,139 Posts
Looks like you had a fun day at the office!

It’s so weird being the one with good weather right now. You guys are playing in the snow, and we hit 80 degrees here in Ohio today.

·
Premium Member
2014 RZR XP1000
2,369 Posts
Yesterday we went up to an iconic Colorado trail known as Holy Cross City in the White River National Forest for some product testing ;). This was a bucket list trail for me that I first completed two summers ago in a big group. I thought we were going to have more in our group yesterday but after a lot of folks bailed, it was down to just three of us hitting one of the more challenging trails around in questionable conditions. We weren't sure what the weather would be like nor how much snow was already up there. Although it was cloudy with highs in the upper 30s up top, it was still pleasant due to the fact that there was no wind. This trail will be completely snowed in soon and inaccessible until June or July.

View attachment 682356

This is the first obstacle known as "The Knotch". Unfortunately we had to winch up this obstacle. It was just too slippery from the partially melted snow and ice. We also didn't try too long since the group of Jeeps were nice enough to let us through. Besides a few hikers, they were the only other people that we saw on the trail all day.
View attachment 682357

View attachment 682358

This is known as the French Creek Crossing. The exit of the creek crossing is no joke. Unfortunately I didn't take a good photo of the exit. In the summer, the water is a lot deeper adding to the fun.
View attachment 682359

Zbroz dual rate spring kit flexing! Full skid package highly recommended on this trail.
View attachment 682360

This is the last obstacle before you get up to the Holy Cross City ghost town right at tree line, 11,427'. It's hard to believe around 300 people lived in this mining town year round in the 1880s. There are only two buildings still standing. You couldn't have paid me enough money to live up there through the winter in the 1880s, not even today! The peak of "The Mount of the Holy Cross" is just out of sight in the clouds.
View attachment 682361

Just above the rocky trail in the center of this photo is the the obstacle known as "Cleveland Rock". Cleveland rock is a buggy sized obstacle. I saw a few buggies try it last time I was up there and only the rig with 42" BFG Red Label stickies made it up. Getting up to the obstacle in the snow would have been tricky and then there's very little room to turn around up there so we decided to turn around here. You can see Matt is using a 2wd pivoting technique.
View attachment 682362

Me and my buddy Matt right next to Holy Cross City. I met Matt when he came to buy my '18 XPT seen here in the background.
View attachment 682363

More testing on the Zbroz dual rate springs coming down one of the obstacles. Good times!
View attachment 682364

Some great views on the ride back down.
View attachment 682366

This is Homestake reservoir located about 6 miles up a dirt road from the Holy Cross trail head. Some Aspens are still holding onto their yellow leaves before winter gets a good grip. This reservoir is at 10,266' of elevation and sits just a little west of the continental divide. I believe that furthest back peak visible there is Wildcat Mountain.
View attachment 682367
Wow it's beautiful up there!
Love the snow! Well that's if you are wearing the right clothes....

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
We finally made it to ride part of Hog Canyon near Kanab Utah yesterday, its been on my must hit list for a while.
A shout out to those responsible for the lunch stop/memorial table
Sky Mountain Plant Tree Mountainous landforms
Tire Sky Wheel Plant Vehicle
Sky Plant community Outdoor bench Plant People in nature
Sky Bedrock Natural landscape Tree Formation
along the trail. If anyone has a little information about James I'd love to hear it.
If you're in the area I'd recommend hitting this riding area if you like some challenges. We'll definitely go back to finish exploring the area.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Here's today's adventure.
For those that haven't seen the section called the Maze, it's a"Maze"ing. You can wonder around in there and play on a 2 seater but most of it is bigger than our machine can do. I didn't find the obstacle called You Have to be Nuts but I found plenty that qualified.
Evidently you didn’t try hard enough! LOL! Yup, the Maze is aMAZEing for sure. I have been to the gotta be nuts, and if you find that, there is you gotta be totally nuts……..NOPE, I didn’t try either one.
Have you found Double Sammy and Johns Trail? They are both fun too.

1301 - 1320 of 1347 Posts