Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s Christmas in southern California today; at least it feels that way to me. I have been riding quads and motorcycles all my life but today I pick up my first RZR. Let me just start off by saying that this forum has been super helpful. But I am also very confused with all the options. I have my must-haves as well as those items that can wait. My RZR will spend 95% of its life at Glamis and a weekend or two on trails near Capital Reef in Central UT. I would appreciate all the help I can get. My biggest question is...What should I do to the power plant to run in the dunes? Clutch? Intake? Exhaust? And I need to buy a set of paddles and wheels. I know its preference when it comes to wheels but I am interested in everyone’s take as well as size, weight, number of paddles, and so on. Apologize for the long question.

·
One Man Wolf Pack
633 Posts
If you aren't going to bump up the HP (with a turbo) then intake/filter, clutch and paddles. I went with a 7 paddle as I'm stock right now. Too much hookup in the sand will rob you of power.

You want floatation to stay on top of the sand, so buffs on the front and skats (a 7 or 8 paddle) is a very popular combo! Welcome to the club ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be the first to say that I am way green when it comes to these RZR's. Am I understanding you right when you mentioned the turbo. If I dont do the turbo then I need to do the intake/exhaust and clutch with the paddles?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, thanks for the warm welcome. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be a part of such a great group of people who love the outdoors as much as I do. I can’t get anything done...I am on this forum all day. Great stuff!!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Welcome...congrats and hold on to your wallet!

Take it from me...it's extremely easy to start buying stuff left and right and find out later there may have been a better option.

I can tell you this, after owning the RZR 4 since February, you'll want more power.

And if you start with things like exhaust, intake, clutch now, you'll find that you'd have gotten all that with a good turbo or big bore kit anyway...and what you bought first may not work with what you'll buy later.

So, if you have 4-6k laying around, buy the turbo or big bore NOW and save time and energy.

The info above on the sand tires is sound....check with Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports - he'll hook you up with the proper set-up for the RZR 4.

If you can make it out to the get together in Glamis at the end of October, you'll meet Dave and about a zillion other RZR owners and you'll be all set as to what you think you want! :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Exhaust really isn't going to give you much in the way of power, and you'd be better off spending the money on other upgrades. The only thing the exhaust gives you is looks and a different sound. I think the UMP or DFR air filter is a great upgrade that will definitely give you peace of mind. Other than that, the rest is personal preference. I would definitely recommend a windshield of some sort, and harnesses are nice.

Enjoy the ride.

·
aka: Bad Influence
929 Posts
IMO this is how I would go about modifications. Clutch, wheels and Tires from Fullerton, Seats from twisted Stictch, harness' from DFR, Lights from Tribal Whips, Radio System from Rugged Radios. Run it for a season before you jump into the Turbo deal but I would suggest not wasting money on exhaust mods, they wont yield you the performance that you are looking for.

so get the above items out of the way then go for the Turbo or Big Bore if you want more power down the road.

·
Registered
629 Posts
GET RID OF IT if you like having no money!! Right now I'm looking at buying headsets and seats, then the TURBO, then to OMF. My savings account dwindling fast and I STILL DON'T have enough money to do what I want!!!

Get out now before you are hooked!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am already getting nervious and planning on how to justify it to the wife. What clutch kit would be best for the sand and paddles and will be good down the road for when I do the BB kit/turbo as well? If I wanted to do a turbo or big bore kit, whats the most reliable upgrade between the two? I am not the best machanic. I want the HP but I also want it to start everytime. Can you have both???

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
First off welcome to the forum! There is tons of great info here. Paddles would be the first thing if you plan to go to Glamis alot. The clutch will def help. If you may plan to get a turbo in the future go with an 8 paddle skat. It's fine for stock but a 7 paddle will not be enough when you get a turbo. I wouldnt waste my money on a cage if you mostly plan on using it in the sand. Try to refrain from putting alot of extra weight like heavy stereo and other equitment. Now just go out and ride!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Try Sidewayzmotorsports.com he can help you out with sand and plenty of accessories. His prices are great to! Oh ya call him if you don't see what u want cause he can get it. I have the 4 and have put plenty of money into her and still going to add more. Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I PMed Dave last night. I am going to try to go see him this afternoon. Question - the clutch kit that he sells.....will it be sufficient for a BB kit in the future? This goes back to what jmattor mentioned about getting ahead of myself with mods and regreting it later when I upgrade. Thoughts????

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

You could go the turbo way or the mods way clutch,exhaust,PV5,UMP or DFR airfilter,skat-track 7 paddles with smoothies up front will be a good set-up or mohawk for more grip up front with dwt red lable wheel, DWT-DOONZ paddles are the least expensive and the skats are more expensive.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Dave is a good guy he answered all my question and helped me alot in the paddles and tires world,He is the guy for the wheels and the tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts