Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new 2014 rzr 4 900 owner looking for the best sand dune tire setup. I've always used paddle tires with my atv's but with 4WD now, do the paddles make that much difference? I see two options:

1. run paddles in 2WD
2. run knobbys in 4WD

Am I missing something?

thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well I’d base my choices on use. I have a 900-4 as well and it did very well without paddles but then I put paddles on and it did raise the fun factor a little bit. My paddles are a little small (off a Polaris ACE: 25”) so I’ve been debating on going with larger paddles but not sure I want to fork out the $$, so I might just enjoy the dunes without, I only go about 4x a year. Changing out the tires gets old too especially if you are only gonna ride for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. So it looks like paddle tires do perform better than 4WD. Guess I'll start looking for a set of rear paddles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
thanks for the reply. So it looks like paddle tires do perform better than 4WD. Guess I'll start looking for a set of rear paddles.

Get front smoothies too, they make a difference. They allow for a smoother ride up front. When the sand has gotten really soft I’ve even put it in 4wd and the front smoothies actually do something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
mhays
224 Posts
Paddles are just more fun. In 4wd w/o paddles you’ll be able to pretty much climb anything or go anywhere, but it’s all kind of straight-line driving with the front end pulling... w/o paddles you’ll need to be on 4wd most of the time, especially climbing. With paddles you’ll be in 2wd 99% of the time which is a lot more fun/better handling. You’ll only need 4wd if you are stopped on an incline, etc...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Paddles and 4WD ;)

The first year I took my XP4 1000 to Coos Bay I ran the stock Big Horns aired down. It went everywhere I wanted it to go but still left some to be desired handling and ride wise.
The second year I got a set of STI Sand Drifters cheap. The handling was massively better and made the machine far more fun to drive. Especially in the tighter trials that are all over Oregon dunes. But I still ran it in 4WD most of the time as it simply pulled better. Part of that issue is that the 28" Sand Drifters wasn't enough paddle for my machine in multiple ways.
After that difference this year I ponied up some more cash and bought a set of 30" CST Sandblasts on wider wheels. I haven't run them yet but am heading down to Oregon next weekend. I do expect them to work really well though from all the reviews I've heard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts