Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a follow up to this thread, E-track mounting and ramps

I secured the entire outside edge of the E-track on the truck and got at least 1 screw in every 16" along the inside edge. I can hang my 250lb weight on it and it does not move.

I got the Erickson chock and strap kit, Wheel Chock | and Strap Kit to have a chock and a place to mount the inside of the tires. I could not do inside and outside of the tire as the kit recommends since I do not have enough space. The chocks are mounted right over a frame rate and I used 3" bolts and went though a 2x4 on each side of the chock under of the deck.

I have secured machines a lot of ways and I will say this is rock solid. The machine doe not move at all even with just 2 straps on.

My question, for others that have used this kind of system, is are you ever worried about the tire strap sliding out of position or off while going down the road? With as solid as this holds I do not think it will be a problem but I have always had something that went "around" in some way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It looks solid, you may want to air down the tires a little bit so the straps squeeze the middle, thus not letting them be able to slide to either side.

You may also want to make sure that hauling it sideways doesn't let the wind drag be able to rip off anything like the roof.

I know more than one person who lost an atv seat like that back in the day.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks solid, you may want to air down the tires a little bit so the straps squeeze the middle, thus not letting them be able to slide to either side.

You may also want to make sure that hauling it sideways doesn't let the wind drag be able to rip off anything like the roof.

I know more than one person who lost an atv seat like that back in the day.
It is super solid, just being new and different can be scary.

I had not considered airing down. I do have onboard air right there so that would not be a big issue.

There should not be much drag as it is protected by the cab of the truck. We did over 2600 miles at the beginning of the month going to AZ and back with no problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
As the RZR bounces up & down and flexes suspension, the tires move side ways, and might work out from under straps.
You can order tire bonnets with E Track clips, instead of hooks.

IMG_1395.jpg

Reactions: DaGoat and Nwcid

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Kinda surprised they sell the kit like this if they can come off that easy.

For this trip I will keep an eye on them (I do have extra straps with me) and then when I get home either modify (I have a commercial sewing machine) or buy ones that can't slide off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know everyone says to strap the tires and I understand that. But I have always strapped mine to the frame and then compress it. Kind of like you would a motorcycle. Never had a problem. I usually will by use 6-8 straps with solid anchors Redundant in case one brakes. Done it like that since my first rzr in 2012

I’ll prob try the tires to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know everyone says to strap the tires and I understand that. But I have always strapped mine to the frame and then compress it. Kind of like you would a motorcycle. Never had a problem. I usually will by use 6-8 straps with solid anchors Redundant in case one brakes. Done it like that since my first rzr in 2012

I’ll prob try the tires to see how it works.

I understand what you are saying, however I have not had good luck hooking to the frame and not having it move. Especially when I was carrying in my toy hauler.

I have been using lasso style straps with all kind of vehicles from big to small for many years and have been very happy. If the wheel is secure the rest of the machine can do whatever it wants.

Lasso straps are not practical in this application and where my tie downs are. That is why I went with the system shown. I assumed that if there was a big problem with them coming off they would not be sold or have a safety of some kind. I have seen a lot of pics of machines held down with this style. As it sits right now there is absolutely no movement at all. It is likely that I will modify my current straps to have something to keep it from moving off, but that will not happen until after this trip.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
@Nwcid I love your rig! My Dad drove trucks most of his life. He has one he's been gradually converting to a "toterhome" to pull a 28" enclosed racecar trailer. It's a lot further along now than what's pictured. I'm chomping at the bit to see it finished.

Toterhome.JPG

Reactions: Nwcid

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Nwcid I love your rig! My Dad drove trucks most of his life. He has one he's been gradually converting to a "toterhome" to pull a 28" enclosed racecar trailer. It's a lot further along now than what's pictured. I'm chomping at the bit to see it finished.
Thanks, I will have more pics up soon. Been a lot of work since I picked it up in Dec and a lot more to do. I just got it all set up for hauling the Toy Hauler. We are doing the first trip with the whole combo starting tomorrow.

I understand toterhomes, but never was my style. Looks like he has a good set up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Add these to your straps if you arent using bonnets.
Definitely a smart investment.
You can find them cheaper.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I understand what you are saying, however I have not had good luck hooking to the frame and not having it move. Especially when I was carrying in my toy hauler.

I have been using lasso style straps with all kind of vehicles from big to small for many years and have been very happy. If the wheel is secure the rest of the machine can do whatever it wants.

Lasso straps are not practical in this application and where my tie downs are. That is why I went with the system shown. I assumed that if there was a big problem with them coming off they would not be sold or have a safety of some kind. I have seen a lot of pics of machines held down with this style. As it sits right now there is absolutely no movement at all. It is likely that I will modify my current straps to have something to keep it from moving off, but that will not happen until after this trip.
It looks like you have a good set up and know why your doing.

Safe travels.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
This is a follow up to this thread, E-track mounting and ramps

I secured the entire outside edge of the E-track on the truck and got at least 1 screw in every 16" along the inside edge. I can hang my 250lb weight on it and it does not move.

I got the Erickson chock and strap kit, Wheel Chock | and Strap Kit to have a chock and a place to mount the inside of the tires. I could not do inside and outside of the tire as the kit recommends since I do not have enough space. The chocks are mounted right over a frame rate and I used 3" bolts and went though a 2x4 on each side of the chock under of the deck.

I have secured machines a lot of ways and I will say this is rock solid. The machine doe not move at all even with just 2 straps on.

My question, for others that have used this kind of system, is are you ever worried about the tire strap sliding out of position or off while going down the road? With as solid as this holds I do not think it will be a problem but I have always had something that went "around" in some way.

View attachment 670265

View attachment 670266
I've hauled thousands of miles with a similar system(home built) on just the fronts problem free. I'll get pictures for you tomorrow. You'll be just fine, pull them down tight and go ride.
We have some friends that use the Ericsons and have a lot of trouble free towing miles. It's where I got the idea for our setup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had mine single strapped over like that, all 4 tires. Tight as tight could be. Tires wiggled right out of them. Luckily I felt the RZR move when I stopped the MH at a light. Sure enough, the RZR was running around in the box trailer. Luckily only my tool box drawer and generator face.
I think I caught with the first movement.
I also had it in neutral, I have always towed my toys in neutral.. Not anymore..
I will be investing in bonnets for sure
I could only imagine what would have happened if that RZR had busted through the back door...

IrnBear

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I've hauled thousands of miles with a similar system(home built) on just the fronts problem free. I'll get pictures for you tomorrow. You'll be just fine, pull them down tight and go ride.
We have some friends that use the Ericsons and have a lot of trouble free towing miles. It's where I got the idea for our setup.
Never wiggles, we've hauled it like this all over Idaho, Montana Utah, Nevada and Arizona.
20210403_093806.jpg

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR S 1000
330 Posts
I use the Erickson chock setup the OP uses. My riding tire pressure is 10 psi in the front and 12 psi in the rear. I strap the tire down over the tire. My RZR NEVER moves side to side or back and fort. The tires are firmly planted but the suspension is free to move.

The Erickson chock setup works great for me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ive hauled 3-5 full size vehicles from coast to coast with strapping over the tire and i have never had a strap slip off..

Not sjre how 4 straps "slip off" a rzr, interesting story though.

·
Registered
910 Posts
to one of the posters above. when i switch from strapping it down from the frame to strpping the suspension/tires.
after switching, the rzr towed like a dream. the rzr'ers suspension is cushioning and dampening all the movement of the trailer.
like you, i towed from the frame 100's of times without issues.
try it, you'll wonder why you hadn't switched sooner.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts