Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this $300 outboard clutch support thing occasionally as I scan through EBay, and was curious if this is a legit fix for a genuine engineering issue, or just a "snake oil" scam. I'm building my first turbo motor kit right now - pulled the motor yesterday - and it certainly seems plausible that additional support outboard of the crank/transmission shafts might not be a bad thing. That said, I've never seen one of these in my trips to the dunes (St.Ans, Sand Mountain, UT) nor in browsing this forum. Thoughts? (go to jjandaracing.com for pics and details)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the bump! Can't believe that no one searches "XP 900" on EBay! Haven't seen it being run ANYWHERE (including tuning shops running >200 hp) that run or recommend this. Just curious is all. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I seem to recall that device a few years back...If I remember correctly, it's supposed to take the some of the load off the crank shaft bearing behind the clutch. As to whether it worked, I don't recall....Hope this helps.........................

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
i have been running one for over a year now. i'm up to 12lbs boost on stock crank, been 9.5 or more for last 9 months. seems to be working?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The guys that owns JJ&A has a turbo Rzr and it runs really good and the word is that he broke a billet crank and then he came up with the support idea and I've had a build in Oregon tell me that they really help. From what I've been told that his Rzr hits really hard and that's what took out the billet crank. He is a very stand up guy and has been around the sand sport for alot of years and doesn't sell snake oil and I've heard that on top of it helping with the crank it also helps with clutching to.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
he is great to work with too. when i bought mine, he hadnt seen the newer secondary yet, so he had to machine me a new spacer for it to work. he measured up a newer secondary at a dealer that day, machined me the part and had it in the fedex truck to me the next day. he was on the forums in the past.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I like the idea of it, but I remember reading something about having to remove a portion of the cover for it to fit on and thats where I was turned off by it. Not sure I want to induce any more dirt/water into the clutching area.

What do you guys think that are running it? Do you have any pictures of this?

·
Premium Member
41,101 Posts
I like the idea of it, but I remember reading something about having to remove a portion of the cover for it to fit on and thats where I was turned off by it. Not sure I want to induce any more dirt/water into the clutching area.

K&T Performance has made a support like your asking about..

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
you do have to make a notch in your clutch cover to use this. it is more for a duner, as ive had zero problems with it.

·
Premium Member
41,101 Posts

There are quite a few duners that don't run the clutch cover...

·
Registered
256 Posts
After bumping this thread I did some search on this. What I found is that while there is really no comprehensive test results there are some people with NOS or turbos running this, otherwise not much need for it. Although, I would like to one day turbo my bike and will likely put one of these (or similar) as an insurance policy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I wasn't trying to infer a lack of credibility; again, the idea and engineering reasoning seem sound. I have discovered that if something works, people buy it. I run in the dunes and have never seen one - kinda wondered why. With all the forces involved with the CVT, along with the realistic expectation of less than perfect balancing of the clutch components (and the harmonic vibrations this subjects a crank to), it seems like a great idea. Does the K&T piece fit under the cover?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
there is no possible way for any device tying the two together to fit under the cover. they are offset at least a couple inches, and the clutch cover follows this offset. the support is straight across requiring a spacer on the secondary, and it sticks out of the cover 2" or so. i also don't think there is any room in front of the primary, meaning anything you add there would hit the cover.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to extend the brace out an inch (or minimal distance) and just have two small holes in the cover as to let in minimal dirt and debris...? One might even be able to put a rubber bung around it and still have it tight?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
i originally considered buying another cover and making one extra deep cover out of the two. it would have to be 2 pieces so you could get it off still, but i think doable. i don't think you would have any issues except water.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Or if it is really a good idea, then perhaps design a new cover for the whole assembly that will keep debris out of the clutching area.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
had an issue with my clutch support which i found out monday. seems an issue came up that toasted the bearings and wore the bushings, not sure how? anyway, i emailed jeff at jj&a racing, he told me to send it to him and he would fix it. sent it mon, he fixed it tue and i got it back wed, now that's service! i would buy anything from him, good peeps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts