Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious, I've been on this forum for awhile now, have made allot of new friends, and have learned a TON about Rzr's and all the upgrades you can do to them. But the other day i was wondering what was the FIRST UTV that started the entire revolution. I have no idea, I've only been a Rzr owner for about a year and this arena is still new to me. Anyone have an idea, what, or who, made the first true UTV.

Jr

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's definitely a Utility Vehicle, but what about something with a cage and seats more than one person. Shoot, my grandfather had a John Deer that, if you asked him, he'd say is the original UTV.

Jr

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who makes the rhino, is that the Yamaha UTV?

Jr

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Many might say it was the single seat Honda Oddesey, from like late 70's to mid 80's. Then that market sort of dried up. We were in the dark ages for years, until the Rhino started the fires of what we are seeing today. We used to thrash a 3 wheeled Cushman Truckster to death back in the 70's when we were kids, and wondered when it might evolve into something................like a RZR!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
My Dad was an Attex dealer back in 1975-1978. They were a 6 wheeled bathtub that steered like a dozer. It had a JLO 2 stroke, a CVT snowmobile clutch and the God awfullest arrangement of chains and jackshafts you ever saw in your life. They were a lot of fun, you could go from land to water in an instant, and they were a total death trap, because they would go anywhere, and there was no roll cage or seat belts. They were also a nightmare to work on. I don't know why the industry stayed in limbo for so long until the early generation of Rhino's came along. I guess the manufacturers just weren't doing their homework.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
My Dad was an Attex dealer back in 1975-1978. They were a 6 wheeled bathtub that steered like a dozer. It had a JLO 2 stroke, a CVT snowmobile clutch and the God awfullest arrangement of chains and jackshafts you ever saw in your life. They were a lot of fun, you could go from land to water in an instant, and they were a total death trap, because they would go anywhere, and there was no roll cage or seat belts. They were also a nightmare to work on. I don't know why the industry stayed in limbo for so long until the early generation of Rhino's came along. I guess the manufacturers just weren't doing their homework.
Even before that was the Amphicat (1965). Anyone old enough to remember the Banana Splits kiddie show? According to Wikipedia these amphibious vehicles were originally called All Terrain Vehicles (Jiger, 1961) so maybe that's where the name came from.

Amphibious ATV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Honda Odyssey was great and then came the 400cc Honda Pilot that really got the adrenaline flowing. In it's day the Pilot was king.

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Jeep and the Suzuki Samurai are also forerunners of the SxS that we have now in my opinion...
Dang, the samurai by Suzuki, I totally forgot about that little ride. My bud had one that was all chopped up and we bombed through pretty much anything with that little ride. Good call on that one TufSkin!

Jr

·
Registered
71 Posts
As far as modern day stuff, wasn't the Mule around before the Rhino?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts