Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was deep in another thread. Felt it needs a thread of its own. For easy search etc. As more facts become available will post here.

Just got off phone with the Deputy Head Ranger at Oregon Dunes. Yes after many years of not enforcing sound they are getting back at it. Good for them, I say.

Now for facts:

Ticket is $100.

They are not after the stock machines with stock exhaust. They are after those who have changed their mufflers to make them louder. And yes you will be ticketed.

If you have a glass pack muffler and have not repacked it, you may win a ticket. Cheaper to buy packing and repack it. Mainly quads here I think.

They are after the really loud machine dB105, 110, 120 etc.

They are looking at several things with the sound issue. Have been invited to set down and talk about that and other issues on the sand.

Help by getting this word out to offset the rumors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you feel we will see additional patrols on the Oregon Dunes? I see them driving a pickup through Horsfall and Driftwood campgrounds pretty consistently but rarely see them out on the sand. If I remember right, twice in the last two years. I only ride 20-30 days a year though. In the early 2000's I saw them a lot more.

I

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are setting up sound test/monitoring areas now. Hard to test on the sand, more control on proper test area at sand access points. Forest Service is down from six to only one LEO at present. They are working more with the local sheriffs. That is as it should be. Have found the sheriff deputies much easier and more friendly to work with than FS LEOs.

Im all for the sound testing and getting a handle on it before it balloons to something to take more sand away. The reason so many hills and the best dunes in the Florence area are closed is the sound intruding into homes miles away from the sand.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do not scoff at the $100 ticket. After a person has received several tickets, it has been know for the machine to be confiscated. Then I think it may require a court appearance and a really big fine. Going from memory of the past on this. Not sure of anything other than remember them taken a machine. Much the same if a person is caught DWI on the sand. On the big weekends Coos County Sheriffs set up a big compound at the Riley Ranch sand road entrance. So much easier too compile and be a good guy. Good for you and good for the continued use of the dunes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good for you and good for the continued use of the dunes.
I agree. Riders behaviors have to change or we will continue to loose terrain. All the idiot holes are closed down now. They were a bunch of fun on ATVs.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open sand gets less each year. Enough to make one get upset. So many fun hills no longer open to enjoy, growing over and being lost.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On recent visit to the Oregon Dunes was able to sit down with Garrit Craig, Deputy Ranger, Central Coast District and discussed current sound testing. Here is the official word on dB limits for the Oregon Dunes:

The ODNRA is actively enforcing and citing noise violation over 99 dBL. Over 113 enforcement stops have been conducted so far this year. Enforcement stops will continue to occur throughout the ODNRA in order to address noise violations. Additionally, the Siuslaw NF is currently working to align their dB limit with that of the state in order to have better coordination, education and enforcement around sound. More information will be coming soon around this change.

I see this as a necessary change with today’s machines as a stock RZR is in the 94dB range. Also found out they are posting the testing location dates and places ahead of time. Will try to post that information when it is available. BUT they are are also finding the noisy machines on the sand and taken them to be sound testing. If over 99dB they are given tickets.

Also was mentioned how the locals are getting up in arms over the noise from the sand. As I keep saying: NOISE IS OUR NUMBER ONE ENEMY.

·
Registered
270 Posts
But it's fine to run your Harley down the road at twice the level of any atv or side by side out there. Not to mention loud, black smoke blowing diesels that leo's don't seem to mind spewing crap at every light. I've been riding the Oregon dunes since the mid 80's and have always thought people should have better things to worry about, or more mind your own business and I'll mind mine. Cry babies of the world ruin it for everyone. If they weren't shutting it down for sound it would be something else. The lights at night bother me so you should only be able to ride during the day will be the next "great" concern. Or maybe we need to protect the sand from paddle tires, or the air from too much exhaust... I run stock exhaust on all my machines but don't mind people who don't. I mind my own business, as should everyone.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you lived where the noise was intrusive in your living room to the point of total distraction, then you would have a different view. Excessive sound is our sports number one problem and the number one reason for our sport to have a bad rap. I live on a road that has all the noise machines you mention and get extremely tried of the intrusion of others noise that makes us jump in our own home. Why do I have to endure others garbage in my house?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why would you buy a house where you know this takes place? You know there is atv activity and they make noise but you buy a house there anyway? There is a very SMALL amount of real estate that dune riding is permited, VERY SMALL. You can choose to live anywhere you want, so why live there? I say if you choose to live in this very small area you choose to live with the noise. There are tons of other places to live, not tons of other places you can ride the dunes. Buying a house in this area and then complaining about the noise is like buying a house in Oregon and complaining that it rains. Trying to please people has gotten our sport nowhere but smaller and smaller riding areas. If the machines were all electric and made no sound at all there would be something else People would complain about.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have lived in the small house, not on the coast, for 40 plus years. Cops built a gun range a mile away and instead of using a state HWY they run at high speed through our neighborhood. It is a frontage road designed for use of the neighbors not high speed traffic and now 18 wheelers off the interstate. Road has been posed closed to truck traffic for more than 30 years. But who cares how breaking the law effects others as long as they get what they want. Take your view and extend it, get rid of all speed limits, stop lights, stop signs and all rules of the road. That is what you are saying should happen on the dunes. Yes we have lost lots of riding areas on the dunes DUE TO NOISE. I know that as a fact because I was on the front lines fighting to keep the dunes from being closed completely. Which was one of the plans put forth by the Sisulaw Forest Service who manages the dunes. We will continue to loss at every turn if we as users do not take control of the noise problem. But, who cares, right! Each do what you want and hang everyone else as long as I'm having fun. Go as fast on the HWY as I want, run all stop signs and traffic lights as I want. Hang everyone else. It is good as long as I do as I want.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Punishing the masses to please a few is not the answer. Just as the logging industry found out, succumbing to the wants of the few only makes them want more..To continue to try and please the few will surely cause the access and regulations to become so restrictive that few will want to go. It is already that way for many. I know my family, as did many others, quit going for many years in the late 90's early 2000's due to overly excessive law enforcement. It is not too much to ask that the small area designated for ohv use be left alone, as it was for decades, unencumbered by the wants of the few. No riding areas have been closed due to noise, areas have been closed to please the few who feel entitled to have everyone else adhere to their wants. What if you asked the people of the Coos Bay area which they would rather have, all ohv's at 93 decibels or have the millions of dollars spent in their community yearly by people who come there just to ride the dunes, This would be a true answer of what the masses want, not the few.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are so wrong on so many points. Understand you know it all. So will stop wasting my time. LOTS and LOTS of sand dunes closed because of noise. Look at Florence at how many dunes or now closed. Your statement of no riding areas closed due to sound shows you are totally out of touch with reality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts