Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to purchase my first Rzr and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Rzr and RzrS.

Money isn't the big issue, it's the type of riding here in AL. I only have one other friend with a SxS and we'll always be with other 4wheelers so I don't want to have to turn around when they keep going. Is the extra 10 that big of a deal?

If I go standard I'm gonna update the tires and wheels before I leave the dealer...or atleast asap....It's the width in the trails that concerns me. Thanks guys....looking forward to reading lots of opinions on this.

Also, I heard the S doesn't turn as sharp.

·
King of crash!
31,881 Posts
rzr = 50 in rzr s =60.5 in

wider is a better ride you could also go spacers or off set rims to make a reg a little wider but not 60 in

·
Registered
70 Posts
do not worry about the width my s will fit most any where the standard will if you are not worried about a few scratches, the ride of s is waaaaay better,

·
Registered
394 Posts
buy the S they can go anywere a quad can. I had the same delema and bought the regular RZR three weeks later friend bought S. Been kicking myself ever since. Trust me buy the S. they will be the ones selling there quads for one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agonized over this decision for almost two years. When the time came, I decided I was going to get the regular RZR (Walker Evans edition) because I didn't want to be limited to which trails I could access. The dealer had a Walker Evans sitting right next to a pearl white RZR S. As I walked toward them I decided that I could double up with one of my friends on a quad if we ever hit one of those 50" trail because there was no way that I was going home with anything but that badass pearl white S. I've only had it now for about two months and not once have I wondered if I made the wrong choice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
do not worry about the width my s will fit most any where the standard will if you are not worried about a few scratches, the ride of s is waaaaay better,
Or a lot of scratches for that matter.....haha
I wish I could ride where you guys are riding....sometimes I gotta blaze a new trail on my standard because I can't wedge my rzr between 2 trees or w/e the case.....then again I get myself into some real **** sometimes...

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are going to be riding in the mountains on trails get the regular 50" rzr. here in North Idaho the trails are for 50" max OHV and there are gates to go around that a S would not get by. Also some of the trails have places that are narrow and a S would not fit.

So there are places a S will not fit!!!! So make your decision on what type of riding you wil be doing. An S will NOT go everywhere a Quad will go. Also there are a few places a 50" rzr will not go where a Quad will go.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
If you are going to be riding in the mountains on trails get the regular 50" rzr. here in North Idaho the trails are for 50" max OHV and there are gates to go around that a S would not get by. Also some of the trails have places that are narrow and a S would not fit.

So there are places a S will not fit!!!! So make your decision on what type of riding you wil be doing. An S will NOT go everywhere a Quad will go. Also there are a few places a 50" rzr will not go where a Quad will go.
X2

·
Registered
500 Posts
There hasnt been too many times when I had a problem with the width of My S, and most of those times if i was only 50 it would still have been a problem. Every once in a while Im draggin the back tire around a tree but so Far I'm really happy with the width. Much nicer for side hilling and stuff too. Up here there is no trail width restrictions though so you would have to make your choice based on where you are allowed to ride. Myself and 2 other buddys got S's and another buddy got a regular one, and he is kicking himself now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's hard to tell you what would work best without knowing for sure where you intend to ride. I've had to turn back more than once when trying to ride with the guys on quads when we hit spots there was no way to get a 50 inch rzr through, but that tends to be the trails in the northern areas I ride in. On most of those trails, you can get a standard width rzr through, but most of the time you're going to pick up quite a few scratches. Down in southern Utah, while they have several trails that you have to be 50 inch or less to ride, it's only for legal reasons you need the narrow rzr as you could easily get a much wider vehicle through the trail itself.

That said, even here in Utah where they do have a fair number of trails restricted to 50 inches or less, the vast majority of trails are actually roads, and open to jeeps and trucks as well as atvs.

As for upgrading the wheels, one thing to consider if you're going to be riding trails is that the wheels are going to get scratched gouged and dinged a great deal. The aluminum wheels look great on the dunes, and dirt roads, but they aren't necessarily a good choice for the trails

·
Registered
751 Posts
This 50 inch thing is all BS ! Let`s talk real world for a moment shall we.... The vast majority of rzr`s ( non S models ) get after market tires sooner rather than later . This put`s them in the 54 / 55 inch wide range apx, depending on offset ,spacers ,tires ,etc.

My point being that the true difference between the two is 5 or 6 inchs , or more importantly 2 to 3 inchs per side !! That will not turn you back in 95% of the trails you run across.

Also consider when you raise your s shocks up , when you lift it a bit to trail ride you will narrow it an inch or more.

Buy the s or put a mid travel on a le power steering model. My guess is the mid travel on a power steering LE will get you thru the tight trails as good as any of them ....lol

Real world there is not ten inches difference between the two when trail ready.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
This 50 inch thing is all BS ! Let`s talk real world for a moment shall we.... The vast majority of rzr`s ( non S models ) get after market tires sooner rather than later . This put`s them in the 54 / 55 inch wide range apx, depending on offset ,spacers ,tires ,etc.

My point being that the true difference between the two is 5 or 6 inchs , or more importantly 2 to 3 inchs per side !! That will not turn you back in 95% of the trails you run across.

Also consider when you raise your s shocks up , when you lift it a bit to trail ride you will narrow it an inch or more.

Buy the s or put a mid travel on a le power steering model. My guess is the mid travel on a power steering LE will get you thru the tight trails as good as any of them ....lol

Real world there is not ten inches difference between the two when trail ready.....
Reality is if you're riding ATV trails in areas of america where the Feds have made land usage maps, the trails designated for ATV use are restricted to 50 inch or less in many areas, and you face penalties if you're any wider. As for the trails themselves, a couple inches can make a huge difference. It was the same when I was building off road trucks. For some trails, wide with huge tires ruled. For others, you needed as narrow as you could get, and off road rigs built on full size truck chassis couldn't make it. Some of the atv only trails I've ridden not only had areas where you literally rubbed and scraped both sides going through, on some you are literally hanging a tire part way off the side of the trail in spots where rolling down the side of the mountain would be the result of being any wider. It all depend on where, and what you want to ride. If the trail is open to all off road vehicles, or was origninally a road, width is no problem. If it was made for atv's even some of the bigger atv's have trouble getting through on some of the trails. It all depends on where you are planning to ride. Good thing about the rzr is it's the only side by side that can be legally run on the trails I find to be the most fun.

·
Registered
751 Posts
So what your saying is if the RZR does not have stock tires and rims it`s illegal to ride on the 50 inch trails.......

I ride with a couple of slightly wider rzrs and the couple of inch thing, wider on the trails means nothing .The S`s i ride with are a little wider than me and they go every where i do. It is mostly the guys who have the none s that claim this to be true.
Again if it is a legal width issue and 50 is max so be it ,however real world it means a few more scrapes ....lol

As the poster has stated he plans to update the tires/rims asap so he would not be legal on any 50 inch trails anyhow...

·
Registered
164 Posts
The trails can be tight with an S where I am. Southern Alberta Rockies, I have reg rzr and see the fun the S has on the trails. They are going places you would not think you could, infact they are going places they are not supposed to be and now alot of the trails have been closed due to not using the narrow bridges and driving through the creeks instead, or blazing a new trail in areas clearly marked as reclamation areas. It will be your choice in the end what to get but match your rig to your riding area. Respect the area you ride in as well. Dont get me wrong I am not bashing the S I love both styles, I just dont like people that think cuz it will go through something that they can. I know you will have a blast with what ever one you chose.

UNV

·
Registered
76 Posts
like I said before, there are some trails in North Idaho you will not get a rzr S past the gate openings. You can barely get a std 50" rzr past the openings. Fact is one opening I went past, we had to man handle the rzr since the opening curved around a post. This trail was listed as 50" max ORV.

So again, where you ride is very important in making your decision what to buy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It all depends on were you ride. In the local spot we ride, I was with a gang last time out, mostly quads, myself on the rzr with bighorn tires(about 54" wide) and a RZR 4. We got to a trail that the RZR4 could not get through. There was no option, and he had to turn around. Sometimes this isn't bad. If you are 8 miles into a trail though, or perhaps on a one-way trail, it is bad.

Use your best judgement and decide what you can do where you ride. Also, if the rules state nothing wider than 50" on the trails, respect the rules and help keep them open for others in the future. If you go in and rutting the place up with a 60" machine, you damage a lot more than that trail, you damage our entire effort for public trail access.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you are riding with a bunch of quads in the woods (my case) then you should be last in line. I hate holding riders up while I jockey around a tight turn or squeeze between some trees. That way you get to eat their dust.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts