Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

When to have my recall work work done???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my XPT immediately before the recall call came out and have one serious 5 day trail ride and lots of running around my place and road riding. So far I have 500 miles on the buggy and it has performed flawlessly. I have had zero overheating issues. Besides all the accessories, all I have done mechanically is to add the 3-P primary shims.
I will be heading up the east TN on Nov 12th for 5 or 6 more days of serious trail riding and presently have the recall work scheduled with my dealer on Nov 8th and they say they will get it completed that day. After reading all the issues people have had after the recall, I am wondering should I postpone the recall work until after my next trip? That way I do not have to worry about recall related issues spoiling my trip. I could then get the recall work done and have plenty of time to "vet" the work before my next planned trip. My trips are 9 hrs one way so I would be really pissed it I got something fixed that was not broken.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You already know what I'm gonna say. Mine is back in the shop again after riding it in Windrock and Brimstone all week in F'n limp mode when they told me it was fixed.

This is what happed:
So my 2016 XPT has been a piece of s*** since the reflash. Code #1027 keeps popping up and putting me in limp mode. Dealer said it was the stock BOV so I replaced it with an EVO BOV and my dealer said I was ready for Windrock.

So I get down to Windrock, throw it in 4Lo and start climbing the mountain. Boy was the cab getting ever hot! Temps were 225* and then the check engine light came on again. Son of a B****! Now I'm stuck in limp mode climbing Windrock and Brimstone all week.

The power was almost nothing even with foot to the floor and in 4Lo then the boost would explode making some power. Almost felt like I was driving a 2 stroke dirt bike! It was almost impossible to drive while rock climbing and a few times I had to back down and get a running head start keeping the boost up. If I let off, the boost was gone. Almost feels like when you unplug your seat belt while driving, killing any throttle.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ran all weekend with the recall reflash, no issues for me. She felt about the same. If you are concerned about the flash, just get the oil drain done. There is no reason not to get the oil drain done. Mitigating a safety risk and also an insurance headache if your rig burned down without getting recall work done.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have 2 XPT's and had the recall work done just before our Halloween trip to Glamis. Both ran great, with the exception of some Dealer installation issues (wiring and proper reassembly).

Before you leave their parking lot, ask them to double check that they got ALL of the wires plugged back in, and heat cycle the engine once to make sure the fan comes on and cools it down.

I am sure you have read all of the threads on here with all of the different problems that have happened. It seems like most of them have been from poor, rushed installations.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
If you don't have time to get it done then just check the drain bolt with an allen wrench and ride it. Thats what I did, I had a desert trip to put on 300 miles, rode it and then got the recall done after.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
If you go for a ride and your rzr burns down after you got the stop-ride letter then Polaris will tell you to pound sand.

99% of people are taking this risk because the chances are extremely small and like jsandgren said, you can always check the drain bolt before a ride.

I think for a lot of people the service bulletins on the clutch and fan are far more important than the drain tube recall HOWEVER the risk exists and your warranty isn't getting extended until the recall gets done.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I bought my XPT immediately before the recall call came out and have one serious 5 day trail ride and lots of running around my place and road riding. So far I have 500 miles on the buggy and it has performed flawlessly. I have had zero overheating issues. Besides all the accessories, all I have done mechanically is to add the 3-P primary shims.
I will be heading up the east TN on Nov 12th for 5 or 6 more days of serious trail riding and presently have the recall work scheduled with my dealer on Nov 8th and they say they will get it completed that day. After reading all the issues people have had after the recall, I am wondering should I postpone the recall work until after my next trip? That way I do not have to worry about recall related issues spoiling my trip. I could then get the recall work done and have plenty of time to "vet" the work before my next planned trip. My trips are 9 hrs one way so I would be really pissed it I got something fixed that was not broken.
I was in the same boat as you. Rushed to get the recall work done before a Windrock trip. I had just bought a new ECU from EVO before the trip and was scared to install the new ECU without testing it before the trip. Well after the recall on the stock ECU it was constantly in the 210-220 range during the first day of the trip. I changed out the ECU to the EVO flashed ECU the first night at the parking lot and it did not get over 194 the next 2 days. It ran much cooler before the Polaris recall, MUCH hooter after the recall and MUCH cooler than both on the EVO flash. Maybe my dealer screwed it up but if it is running fine now I would wait until after the trip to have it reflashed.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
If you go for a ride and your rzr burns down after you got the stop-ride letter then Polaris will tell you to pound sand.

99% of people are taking this risk because the chances are extremely small and like jsandgren said, you can always check the drain bolt before a ride.

I think for a lot of people the service bulletins on the clutch and fan are far more important than the drain tube recall HOWEVER the risk exists and your warranty isn't getting extended until the recall gets done.
But the reality is Polaris can't tell you to go pound sand. The stop ride letter is a RECOMMENDATION. A company cannot tell you to stop driving your vehicle unless they provide you with reimbursement and/or an equal vehicle while your's sits and waits for parts, and Polaris was very clear that they would not provide either.

Its merely a scare tactic on their part.

·
Captain/Paramedic
80 Posts
I had the recall done, everything that was supposed to be done. The dealer also got the clutch and fan taken care of while it was there. It now runs cooler than it did before and the clutch seems to work better and is smoother. I ride trails in south western AZ and haven't had an over heating issue even before have the recall work done. I would recommend having the recall work done before your ride. JMO

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had the reflash done along with the oil drain and fan upgrade. It has been problem free and hasn't gotten over 204 and no codes or limp modes.
I got the clutch spider and sliders, but haven't bothered with them yet, since I already had the 3P shims installed since new.

My question is- what is the difference in the clutch spider ? I've heard the Polaris shims are noisy, so I was going to skip the Polaris shim install.... Is there any difference in the spider that will benefit changing it ?

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
We took 2 identical machines to the dealer and had the recall done. Mine the fan comes on at 199 and goes off at 192. Before it came on at 204 and off at 192. My buddies still comes on at 204 and off at 192 just like before. I had the clutch done because it was getting noisy again rattling really bad . I had the primary replaced under warranty at 1330 miles when it was starting to hang up a bit. I installed 3P shims at 1500 miles. I had to replace the sliders again at 3000 miles. It started rattling again at 4000 miles so had the primary fix installed at 4250 miles. I've put about 150 miles on since and it seems to be a bit smoother but that is more than likely due to the new belt I had put in a t the same time. Time will tell. I'm betting the additional cooling by the new inlets will help a lot.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback guys. The poll is about 50/50, lol. My dealer is pretty cool and has a great service department, so they will most likely not have a problem letting me stay there and watch as they do the work. I want them to pull the clutch and check the cover bolts behind the primary, I tried but it is stuck and bent my puller trying to get it off. I think I may have everything done and take it for a ride and see how things go. I am sure they will take care of anything that is amiss immediately.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I stopped by the dealer today and they talked me into bringing it in today and letting them do everything. They assured me that everything would be done correctly and stand behind their work. I will have time to put some miles on it prior to my trip so hopefully everything will work out. We will see.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer did the reflash and fan recall already. Took it out a couple of times, 100miles each and no problems at all. They did test and cycled the fan a couple of times before handing it over. I'm taking it to my dealer tomorrow to have the oil drain recall done. Still waiting for the clutch and intake parts to arrive. So far my XPT has been a champ. No trouble so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Same thing here. Did the recall and went on several rides and did some serious miles before it started acting up. Something tells me it's not the Reflash and maybe a sensor or something that's triggering the limp mode. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer...

·
Registered
792 Posts
My RZR blew a crank seal a few days after the stop ride came out and my machine then got to sit for over a month because the dealer couldn't do the engine work and stand behind the repair while adhering to Polaris policy. The recall parts became available about a week and a half before RZR and my dealer promptly began work. After tear down I paid ~$450 in expediting charges to get my dealer the parts asap and they got it back together the Wednesday of the coming Camp RZR weekend. I picked it up Thursday night and then proceeded to drive 12 hours to New Hampshire with a fresh rebuild and a untested recall.

Anyways, long story short... I had no choice but to take an untested machine on a long trip and it performed flawlessly. I even had the luxury of chatting with the software engineer that wrote the code for the XPT project while waiting for the bulletins to get completed at Camp RZR. Incredibly friendly fellow and a joy to talk to. Couldn't get any top secret info out of him, but talked enough to find out that the fan temperature changes and a few other safeties are really all they added.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My machine had approx 800 miles on it before I did recall, has apprx 1000 miles now, and it has never overheated. I can't remember when fan came on prior to recall but I'm thinking it came on after it reached 200, now it comes on at 195 and goes off at 190 vs 192 pre-reflash. I can't tell any difference performance wise, my buggy has ran great from day one. Although, I do think it starts a little easier, runs cooler now and throttle response may be a tad smoother. I got the recall done for piece of mind and to protect my machine.

Riding today, gotta go!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts