Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2020 Pro X 2seat..... will be climbing over trees and large rocks at time in the Midwest, what value are aftermarket skid plates and which brands stand the test best. Also wondering if mud retention comes into play.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the SATV 1/2" full skid plate on a xp4t. Dont think the pro has a full skid available yet.

Must must must have if you are into playing on the rocks or climbing stuff where you will be bottoming out.

Installation wasnt terrible. They recommend that you put your rzr on its side. I did mine with it sitting up right, picked up roughly 2' off the floor of my garage. Took about 3 hours i think.

My arms were about ready to fall off afterwards.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is one item I am on the other side of. I ride wooded trails and rocks mostly, so I do use the skid plate almost every ride, but I am not bashing it. Sure, I have, but typically not. I don't understand the point of replacing a perfectly good stock plate until you break it or damage it. Sure, if you really plan to beat the crap out of it maybe. I am on my 3rd year with my machine and have beat on it pretty hard, high centered on rocks and logs etc, but have only scratched it up a fair amount. I plan to run it as long as it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am curious why so many say it's such a high priority? To me, bumpers, wheels, tires, winch, roof, windshield, lower doors, storage, etc is a much higher priority just to use the machine and be able to recover yourself to some degree. A skid plate just adds damage protection to the bottom side, that is already protected to some degree. But so many make it like it's a top priority. Why? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Its definitely terrain dependent but the bottom is hardly protected. The stock skidplate is worthless. If you ride any kind of rocks or mud/trees ect where you going to bottom out then they are absolutely necessary. They also protect the occupants from sticks coming through the floor, they help protect the fuel tank and wiring, cooling lines ect.

If you’re never bottoming out then I would agree they aren’t necessary. I wouldn’t survive 2 rides with the stock skidplate where we ride.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This is one item I am on the other side of. I ride wooded trails and rocks mostly, so I do use the skid plate almost every ride, but I am not bashing it. Sure, I have, but typically not. I don't understand the point of replacing a perfectly good stock plate until you break it or damage it. Sure, if you really plan to beat the crap out of it maybe. I am on my 3rd year with my machine and have beat on it pretty hard, high centered on rocks and logs etc, but have only scratched it up a fair amount. I plan to run it as long as it holds together.

Are you being serious or are we trolling this afternoon?

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,127 Posts
I am curious why so many say it's such a high priority? To me, bumpers, wheels, tires, winch, roof, windshield, lower doors, storage, etc is a much higher priority just to use the machine and be able to recover yourself to some degree. A skid plate just adds damage protection to the bottom side, that is already protected to some degree. But so many make it like it's a top priority. Why? Am I missing something?

Maybe the same reason you don't put a skid plate high on the list is the same reason I don't put bumpers high on the list (or on the list at all)? I have zero use for a bumper really, all those do is take away some of my approach angle lol, but I know why a lot of people run them too, I ordered a full 1/2" skid plate for my RZR on the drive home from the dealer on the other hand.

As i said, it's all terrain & riding dependent, I've seen a factory skid reduces to chunks of plastic on a brand new machine in 2 days before. SNWMBL made some good points above about the benefits, and necessity of a skid plate, but if you don't ride where your belly is dragging or hitting, or with a bunch of loose debris around, then it's probably not high on your priority list, or if just wanna risk the damage, then that's up to you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you being serious or are we trolling this afternoon?
I'm being 100% serious. How hard do you guys beat on your machines? I ride rocks and woods mostly. Don't like mud, but if it's in my path it sure won't stop me. I ride many trails in Arkansas and SE Ok including Disney Ok where rocks tear up all sorts of things. I guess I'm more delicate when I know I'm going to hit letting the machine set down on rocks instead of smacking into them. I've climbed rutted up rocky trails where I'm dragging hard enough I high centered and had to back down and hammer on it to get up the trail, dragging on rocks the entire way. I ride the machine hard, and am not afraid to challenge it, but I guess my keeping years taught me when to be delicate and when to hammer it.

I definitely do understand the concern of stocks coming through, which is why I'm planning to add the guards in the front floorboard area, but I also actively avoid sticks that may target that area.

Primary reason for my bumpers is others not stopping if I hit the breaks, and so I can make my way through small trees in case I need to make a path, and not because I plan to hit trees. I actually wasn't going to put any on either, until I saw how others in the group bump into each other.

I do ride an S which does have a full skid plate that covers the entire bottom, I'm not sure if the xp has the same.

Here is an example of some of my riding styles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah its a matter of time before you bend your frame, knock holes in your floor boards, knock the bottom of your battery box out, or knock a hole in your trans case.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Pictures didn't load. Here is a sample of the places and trails we go on. Most I am driving so I don't get too many pics.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah its a matter of time before you bend your frame, knock holes in your floor boards, knock the bottom of your battery box out, or knock a hole in your trans case.
Why would I bend the frame? I'm not banging around,,,, I gently drive over things I know I will hit. Floor boards, battery box, and trans case are all protected with the stock ¹/⁴" or so thick skid. I realize aftermarket is better, but if you don't beat on it, there isn't any reason it won't do a reasonable job. And if you are beating on it, there are many many things that will need upgraded. Like I said, my stock one covers more than yours,,,, or maybe I just don't beat on mine like most, but I haven't had any issues. I've had more issues with my roof than I have with the skid. Broke it 4 times from being wedged up against trees.

·
Registered
287 Posts
And from your profile name, it sounds like you came from the jeep world as well. I take this rzr the same places I take my XJ as long as my wheelbase will let me keep the front wheels on the ground (or mostly), I'm going.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Main reason. I just ordered a Factory UTV 1/2” skid for our rig is to prevent sticks coning through the floor, and also to help protect the rig on our Spring Drummond Island trip.

Here is a pic of the factory XP4 skid. Notice it only protects the driveline in the front half. Then the gas tank/ battery and motor are protected in the rear.

0CDAAFB4-856A-48B6-9ED8-9652A62DB7E7.jpeg

·
Vendor
1,550 Posts
And from your profile name, it sounds like you came from the jeep world as well. I take this rzr the same places I take my XJ as long as my wheelbase will let me keep the front wheels on the ground (or mostly), I'm going.

You've been lucky. Wait till you climb a big rock, slide off and land on a pointed rock. I've had two customers that put that pointed rock thru their skid plate and punctured their oil pan. Toasted the motor when it ran out of oil before they knew it.
A good UHMW skid plate is cheap insurance and among the first thing that should be added if you do rocks.
Glad the stock one works for you, but most of us think they suck for anything other than sand.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts