Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey---I'm still riding dirt bikes but getting a little long in the tooth and so I'll be retiring the bike soon in favor of a SXS. I'm looking at the RZR vs Can Am and seeking advise from the guys that know these machines. Here, I would expect to learn a lot about Polaris RZR's from the guys that know them---advantages, things that aren't so good----what's needed by way of options, and most specifically, typical issues with reliability---etc. I'm looking forward to reading and learning---and am all ears . Thanking you for your comments

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Welcome to the Addiction!!!(R)

ALL SXS's have problems. dont matter who. But the RZR leads the SXS industry for a reason. Just my $.02

·
Administrator
50,353 Posts
I have driven both ,I have owned a few rzrs, the biggest issue I have come across with the can am is the drive by wire system shutting down power to the wheels when you need it most to get out of trouble, and I am not fond of sitting next to a hot loud engine .Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Welcome... I went from dirt bikes to dual sports to ATV's and now SXS as I aged.
We have a large group of riders with all brands and kind of ATV's and UTV's.
So I get to experience most all of them.
I went with the RZR S LE, as it fit my needs the best. I did not need the 50" width restriction any more.
I passed on the XP 900 only because of the access to the air cleaner was through the the bottom of the bed. And I do a lot of long distance over night camp and rides. Which required a box for my gear in the back and removal to service the filter would be to difficult.
As for the Can AM...I would pass on them, as the engine sets next to you and generates a lot of heat and very noisy. They also have a lot more fancy electrical devices that seem to have many gremlins.
But on the other hand if you can put with those issues, they have some neat features. Like more cargo storage, slightly better seats and a great looks.
The other thing is that the RZR is a true sport UTV where the Can Am is a cross between sport and utility.
And with the RZR S you can still load it into the back of a pickup VS the XP 900.
Hope this helps....just my two cents...DRK

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
you dont need to get at the air box alot so it would of been fine the extra power of the xp is great...

·
Registered
891 Posts
All in all polaris has really figured it out , you just cant beat the fun factor with the rzr, and the aftermarket is absolutely endless possibilities.

SENT FROM MY DROID

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey---I'm still riding dirt bikes but getting a little long in the tooth and so I'll be retiring the bike soon in favor of a SXS. I'm looking at the RZR vs Can Am and seeking advise from the guys that know these machines. Here, I would expect to learn a lot about Polaris RZR's from the guys that know them---advantages, things that aren't so good----what's needed by way of options, and most specifically, typical issues with reliability---etc. I'm looking forward to reading and learning---and am all ears . Thanking you for your comments
I went from dirt bikes to a Rzr also. I am not real old yet, but my CR250R hasn't been ridden since the Rzr purchase. The Rzr is just more fun...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Can't go wrong with a RZR. Google RZR vs CanAm. When a 800 RZR beats a 1000 CanAm 4 out 5, You decide!

·
I just wanna ride
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What type of riding do you see yourself doing? Dunes, desert, forest, ect

Oh crap, what a dumb ass I am. With a name like DeseretRider I bet you do desert riding. Then go with the XP

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some good information coming in----Got me thinking. It's good to hear from guys that know their machines.
What kind of fuel milage do these things get out in the boonies? Is there a significant difference between the 800's and ---say---the XP 900 that is now beginning to enter my horizon?
We would be using it on family outings more than with a 'group' and I know if we ever got it 'stuck' it would be stuck really good and without others to help----so do we need a winch?

What about power steering-----is it worth the money?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Depends if you have your foot in it or not, i did a 75 mi trail ride in my 900 on a 1/2 a tank.
Power steering!?
I'm getting power steering installed on Monday. A must have hands down. Wish i had it installed months ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"What type of riding do you see yourself doing? Dunes, desert, forest, ect"

Not dunes---but some sand washes---and double track desert country. Also, in summer time we love to ride the hi country dirt roads which sometimes get pretty 'sticky" if it rains----. We also lived in Moab, Utah for 17 years and biked all that rough red rock country---and would probably take the UTV there but don't ride the bike there much now because the trails are rocky and bumpy and rough ---or deep sand. That about all you get down there. It's tougher country than we like now that we are well past our 65 retirement age. So we won't be too hard on a machine and don't want one that requires a lot of repair ---though we don't mind preventative maintenance.

Also, I've heard that there are 'gates' that limit wider UTV's----don't know if there are many of those around here but I'm curious to know how much I should weigh that factor in a decision since it is quite possible that we will haul it around the west on sight seeing trips---etc? Are there a lot of those 'gates'? Are they BLM or Forest Service?----What's the rashionall for having them out there anyway?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Some good information coming in----Got me thinking. It's good to hear from guys that know their machines.
What kind of fuel milage do these things get out in the boonies? Is there a significant difference between the 800's and ---say---the XP 900 that is now beginning to enter my horizon?
We would be using it on family outings more than with a 'group' and I know if we ever got it 'stuck' it would be stuck really good and without others to help----so do we need a winch?

What about power steering-----is it worth the money?
The only time i needed my winch was to pull a toyota pu out of the mud at lake pleasant but it's comforting knowing i have one if needed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts