Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a buddy tell me about a bill that passed in March for Oklahoma. It sounds like we will be able to get our UTVs tagged and street legal, starting November 1st. I did some digging and found the actual bill online. It’s Oklahoma HB 3415. I have the PDF saved, but I’m not sure how to post it here. Also, sorry if this has been discussed previously, I missed it if so.
Does anybody have any more info or knowledge about this?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Click the link next to “download” and it’ll bring up all 29 pages.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope it pans out for us! Definitely going to set up one of my machines to be street legal if so. I just hope they don’t require a ton of extra equipment to be installed on the machines. I can see DOT approved tires, turn signals, windshield wiper, and horn being necessary. I’m not willing to get too crazy with adding a bunch of other stuff above those items.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe you’ll luck out. What’s required here is it must be registered as a motor vehicle and display a proper license plate. It must be equipped with a mirror, horn, headlight, and brake lights.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you’ll luck out. What’s required here is it must be registered as a motor vehicle and display a proper license plate. It must be equipped with a mirror, horn, headlight, and brake lights.
I could definitely deal with those terms. Pretty straight forward and simple

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You’re right. I just looked a little closer at it. It passed the house vote with 85 in favor and 3 against. Says it’s been sent to senate now and the first reading is done. Not sure what all that means. 85-3 sounds pretty positive though. Lol

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Update:
4/6/2020 Bill was sent to the finance committee and then to appropriates committee.

dang this moves slow.🧑‍🦽

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any current news? I drive mine on the streets all the time near Jenks/Glenpool. I've gotten 2 tickets and beat each one of them in court because I have a farm and its a farm vehicle.

Can't wait till I don't have to hide as much. It's been a couple months since the last post. What do we know?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Any current news? I drive mine on the streets all the time near Jenks/Glenpool. I've gotten 2 tickets and beat each one of them in court because I have a farm and its a farm vehicle.

Can't wait till I don't have to hide as much. It's been a couple months since the last post. What do we know?
It was stalled in the senate do to CV-19

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just found out about this. From reading the above it's looking pretty good. I will see what else I can learn.

Here's the main parts of the bill that talks about "Street legal utility vehicles"

HB3415​

A. A "street-legal utility vehicle (UTV)" is any motor vehicle having: 1. A bench seat or side by side seat for the use of each rider; 2. Four wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor; 3. A combustion engine with a piston or rotor displacement of four hundred cubic centimeters (400 cu cm) or greater and capable of maintaining speeds of forty five (45) miles per hour or greater; 4. For each occupant, safety belts or safety shoulder harnesses which shall be of a type and shall be installed pursuant to 49 C.F.R., Section 571.208 et seq.; and 5. All equipment required by the provisions of Article II et seq. of Chapter 12 of this title, with respect to equipment on vehicles. B. A street-legal UTV operated on the streets and highways of this state shall be registered as a motor vehicle. C. The operator of a street-legal UTV shall not be required to have an "M" endorsement on the Class D license pursuant to Section 6-110.1 of this title. The operator shall be at least sixteen (16) years of age and hold a valid Oklahoma driver license.
5. Street-legal utility vehicles registered as a motor vehicle pursuant to subsection B of Section 1 of this act. Provided, however, street-legal utility vehicles shall not be operated on the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.
35. "Street-legal utility vehicle (UTV)" means a vehicle meeting the description and specifications of Section 1 of this act;
Section 1113. A. 1. Except for all-terrain vehicles, utility vehicles and motorcycles used exclusively off roads and highways, upon the filing of a registration application and the payment of the fees provided for in the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act, the Oklahoma Tax Commission or Corporation Commission, as applicable, shall assign to the vehicle described in the application a distinctive number, and issue to the owner of the vehicle a certificate of registration, one license plate and a yearly decal.
2. The operation of a street-legal utility vehicle on the streets and highways of this state requires the vehicle be issued a certificate of registration and license plate to be renewed annually. Upon the filing of a registration application and the payment of the fees provided for in the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act, the Oklahoma Tax Commission or Corporation Commission, as applicable, shall assign to the vehicle described in the application a distinctive number, and issue to the owner of the vehicle a certificate of registration, one license plate and a yearly decal. For each subsequent registration year, the Tax Commission shall issue a yearly decal to be affixed to the license plate. The initial decal for a street-legal utility vehicle shall be attached to the front of the vehicle and shall be in clear view. The yearly decal shall have an identification number and the last two numbers of the registration year for which it shall expire. Except as provided by Section 1113A of this title, the license plate shall be affixed to the exterior of the vehicle until a replacement license plate is issued. If the owner applies for a replacement license plate, the Tax Commission shall charge the fee provided for in Section 1114 of this title. The yearly decal will validate the license plate for each registration period other than the year the license plate is issued. The license plate and decal shall be of such size, color, design and numbering as the Tax Commission may direct. However, yearly decals issued to the owner of a vehicle who has filed an affidavit with the appropriate motor license agent in accordance with Section 7-607 of this title shall be a separate and distinct color from all other decals issued under this section.

E. Vehicles meeting the specifications and description of a street-legal utility vehicle as described in Section 1 of this act shall be required to receive a certificate of registration, license plate and yearly decal before operation on the streets and highways of this state.

From what I can see it does look like DOT approved tires ect. will be required. Each agency may enforce it differently even if its state law.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Looks like the clock is counting down for us!!! I need to get my license plate holder mounted up!! Looks like other states issued paper temp tags once they were legalized until the hard plates were made!!! Just in time for summer!!!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder what our machines will be required to have as far as turns signals, type of tires, etc. by law?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I wonder what our machines will be required to have as far as turns signals, type of tires, etc. by law?
I read through the bill which is now law. Signed by the Governor yesterday, 04/28/21!! Has an emergency clause so its in effect immediately.

Basic requirements are lights, turn signals, horn, windshield or eye protection. No DOT tire requirement.

I already been to the tag office. They weren't aware. They sent an email to the Oklahoma Tax Commission, (OTC) asking about it. For those that don't know in Oklahoma the OTC issues plates. Hope to hear something back today, 04/29/21.

·
craigstumph
13,477 Posts
He guys Pro UTV Parts has all of these items for your machines in Oklahoma. Let me know what you need and we can get a group buy going on for your Machines. We have a large stock of XTC and Ryco kits. We also have Wd Electronics as well as Corbin kits. Glass and plastic windshields are available from all the popular manufacturers. Start a conversation with Craig to get in on this group buy.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts