Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2013 rzr 800. I have been looking online for a simplified oil ( front diff, rear diff, trans, transfercase, engine, ect) list and the weights/types. Hopefully this will help others also to have it all in Hopefully one place.
I dont have access to a dealer thats Close my closest one is 55+ miles I believe. So to drive there just for oils to me does not make sense. I do have a Advanced Auto 2 miles away.
And no I really don't want to order online and some people don't have that option also.

So if anyone has any options to use instead of OEM, and from a auto store (types & weights) that would help. I have found this information but its all scattered and somewhat confusing to someone that is new to RZRs. Thank you for the help!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for fast reply! I have read that one, and came out even more confused then I went into that one lol.. its just a runaway forum posting that seems to have good interests but bad delivery for easy-to-use information.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I have a 2013 rzr 800. I have been looking online for a simplified oil ( front diff, rear diff, trans, transfercase, engine, ect) list and the weights/types. Hopefully this will help others also to have it all in Hopefully one place.
I dont have access to a dealer thats Close my closest one is 55+ miles I believe. So to drive there just for oils to me does not make sense. I do have a Advanced Auto 2 miles away.
And no I really don't want to order online and some people don't have that option also.

So if anyone has any options to use instead of OEM, and from a auto store (types & weights) that would help. I have found this information but its all scattered and somewhat confusing to someone that is new to RZRs. Thank you for the help!!!
Just do an internet serch for interchange of replacement oils of you choice and you get quite a few different options. John Deere and other tractor supply places will probably have similar oils. I remember the Polaris AGL is just 70 to 90 wt. gear oil. The front diff takes another John Deere oil 4.00 a Qt.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,726 Posts
I don't know if this guy knows what he's talking about, but here's one attempt:

Reactions: Sanman67 and 185EZ

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you for fast reply! I have read that one, and came out even more confused then I went into that one lol.. its just a runaway forum posting that seems to have good interests but bad delivery for easy-to-use information.
Yeah it’s a mess. Some people like to over think and over analyze trivial things. It’s odd.

Rotella T6 5W40 for engine oil. I don’t necessarily think it’s the “best” but it’s a solid oil, reasonably priced (and even cheaper when they run their rebates), and available everywhere. I change it twice a year....spring and fall.

Any good quality synthetic 75W90 for the rear gearbox.

I then use universal tractor transmission fluid for everything else including the front differential. Currently use Champion 4000.

Simple and only requires 3 types of fluids. Works great.

·
Registered
100 Posts

0W-40 is the best all around use oil. Has the widest range of temp operations and is SXS specifically engineered. I used polaris oil but it's not that good and causes lifter rattle. This is what I'm using.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
There is nothing wrong with ordering oil online but personally, I like walking into a store, buying what I need, and walking out with it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
OP....for what it’s worth, Rotella has a good rebate going on for their T6 oil. I use a lot of it for 4 ATVs/RZR, a Kubota tractor, and a Toyota pickup so I buy it by the 2.5 gallon jugs. Bear in mind, you have to buy from certain retailers on their list. Bought some tonight and it was $55 per 2.5 gallons but the rebate is $20 per 2.5 gallon jug. Good price on a solid oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So yesterday I took the time to drive the 1.5hours to my closest polaris dealer ( used to have 1 only 30minutes away) but anyway. I spoke to them. This is a family owned and operated one too. I did by the polaris oils there. But, I also asked the question about the oils and what can I use instead. So this is straight from a polaris dealer that even said he does this exact thing an not run the polaris oils.
1. Motor: Rotella T6 5w-40 with K&N filter for easier on and off cause of the nut on the filter
2. Front diff, transfer, and transmission,: use a synthetic ATF ( mobile 1, valve line ect) but he did say make sure its synthetic.
3. Rear diff: 75-90 gear oil and again make sure its synthetic.

The biggest thing that I am noticing is that its like a car the better the oils the better its going to work and treat you sXs. He said to always use a synthetic that is the biggest thing. Stick to the proper types in each and always synthetic and you will be golden!. Hes words not mine. So hopefully this clears it up for alot of people like myself.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This is good stuff due to its high zinc content.
Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. 9001-012S Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic Racing Oil 5W-50

·
Registered
100 Posts
So yesterday I took the time to drive the 1.5hours to my closest polaris dealer ( used to have 1 only 30minutes away) but anyway. I spoke to them. This is a family owned and operated one too. I did by the polaris oils there. But, I also asked the question about the oils and what can I use instead. So this is straight from a polaris dealer that even said he does this exact thing an not run the polaris oils.
1. Motor: Rotella T6 5w-40 with K&N filter for easier on and off cause of the nut on the filter
2. Front diff, transfer, and transmission,: use a synthetic ATF ( mobile 1, valve line ect) but he did say make sure its synthetic.
3. Rear diff: 75-90 gear oil and again make sure its synthetic.

The biggest thing that I am noticing is that its like a car the better the oils the better its going to work and treat you sXs. He said to always use a synthetic that is the biggest thing. Stick to the proper types in each and always synthetic and you will be golden!. Hes words not mine. So hopefully this clears it up for alot of people like myself.
Well I don't care what any dealer says they are all full of crap and most don't even know how to work on the machines they sell. So you cleared nothing up for anyone. Polaris uses and recommends 0w 50 oil. 5w 50 is a good viscosity and won't hurt anything. I prefer 0w 40 it is a do all in any temperature oil. I don't understand why everyone uses Rotella. I get it's cheap but it's designed for diesel engines. Why not get a powersport specific oil?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
People use the T6 oil cause it has the zinc in it that helps keep motors running smoothly and less wear on parts. Zinc is a great additive to have for that, that is why race motors need it to help the brake down of parts. These motors get beat on hard most of the time so I see the point. And if you think that polaris is using great oil I would have to differ on that cause most OEMs use oils and fluids that are just good enough. But I could be wrong, and will admit to it if proven wrong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
People use the T6 oil cause it has the zinc in it that helps keep motors running smoothly and less wear on parts. Zinc is a great additive to have for that, that is why race motors need it to help the brake down of parts. These motors get beat on hard most of the time so I see the point. And if you think that polaris is using great oil I would have to differ on that cause most OEMs use oils and fluids that are just good enough. But I could be wrong, and will admit to it if proven wrong.
I don't think polaris oil or any dealer brand is top notch at all. I run a high zinc oil also. Maxima SXS 0w 40. I can't jump on the diesel oil kick.

·
Registered
273 Posts
FYI....if you want to use T6.....Shell has had something like 50%+ production capacity shut down recently and it likely won’t be back up to normal for awhile. Might not be a bad idea to stock up because it might be hard to find later this year. Not sure how quickly they can get back up to normal production. There is also currently a nice rebate for T6 but you have to buy from certain retailers and there is a limit on how much you can get but it’s still a lot....I use a lot of T6 in various engines I own and it’s still enough for me to max the rebate and I’ll have enough for this entire year. I recently bought several 2.5 gallon jugs for $50 each and there’s a $20 rebate per 2.5 gallon jug. Without tax it’s about $3.00 per quart. Pretty good price for a synthetic oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts