Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anyone have any recommendations on getting a stuck oil pressure relief valve. I have soaked the valve with sea foam penetrating oil over night still won't move with a magnet. Also took a little heat tried to heat the valve up it's stuck in the lowest position so hard to get down to. Also started the machine with plug removed hoping that would push it up no luck there. Last thing I tried was pushing air threw the oil filter. Nothing has worked. Has anyone drilled the valve? Was wondering how hard the dowel or valve itself is. Really don't want to pull the motor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine got stuck once and i used a magnet to unstick it... Sprayed WD-40 in the hole,took me awhile to get it to move but once i got it moving a lil i crunk my rzr up and kept the magnet on it and worked it up and down until it came out... once i did get it out i put the dowel in a drill and used 2000 grit sand paper and Mothers metal polish to get it realllyy smooth..mine hasnt stuck again! good luck man!

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Dose anyone have any recommendations on getting a stuck oil pressure relief valve. I have soaked the valve with sea foam penetrating oil over night still won't move with a magnet. Also took a little heat tried to heat the valve up it's stuck in the lowest position so hard to get down to. Also started the machine with plug removed hoping that would push it up no luck there. Last thing I tried was pushing air threw the oil filter. Nothing has worked. Has anyone drilled the valve? Was wondering how hard the dowel or valve itself is. Really don't want to pull the motor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
So, its stuck all the way down, thats giving full unrelieved oil pressure to the motor.
Let me make sure I understand what you did.
You took out the plug and spring on top of the valve and started the engine and the valve didn't come out ? If so...

Thats incredible, got to be over 100+lbs of cold oil pressure behind that little dowel pin. I would of thought that thing might shoot out of there like a bullet. If you try that again, put a rag over it and keep your face clear.
No clue what to tell you try. Wouldn't recommend drilling in your oil gallery at all with out the motor disassembled so i could clean it out completely from both ends. Never really looked, but might be a spot to drive it out from once the motor is all apart.

Hey, maybe someone else has got an idea how to get it out with the motor all together and not do any damage. I'm fresh out of ideas if 100psi oil pressure didn't shoot that mofo out of there...

jmo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was completely my thought on the oil pressure. even if the motor is tore apart were can you get to the dowl from? I'm lost.
And yes I did pull the plug and the spring then put a magnet on the dowel then had a buddie start it while I pulled the magnet still didn't budge.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
That was completely my thought on the oil pressure. even if the motor is tore apart were can you get to the dowl from? I'm lost.
And yes I did pull the plug and the spring then put a magnet on the dowel then had a buddie start it while I pulled the magnet still didn't budge.
Damn, that suks. Sounds like that sucker is pressed in... lol. Don't think a magnet is going to do the trick.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also thinking out loud. If I was able to drill into it the passage would still be blocked. So if I didn't drill all the way threw then vacuumed it out the metal shavings couldn't enter the passage. Then could maybe get a screw or easy out into it.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Also thinking out loud. If I was able to drill into it the passage would still be blocked. So if I didn't drill all the way threw then vacuumed it out the metal shavings couldn't enter the passage. Then could maybe get a screw or easy out into it.
Did any oil come out when you started it with plug and spring removed ?
How did you find out the dowel is jammed closed ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well oil pooled on top of the dowel. But very little. And I can see we're the dowel travels it is defiantly down as it will not push down with a magnet. I have not tried to tap it down with a punch as I was afraid of jamming it more.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Here's a few pic's to illustrate the internals of the oiling system .........

I suggest you don't tap the dowel as the shaft is not fully machined -- Study the pic's ....

This should give you an idea how to dislodge -- Good Luck !!

:ride:

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
From the sounds of it, you can't jam in any worse than it is.

So how did this all come about. What made you look at the dowel in the first place and decide there was a problem with it ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got to reading on here that it is something that needs to be checked. I had just bought a oil pressure gauge was going to install. Thought I would check this before installing gauge.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Got to reading on here that it is something that needs to be checked. I had just bought a oil pressure gauge was going to install. Thought I would check this before installing gauge.
Damn, think I just got punked... lmao:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

But, if for some unknown reason, you took a good running engine and just decided to check 'yore dowel pin' because of a post on here. And took this post way out of context of a possible problem with 1, or at most, a very few dowel pin problems, compared to the thousands and thousands that have no problem. Then not sure what to tell ya bud...
Oh ya, and this engine just happens to have a dowel that is so jammed in, it wont even come out with the engine running... :pint:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Motor had an oil seal go out was leaking oil out the weap hole. Had been sitting for awhile. It's my fathers. Should of checked it when I had the motor out and the front cover off.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was in your shoes. I was about to drill mine and put an easy out into it. As soon I as I tapped it to put a small dimple to keep the drill bit from walking, the dowel started moving down. I continued to tap it down a little at a time. These were some what gentle taps, don't try to drive in through the case.

Once I did that it started moving up and down with the magnet. A few minutes later it came out.

Just use a long nail and give it a little tap. I am betting it will move down for you. Let us know what happens.

As you already stated, I was going to drill mine, clean often and use the magnet. I was trying for two days to get it out.

Good idea to check it, I lost my motor over mine. I will probably remove it every few weekends to make sure it is moving free. Yes, that is overkill, but I will have $3,000 in to this motor because of it.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Don't try to drill it. The top is rounded slightly and the dowel it hardened. Going to take a heck if a lick to center punch it and you will most likely just drive it further and further in the hole.

We pulled the motor on jeheezies and popped it out from the inside after soaking, using compressed air and attempting to drill. Going back in today

Good luck, be patient

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Any effort to move the "dowel" in its bore will be greatly facilitated by first running the engine to heat-up the engine block. Since the block is aluminum, and the dowel is steel, and, since aluminum has a greater thermal coefficient of expansion than steel, pre-running the engine will cause the relief-valve bore to expand slightly (a coupla' thou) more than the dowel, which will allow it to move more freely/readily than if the bore and the dowel are at the same temperature. My two-bits.......

Cheers

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
I would install the oil pressure gauge. Remove the relief valve spring and reinstall the plug. Start the engine and let it run to normal operating temp watching the newly installed gauge. when the oil pressure drops the dowel came loose. It won't be the pressure that frees it up it will be the temperature expansion of the block and dowel.

Be careful revving the engine cold. My engine will hit over 200 PSI cold with a stuck valve.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I would install the oil pressure gauge. Remove the relief valve spring and reinstall the plug. Start the engine and let it run to normal operating temp watching the newly installed gauge. when the oil pressure drops the dowel came loose.......
Good procedure, RZR Jeff! Should work quite well in those cases where somebody hasn't dinged-up or scored their dowel.

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, the dowel in my engine stuck and I took it to the shop that just did all my new engine work and they tried to take the dowel out with a magnet with no luck. They told me they would have to pull the motor and once they did they still had a hard time getting it out.

The reason they looked at the oil pressure relief valve and the dowel pin was that the motor had so much oil pressure it was blowing oil filter seals.

The shop is replacing the dowel pin, and putting on a Holtz Racing oil pressure relief valve.

What causes the dowel pin to stick in the first place? The shop didn't know and Matt at Holtz Racing was helpful but didn't know either.

Is this one of those design flaws???

Thanks for any comments,

Chris:rzrs:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts