Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 RZR 800:

I think my dowel is missing. Is this something I should be able to see easily? I don't see anything in the hole after removing the plug and spring. Is it steel or aluminum? I have a magnet that fits in the hole but its not grabbing anything.

I just did an engine rebuild. I went to re-torque the head bolts after running it for the first few minutes and noticed there wasn't a puddle of oil under the valve cover. Lead me to trouble shoot the oil system.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
It is steel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drat, then its not in there. I dont have it in any of my parts bags and didnt find it after sweeping the floor. Starting to wonder if I ever had one. I haven't owned this machine very long. We did pull the plug on the rebuild to clean out the oil paths. Now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing it and I'm not sure if I put the plug on or my son did. As much as I would like to blame the boy, instead of me :) I should have supervised it going back in. Might explain why the original cam shaft broke.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
You should have these parts, bolt, washer, spring and dowel.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It may be stuck and not come out with the magnet. I rebuilt an 800 years ago, she was ticking pretty bad on start up and the Dow was stuck. Engine came back out and front cover came off. I pulled the oil pump and with a smaller Allen wrench I was able to pop the dowel up and got it out with the magnet. Look for any scoring in the bore for the dowel. Hopefully it is just missing. Also a lot of people are replacing the dowel with two 8mm ball bearings. Search the web and you will find some info. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
On one of my 800's the dowel was stuck in there pretty good, I would work it out a little with the magnet, then push it back in. It went like that for probably a half hour before it finally came out. I doubt you would be able to put 2 dowels, the spring and still get the bolt back in so I think you will figure out weather its in there or not one way or another.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info guys. The magnet doesn't feel like its sticking to anything in the hole which makes believe it is gone.

Now if I understand how the system works, high oil pressure (clogged filter condition) would cause the dowel to lift against the spring, opening the bypass passage for un-filtered oil to flow to the main oil gallery. So if its stuck closed in the passage the system is operating normally. I do have a new filter installed. My problem right now is no oil under the valve cover.

I'll try to thread a wire down in there and see if it will reach in to the passages. I like the ball bearing idea and do agree it would be impossible to stuff 2 dowels in there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have not done this so do so at your own risk but I have heard of removing the bolt and spring and then hold a strong magnet over the hole and cover it with a rag. Then, have someone crank the engine over and try to use oil pressure to force the dowel up. If it’s missing, I would expect oil to spray out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It takes a little while for the oil to get to the top, it needs good oil pressure and has to move all the way up the pushrods to get there. Your understanding of the oil system and mine are the same ( that doesn’t mean it’s correct haha) but if it works the way you and I think with the dowel removed it would be in bypass mode and may not create the pressure needed to move oil up the pushrods and out. Keep us posted w the findings. I’m learning too

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not done this so do so at your own risk but I have heard of removing the bolt and spring and then hold a strong magnet over the hole and cover it with a rag. Then, have someone crank the engine over and try to use oil pressure to force the dowel up. If it’s missing, I would expect oil to spray out.
Great idea and disclaimer noted. I was debating whether to put it back together enough to start it or wait for the new dowel I ordered. I've just replaced the wire harness to chase another problem and I need to know where I'm at with that. Your suggestion should give me the definitive answer on the dowel.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It takes a little while for the oil to get to the top, it needs good oil pressure and has to move all the way up the pushrods to get there. Your understanding of the oil system and mine are the same ( that doesn’t mean it’s correct haha) but if it works the way you and I think with the dowel removed it would be in bypass mode and may not create the pressure needed to move oil up the pushrods and out. Keep us posted w the findings. I’m learning too
Glad we're thinking alike on this. 4x4 gave me a great suggestion. I'm going back together with it. Oh, maybe I didn't mention. On first run, the ground wire from the stator fried. I think it was a bad frame ground that I since cleaned up. Bummer is I had to pull it back out to change the stator. Wishing now, that I peeled back the next layer to recheck the oil pump and the relief valve.

I'll prime the engine with oil again and I just bought an oil pressure tester. Ridiculous these things don't have an oil pressure gauge or warning light. Quadovator has a mod to install a pressure gauge. Think I'll do that since I have everything tore apart.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big thanks. This exactly worked. My wife was watching the hole and said something was spit out of it with a spurt of oil. Turns out it was the dowel. Very glad it was there because it means we didn't do something stupid putting it together. I'm surprised my magnet didn't grab it before and it still won't. Did polish it up when I put it back and I still have a new one shipping in.

I ran the engine a few time for several minutes following break in procedures. Oil pressure is 15-20 psi hot at idle. Manual said its supposed to be 6 psi. But after reading other posts in the forum, this might not be a concern. I'm using the amazingly expensive PS-4 synthetic oil. Fresh filter change after break in and the new dowel might help. I'm going to keep the test gauge installed to watch it.

My concern about oil getting up into the head cover is satisfied. I ran it with the cover off and held a paper towel over it. Got a nice oil mist on the towel.

Still have the TPS error code 22 after the wire harness change sadly. This was a problem I had before the engine sucked a rod. I'll post a new thread about this.

Overall the engine sounds and runs smooth through various RPMs. Going to take me a while to get it drivable. I've held off buying other parts in case I was going to scrap the whole thing. Primary clutch for example. I broke the original trying to remove it with a gear puller instead of the right tool.

By the way, these things are annoying to work on. Need a lot of special tools and there is a mix of standard and metric fasteners.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts