Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a new 2012 rzr le with 200 miles on it now and i was cleaning it up after our ride yesterday and thought i would take a look at the air filter. when i took the cover off i noticed there was oil at the bottom of the box. so i got out the flash light and followed the oil up to a breather above the the air filter. i am no mechanic but this doesn't seem right. the machine has 10 hours on it now and i followed the break in religiously. please help!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
There is a breather hose from the valve cover on the engine to the air cleaner box.

Its not at all uncommon to see a bit of oil in the boot between the air cleaner and the throttle body.

I believe the filter on the breather hose can be replaced. I never ran my stock air filter, sold it without looking at it.

But...I don't think you have a problem. And, yes, if you inspect the breather hose you will find about a 1" slit in the hose. Its there on purpose. Polaris says it there in case of freezing. Not sure what that means, but well all got one.

JMO

Pirate

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Vented oil vapors leaving the engine (via the vent-tube) first encounter a course, sponge-like filter as they pass into the air-box canister, where they coalesce and then drip down and collect at the bottom of the canister. So long as the pooled amount of liquid-oil doesn't exceed about a teaspoon or two in volume, then it's normal and you've nothing to worry about. A half-a-cup of collected oil should be considered excessive, and is probably indicative of blow-by at the piston-rings, brought on by ingesting dust or dirt through the intake track. My two-bits...................

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so now i am going to bring up a topic that has been beaten into the ground here. i do ride in dusty conditions. i mean it is a off road vehicle. what's the best way to fix this dust ingestion? obviously polaris has not fixed it yet.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
ok so now i am going to bring up a topic that has been beaten into the ground here. i do ride in dusty conditions. i mean it is a off road vehicle. what's the best way to fix this dust ingestion?......
If you do nothing else, get an OuterWears pre-filter sock to install over your stock Polaris micron filter, which is itself, on later-model RZR's, a quite good and efficient filter. My two-bits........

Cheers

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I would also like to know how the dust is getting by the filter?? I have not see one so please explain how the filter seals to the air box.
Actually, the stock, Polaris micron filter, as supplied on the late-model RZR's is VERY effective at keeping fine dust out of the intake track. The neck of the filter, on the end that connects to the air-box canister, has a plastic compression-ring that serves as a clamp when the neck is pressed onto the mating tube inside the canister. The opening in the neck should be greased (Green Grease or Vasoline) when you install the filter. This will form a tight, leak-free seal between the filter and the canister. Hope this helps.......

Cheers

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thanks BarRZR.

I wonder why they must make everything complicated. Give me a filter with a hole in one end and it should slide onto a pipe inside the air box then the air box cover holds the filter from backing off. That's the way the filter is in my ranger and on a lot of heavy equipment that works in dusty environments. Works great with a good tight seal and is dummy proof.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Thanks BarRZR.......Give me a filter with a hole in one end and it should slide onto a pipe inside the air box then the air box cover holds the filter from backing off.....
You've just described how the filter in your RZR is mounted! You'll see when you open-up your air-filter canister.......

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
10 hours is not to bad. When I got 2011 I had 2 miles on it and 1/4 of oil poured out of the air box. Turns out the dealer had over serviced it. My fault for not checking but thought I had a good dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thinking about buying a ump intake. Would i be wasting my money? I hold on to my machines for a long time and i want this motor to last. A lot of the trails i ride are sandy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you ride dusty environs, you're going to ingest a lot of dust with the intake location in the cab between the seats. This will be aggravated more if you install a windshield. This is a major design flaw that has only been addressed on the XP. Installation of snorkles with dust screens or a prefilter between the seats (termed a "Grumpy Mod" for the first guy to post about it) are your best options IMHO. This link describes the "Grumpy Mod" I did on my machine. There are several variations on this mod and many others have done similar, all with great results. Even with a prefilter, I would run an Outerwears cover over my stock air filter or some prefer "knee high support hosiery" which is a stretch microfiber, about $18 a pair.

http://www.rzrforums.net/projects-how/46960-grumpy-mod-cargo-bed-heat-shield.html

No matter what you choose to do NEVER CLEAN YOUR AIR FILTER WITH COMPRESSED AIR! I believe this is the cause of most top end engine failures. Guys blow out their paper air filters with compressed air and dislodge dust particles embedded in the paper, leaving holes any finer dust particles can pass through. Pretty soon the compression drops and power loss signals eminent top end engine failure. Cheers,

Da Blue Toad:redrzr:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read all about the grumpy mod when i first bought my machine. Planned on doing it some day. Just figured it would void any warranty on the machine. But now seeing the amount of dust and oil in the air box maybe i should just do it right away to protect my "investment "

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
would anyone recommend doing the grumpy mod on a brand new machine? i liked it from the first time i came across it on here. just seems crazy to do on a brand new unit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts