Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a Wix 51358 for my oil changes. I recently purchased a Mobil 1 M1-108A for my wife's SUV and noticed how similar they are in size and the thread is the same. Has anyone used a Mobil 1 M1-108A for their turbo? I know it needs to be a shorter filter due to clearance issues and this is fairly close.

Maybe someone who knows more than me about filters can look them up and chime in because when you cross reference the Wix 51358 is doesn't list the above Mobil 1 filter, it lists a couple of longer ones that I don't believe would work with our clearance. The Mobil 1 would be a tad cheaper and easier to get for me is the only reason I'm asking. Thanks for any help.
Automotive tire Packaging and labeling Font Drink Wood stain

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well actually everyone I've spoke to and gave the Wix 51358 has cross referenced it to filters that are way to long so that's actually that's not the case. I'm wanting to know about the Mobil 1 filter listed and not anything else.

· Registered
'18 XPT
2,672 Posts
A cross reference may not be adequate in any event. I'll let you look into the M1 fitler specs, but here are the three important criteria you need to consider:

#1 Thread type.
#2 Be very careful of o-ring diameter. Our filter base has very little "pad" for the o-ring to seat onto. I would not take anything larger than the Wix.
#3 Physical width size. We also have little extra OD diameter to spare. Certainly no more than 1/8".

As to height, the newer machines, those with the drain lip added to the base, require an even shorter filter. I would not encourage going longer, but I suppose that's your decision to make.

You'll hear a lot of concern about other filter characteristics, but none are all that big of deal.

Now some advice:
It's not like the M1 is a great filter. They consistently test rather "meh". If you're trying to make your life easier, consider standardizing on the little bit shorter one and use it on the wifes car too.

Meanwhile the best filter you can get is the Fram Ulta-guard, Failing that I'd use the Wix or the Purolater well before the Mobile 1. But since Walmart carries the Fram in stock this is all a pretty easy decision.

Might want to glance at this:

Reactions: stewbud

· Registered
'18 XPT
2,672 Posts
Little to hate.

In the race for filtration quality we really care about only two things: Filtrartion as measured by the beta ratio, and flow capacity. I lean towards larger filter so that I'm in bypass when oil is cold the least amount of time possible, but I don't let that influence me much. If you're happy with the nissan filtration, and I assume it's reasonable, why not?

· Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
3,130 Posts
I had a Nissan Titan pickup with the v8 engine. Their filters fit perfectly! Ok haters bring it! LOL
No one is gonna hate on you for what you do to your own machine. Heck, you could bypass the filter all together and no one would care.

the hate comes in when someone does something stupid because they think they know better than the engineers that designed the machine, or just to save a couple pennies. Then, when it blows up, it’s somehow Polaris’s fault for making junk machines.

· Registered
252 Posts
Let’s be honest here. If you change your oil/filter when you are supposed according to your riding style and conditions then a wix/fram/M1 isn’t going to make a difference. Use a filter designed for your machine. Use a brand name filter is all I’d recommend. Better oil should be a priority.

· Registered
'18 XPT
2,672 Posts
duneraz

Respectfully, no sir. you’re twenty years behind. Which is what happens with myths. If you’ll do a little research, even here, you’ll find I’ve done quite a bit of research. You‘ll also find the top two frams,that’s the tough guard and the ultra guard, are presently the most well regarded and tested, filters commonly available.

you may look on bitog, or here, for yourself. here is a start. Try post #2.

in ant event, the old myth you refers to what is often called the “orange can of death”, and a cheapo filter is not this discussion.

Reactions: stewbud

· Registered
'18 XPT
2,672 Posts
Rzrturbo

in the pecking order that’s a fair enough assessment, if for no other reason we care most about cold start wear. However, most significant engine wear beyond cold start is generally found in contaminants in the 2 to 20 micron area. Looking for a better filtration (beta ratio), in this range does reduce that wear. Since it’s cheap to run a better filter, why not?

· Registered
252 Posts
Rzrturbo

in the pecking order that’s a fair enough assessment, if for no other reason we care most about cold start wear. However, most significant engine wear beyond cold start is generally found in contaminants in the 2 to 20 micron area. Looking for a better filtration (beta ratio), in this range does reduce that wear. Since it’s cheap to run a better filter, why not?
I totally agree. Hence me saying a brand name filter.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
The problem is the filter bypass pressure in many auto filters is only 12-14 or 13-15 psi. The one you need is 18-22 psi. Research your filters I use a PureOne which has the correct bypass pressure. Just because something fits doesn't make it your best choice.

The bypass pressure is the delta between the filter media, not the engine itself. If the media is different in makeup or size, this will affect when the flow needs to be bypassed. Just because the media bypass pressure is the same, doesn't mean it is your best choice. ;)

· Registered
'18 XPT
2,672 Posts
Indeed.

I should also add this same focus on 2u to 20u filtration is the same area of concern in air filters. This is why the offroad crowd won't have anything to do with K&N air filters.

· Registered
'18 XPT2
1,480 Posts
duneraz

Respectfully, no sir. you’re twenty years behind. Which is what happens with myths. If you’ll do a little research, even here, you’ll find I’ve done quite a bit of research. You‘ll also find the top two frams,that’s the tough guard and the ultra guard, are presently the most well regarded and tested, filters commonly available.

you may look on bitog, or here, for yourself. here is a start. Try post #2.

in ant event, the old myth you refers to what is often called the “orange can of death”, and a cheapo filter is not this discussion.
Not a myth. Instead of reading reports and claims on the internet, start cutting filters apart and you will quickly start to learn the differences between a good filter and one that claims to be good but isn't.

But, let's be honest, we're talking about oil filters. I agree with the statement that if changed often enough, it most likely won't be a problem either way you choose.

I'll continue to use the filters I mentioned because I've cut many open and know the construction of them and because I buy in bulk to save some money and have a stack of these things sitting on the shelf.

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For what it is worth I had already decided to just continue using Wix 51358 and spoke privately by message with dafish about that but Mobil 1 actually responded to my email inquriy saying "Mobil1 oil filters are only recommended for light duty cars and trucks and are not recommended for off-highway equipment ".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts