Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,111 Posts
Close call.

I see their kit includes 5 plugs. I'm assuming these are replacements for:

1) The engine oil pan drain plug (magnetic, 12mm / 1.5mm with a crush washer), OEM 7052306
2) The front case drain plug (magnetic, 16mm / 1.5 with an o-ring), OEM 2203738
3) The front case fill plug (16mm / 1.5 with an o-ring), OEM 2203739, apparently not magnetic.
4) The tranny drain plug (magnetic, 18mm / 1.5 with an o-ring), OEM 3234756
5) The tranny fill plug (magnetic, 18mm / 1.5 with an o-ring), OEM 3234755 apparently not magnetic.

Am I right?
Are all the Sandcraft magnetic?
Are they all stainless steel?
Did you happen to consider the SATV replacement plugs? ( they seem to only make them for the front case)

I see the Sandcraft is now $120 plus shipping. Roughly $25 a plug. I guess I'm the only guy thinking that's a lot, but I feel like the last magnetic drain plug I bought was under $10 bucks. Something super special about an oil drain plug I don't get?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gotta love some guys, they spend $$$$ on bumpers, whip lights, and several other things, but they complain about $120 for something that’ll help keep your engine (or something critical) in top running condition. Just don’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It's all subjective until its objective.
Yep, And I would rather have a low profile drain plug than a monster head sticking off of it. Hey, maybe a low profile plug with a strong magnet at an economical price!

Now I don’t know much about machining or metal allergy but looks to me there could be money made.

😂 .

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Those metal allergies are the worst kind.
Yeah I know all about those kinds of allergies and it’s pretty bad:

“Metal hypersensitivity is a cell-mediated immune response that can lead to various diseases, including the granulomatous lung disease called Chronic Beryllium Disease. Hypersensitivity to metals also is increasingly recognized as one of the causes of joint replacement failure.”

Now from an engineering perspective, Only if I knew how different metals reacted with each other and how bolt size, thread pitch and torque settings are determined along with the thermal properties of differing metals - for best drain plug applications that is - I might could stand to make some money.

Speaking of drain plugs, do you recommend a rubber o-ring or are you a crush washer kind of guy?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah I know all about those kinds of allergies and it’s pretty bad:

“Metal hypersensitivity is a cell-mediated immune response that can lead to various diseases, including the granulomatous lung disease called Chronic Beryllium Disease. Hypersensitivity to metals also is increasingly recognized as one of the causes of joint replacement failure.”

Now from an engineering perspective, Only if I knew how different metals reacted with each other and how bolt size, thread pitch and torque settings are determined along with the thermal properties of differing metals - for best drain plug applications that is - I might could stand to make some money.

Speaking of drain plugs, do you recommend a rubber o-ring or are you a crush washer kind of guy?
Depends on a couple of things.. Stamped steel or cast aluminum pan? The other thing, which is the most important because you can't forget function, is the simple question of does it seal? I've honestly never had an issue with any drain plug in any application in all my years as long as its not overtightened or cross threaded although the stock steel pans with the drain locations in the bend of the pan left a lot to be desired.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts