Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil level on my dipstick went from just a hair below the full mark down to the add mark in 230 miles. Should I be concerned? I have the ump and check the filter and throttle body regularly. Does not appear to be sucking in any dirt/dust. I have not noticed any power loss and she runs as good as the day I bought it. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Stock 09 motor for the record. I run the polaris synthetic and mobile 1 synthetic oil only.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
first remeber it only holds 2 qts... and if you were doing alot of hard driving they tend to use more oil than normall.....warm it up then top the oil off youll find its about less than a few oz any more is still not real bad but should be watched if its at a 1/2 qt time to keep a eye on it to see if this is a one time thing or getting a little worn out ....

mine uses any were from 2 oz to 1/2 qt per trip......sometimes if i run it at high speed it will leaks out the valve cover breatheir so look up their to see if its doing this on yours.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the imput. Does not sound like an issue based on the fact that they do use SOME oil. Just performed an oil an filter change this morning. Rode her hard yesterday in deep sugar sand. Was letting the wife and step daughter put her through the paces while my a$$ bounced around on a cooler riding shotgun in the bed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oils are prone to volatility which means they will boil off lighter ingredients at engine temp's.

The test for this is: Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)

Not all of the oil companies publish this data that I am aware of but some do.

NOACK Volatility

ASTM D5800 - 08 Standard Test Method for Evaporation Loss of Lubricating Oils by the NOACK Method

NOACK volatility determines the evaporative loss of engine oils. This test is important because the operating temperatures of an engine will typically drive off the lighter ends of a lubricant while in service. This effectively results in pushing the viscosity of the lubricant to a more viscous level (up) and, as a result, fuel economy goes down due to an increase in parasitic load.

The evaporation loss is of particular importance in engine lubrication. Where high temperatures occur, portions of an oil can evaporate. Evaporation may contribute to oil consumption in an engine and can lead to a change in the properties of an oil.
These are not ATV oils but I link to it as an example of what I am talking about. Look at the volatility rates of these major oils. Petroleum Quality Intitute of America

If you are using oil, change the brand and see if it improves.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I wonder why Polaris wants such a thin oil? I would think a heavier oil would help maybe not. I was thinking bout switching but have use Polaris oils from the beginning no problems yet so im gonna stick with them.

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Putting all the scientific stuff aside, my rzr NEVER burned a drop of oil and it gets flogged.........at 80 hrs, mine started using oil and experienced a little power loss. Took it in for a leakdown, and it got a rebuild (base gasket on up) under warranty. Between 80 hrs and now (153), it does not burn any oil.

Not to start an oil pissing contest, but I use Amsoil 0w-40.......but I had the same results with POPO's oil, too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
AMSOIL is one company that publishes the data on their oils

AMSOIL FORMULA 4-STROKE® POWER SPORTS SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL SAE 0W-40 (AFF)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM 445) 14.7

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 83.7

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 184

CCS Viscosity, cP @ (-35°C) (ASTM D-5293) 6139

Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 226 (439)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -51 (-60)

Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM -5800) 7.3%

Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172B: 40 kg, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 1 hour), Scar, mm 0.35

Total Base Number 10.5

·
Registered
100 Posts
Putting all the scientific stuff aside, my rzr NEVER burned a drop of oil and it gets flogged.........at 80 hrs, mine started using oil and experienced a little power loss. Took it in for a leakdown, and it got a rebuild (base gasket on up) under warranty. Between 80 hrs and now (153), it does not burn any oil.

Not to start an oil pissing contest, but I use Amsoil 0w-40.......but I had the same results with POPO's oil, too.
x2 I'm on my second rzr, 2500 miles on the first and 2000 on my s never down a drop

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you want the real info on oil consumption...HERE IT IS...If you are getting any dust or dirt into the intake it will only be a matter of time that you'll be at the point of using a quart in fifty miles. Also you need to make 100% sure that the breather tube that runs from the top of the head over to the intake tube at the throttle body is clear and clean. Another thing is that make sure that the large air tube from the air cleaner to the throttle body has NO slices or cuts in it. I had to rebuild my engine twice because of these two problems. If you make sure that no dust or dirt gets in and the crankcase vent tube is open you should be good for a long time. As far as the oil to use, The original oil is set up for the engines seals and internal parts like they designed it. I am going to stay with the polaris oil and filters. I have spent alot of money to learn all these things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts