Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

OHV Q&A w/ the Moab City Police Department

55K views 264 replies 59 participants last post by  RWB713 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time for some OHV Q&A with us, the Moab City Police Department! I'm Bret Edge, a sergeant assigned to the patrol division, and I'll do my very best to answer any questions you may have about operating an OHV on the streets in Moab.

I've attached a flyer that was produced by the Moab Area Travel Council that should answer the majority of your questions, including required equipment and basic insurance/registration requirements. If you've got a question the flyer doesn't answer, please leave it here and I'll answer it as soon as possible. Please understand that it may take me a few days due to my schedule but I will always respond.

UPDATE (2/5/17): I attached a document that contains several questions that were either emailed to me or asked here in the forum and our responses to those questions.

UPDATE (3/30/18): Utah State Parks updated the Non-Resident Riders Reciprocity Flyer and posted it to their website today. Here's a link: https://stateparks.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2017/12/NonResOHVFlyer2018FIX.pdf

UPDATE (3/30/18): Here is a direct link to Utah State Code 41-6a-1509, Street-legal all-terrain vehicle -- Operation on highways -- Registration and licensing requirements -- Equipment requirements. (Effective 1/1/2018) https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter6a/41-6a-S1509.html

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's time for some OHV Q&A with us, the Moab City Police Department! I'm Bret Edge, a sergeant assigned to the patrol division, and I'll do my very best to answer any questions you may have about operating an OHV on the streets in Moab.

I've attached a flyer that was produced by the Moab Area Travel Council that should answer the majority of your questions, including required equipment and basic insurance/registration requirements. If you've got a question the flyer doesn't answer, please leave it here and I'll answer it as soon as possible. Please understand that it may take me a few days due to my schedule but I will always respond.

****ADMINISTRATORS: WOULD YOU MIND MAKING THIS A STICKY TOPIC? IT WILL HELP ME TO STAY ON TOP OF QUESTIONS AND WILL MAKE IT EASIER FOR FORUM MEMBERS TO FIND ANSWERS TO THEIR QUESTIONS.****
All set :)

#4 ·
How about a link to which states are reciprocal. According to the flyer I have all of the required things to be legal in Moab but I'm tagged in Montana. If they aren't reciprocal do I just have to buy the trail sticker or is there something else I have to do? We're headed there over spring break.

Thanks
Dwight

#8 ·
Thanks for the question, Dwight. I'm working on it and a whole bunch of other questions. I'm working with the OHV coordinator for the state of Utah to answer all of these questions. As soon as I've got responses I'll post all the questions and our answers here on the forum. Stay tuned...

#6 ·
The flyer states that a windshield is required for street legality or eye protection. Polaris manufactures a half windshield.

Would this satisfy the windshield need or would eye protection still be required?

Here's a link on the windshield in question.

http://rzr.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/windshields/2879504/

Marcus

Reactions: etisdude
#7 ·
The flyer states that a windshield is required for street legality or eye protection. Polaris manufactures a half windshield.

Would this satisfy the windshield need or would eye protection still be required?

Here's a link on the windshield in question.

Half Windshield | Polaris RZR

Marcus
A half-windshield does satisfy the equipment requirement.

#19 ·
I posted a Q&A document as an attachment to my original post in this forum. It contains several questions that I received here and via email, and our responses to those questions. Please give it a look!

#20 ·
Heads up! If you're planning to attend the Rally on the Rocks UTV event in Moab this May, please stop by our booth to say "hi". I'll be there along with representatives from the BLM and the state of Utah OHV coordinator. Hope to see you there!

#21 ·
Thanks for posting here Officer Edge!! :)

I have a question that I am unsure of the answer. I have been reading all of the Utah information but it is unclear to me (sorry if it is listed and I can't find it), some time ago Governor Ritter ( BOO!! ) removed reciprocity from the surrounding states here in Colorado.

Is there a legal way for Coloradans to have a street legal machine operate in Utah/Moab. More and more trails are being closed here in Colorado and more and more we are just preferring to ride in Utah and surrounding states anyways.

Can you offer any information for the folks here in Colorado?

#22 ·
#23 ·
Colorado doesn't currently allow OHVs to be licensed as street legal.

Colorado also doesn't reciprocate with other states on OHV permits. To ride trails in Utah, we have to purchase a Utah OHV sticker.

I think what Shane is asking, as are many other visitors, is could Moab pass a law like Idaho and Wyoming have, that allow out of state residents to buy a license plate? Even a ten day pass or something similar that would allow residents of states that don't allow us to be street legal, to ride on the street in town. We would still have to have a horn, turn signals, insurance, etc, but to those of us that can't transport our OHV to a trailhead, it would make it easier to get around town.

It would also resolve the issue of unlicensed vehicles driving around town. It could, thru inspections, stop vehicles that don't have the required equipment from getting a license plate.

#25 ·
Okay, thanks for the clarification. That isn't something that could be accomplished at the local level. Vehicles are licensed through the state, so any program like this would have to be implemented at the state level, and as of now, it isn't an option.

#24 ·
Thanks for the clarification Bill!! :)

That is exactly what I was getting at. It would be a really great thing to be able to go to the PD (or designated facility) get an inspection and get a plate/sticker for operation in Utah/Moab. I for one would be willing to do this because I ride Moab at least 3-5 times a year. I already carry insurance as well as the safety equipment is just a good idea anyways! :ride:

#29 ·
Not sure if this will apply but motorcycles must have lighted turn signals in all 50 states to be "street Legal" but can still use hand signals to make turns..
I am betting that the lighted turn signals would be a requirement to drive at night for motorcycles..

#31 ·
#32 · (Edited)
Jlnash spoke about motorcycles which is why I posted that link. There is another section that talks about all vehicles being required to have turn signals, but I find nothing that states they must be used.

Best I can tell, you have to have turn signals to be legal, but you can still use hand signals. I would think that would apply to OHVs also since the section is traffic code and even speaks to bicycles. Hopefully MoabPD will comment.

#37 ·
Yes, it is legal to operate an OHV on the road from the Hell's Revenge exit back to the entrance to the HR trail. As you travel up Sand Flats Road from town you'll cross over a cattleguard just before the dirt parking lot at the Hell's Revenge trail exit. From that cattleguard UP the road, or toward Sand Flats Entrance Booth, it is legal to operate vehicles with only an OHV sticker. From the cattleguard DOWN the road, or toward town, all vehicles must be street legal. Please remember that the speed limit is 25 MPH.

FYI: We patrol that area heavily so please watch your speed and remain on the portion of the road designated as legal for OHV operation. If you see me up there, be sure to wave and/or say "hi"!

#40 ·
We appreciate your business in our community, whether you're riding an OHV or a mountain bike. I'm a mountain biker myself and have been riding in Moab since the Dark Ages, i.e. 1999. Pretty tough to beat our local trails!

#42 ·
Here is a question for you. I have a RZR 800 that I have decided to convert to street-legal (currently in Salt Lake County). I have a Silent Rider supplemental exhaust silencer (https://www.atvsilencer.com/the-sil...-800-09-14-w-no-bumper-no-adapter-needed.html) on it so that I'm as quiet as possible.

I know that a lot of the complaints people have about our machines is how loud they can be.

Can you see any problems registering/inspection-wise with that on?

#43 ·
That's a great question and I wish I could answer it for you but I have no idea if it would or would not pass inspection. I'd recommend visiting an inspection shop and ask them the same question. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. Please let us know what you find out!

#44 ·
I just wanted to post an update for this. I asked the DMV what I needed to go from OHV to Street-Legal ATV and they said the current registration, safety inspection showing the street-legal components, and my ID.

I checked around and a lot of shops in the SLC area are not familiar with the procedures for street-legal ATV's. Dekra at 865 South State (east side of the street) has a guy named Greggory that knows what to do (even more so today).

He did the safety inspection and printed it out and it was watermarked ATV (not "Street-Legal ATV"). He called over to DMV and they confirmed that as long as it says ATV and shows the street-legal items (mirrors, turn signals, horn, license plate light, etc.) that is is the correct form to register as Street-Legal.

It didn't require emissions, but he had no issue with the ATV Silencer.

$7.00 and done deal. We'll be heading to Moab sometime before the end of the year.

#46 ·
My wife & I would love to come ride in the Moab area but in Texas you can't register an OHV for street use. Only City workers or Law Enforcement can use an OHV on the streets. Or a Farmer or Rancher only traveling 25 miles from residence.
Screwed up thing is that OHVs must be titled....
I guess us Texicans are out of luck in Utah. Unless I'm missing something.
We would have to trailer our Razor to the trails.

#54 ·
I live in New Mexico and we now have street legal riding in some counties, but New Mexico does not issue license plates, instead they simply issue a second registration and sticker for "On Highway Use". If I have everything else required will I be legal in Moab with just the "On Highway registration and sticker?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.