Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if i just didn't search good enough, but i'm having a hard time finding a good switch solution. My new lightbar came with a small switch that i'd need to make another hole in my dash to accomadate, when i've got open switch positions available next to my other switches. I'm looking for a switch and rocker that would be backlit (preferable blue) to know that it's the lightbar. And two more switch positions, one that would indicate that i'm running with DRLs and the third position that would indicate i'm running full brights.

I can say that i haven't been out with it yet to know if it's blatantly obvious between the two settings. I'm surprised there aren't any standard switches to cover this type of lightbar. I could get a standard headlight switch, but it says headlights on the rocker. Am i overthinking this and just don't realize that i'm trying to do something stupid? Thanx or any and all input.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've never seen a switch with 3 sets of lights to get what you want. So you'd need to pick one of the three (backlight, DRL, or light bar) to not have an indicator light. If you have to have all three, I'd recommend a standalone LED and wire that for the DRL to act like a dummy light. Something like below, although that doesn't avoid making another hole in the dash.

https://www.amazon.com/Taiss-Indicator-Engine-Yellow-F-010-FDJ-Y/dp/B097SFBKVH

·
Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE, 2015 XP1000. Sold 2013 800s LE, 2015 XP1000
874 Posts
Clarification. My three way switch is not backlight like my other switches. It still only has two bulbs. I have it wired so lights are off, function on and function and backlight are on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you everyone for your responses!! yeah, OTRATTW didn't have what i was hoping to find, but i guess i'll need to come up with either a 2 LED scheme (Off=bottomLED, On1=topLED, On2=bothLEDs?) with the OTRATTW dpdt, or do what CrazyElecE suggests and hook up a third 'brights' light above the dpdt switch to be the 3rd indicator light. thanx again all. i'm still surprised they don't already make a standard rocker switch for this application.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
thank you everyone for your responses!! yeah, OTRATTW didn't have what i was hoping to find, but i guess i'll need to come up with either a 2 LED scheme (Off=bottomLED, On1=topLED, On2=bothLEDs?) with the OTRATTW dpdt, or do what CrazyElecE suggests and hook up a third 'brights' light above the dpdt switch to be the 3rd indicator light. thanx again all. i'm still surprised they don't already make a standard rocker switch for this application.
I'd say it stems from the max 10 pins on a standard switch. When everything is independant 10 pins limit you to 2 switches and 2 lights.

Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Diagram

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say it stems from the max 10 pins on a standard switch. When everything is independant 10 pins limit you to 2 switches and 2 lights.

View attachment 696484
I totally understand. They're limited by their limitations should they choose to do so. A simple DIP switch or two and a third separate backlight would definitely allow more options outside of the existing internal/pin-out package that all the manufacturers don't want to expand on. I guess there's not enough of a market to tweak the design for, understandbly. Would love to have backlight separate from and in addition to switch position lights. Thanx again CrazyElecE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i may just get a few of'em and experiment around with making it how i want to. initially thinking all i would need is an extra LED(different color to differentiate?) hooked always to ACC more in middle of rocker to lightly illuminate whole rocker, and the other two LEDs (top and bottom, say blue?) for each switch position to indicate the position of the switch. that sounds mainly easy, although getting a customized rocker to show what i want would be the harder part.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would probably call OTR in your case. They may be able to make you a switch exactly how you want, if not with 3 indicators at least with the custom face. They also may know of other options that might get you what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
How about 2 switches, 1 for DRL and 1 for bright lights?

Reactions: T/O

·
Registered
2019 Rzr Turbo S4
220 Posts
Well my first question would be: why not run the DRL's to a keyed power source (through a relay) so they act as proper DRL's and then just simply run a regular SPST off/on switch for the light bar. Why do the DRL's need to be on a switch?

Second... if you do want to run the DRL's on a switch like you've stated Otrattw does make what you want. Here's the link - OTRATTW - the Switch Guys Carling Technologies V-Series switches
You would hook up your DRL's to the first on and then jump at wire from pin 3 to pin 10 to turn on the lower LED when the DRL's are on. The light bar would be to the second on and you'd jump pin 6 to pin 8 to turn the upper LED on. Then simply buy whatever rocker you want on the front of it.
Alternatively you could run the lower LED to keyed power so it's always backlit to show the words. Then have the upper LED jumped to pin 3 to turn on with the DRL's. Then when you turn the light bar on you simply look in front of you and it should be blatantly obvious that it's on without requiring an LED on the switch to light up.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Second... if you do want to run the DRL's on a switch like you've stated Otrattw does make what you want. Here's the link - OTRATTW - the Switch Guys Carling Technologies V-Series switches
You would hook up your DRL's to the first on and then jump at wire from pin 3 to pin 10 to turn on the lower LED when the DRL's are on. The light bar would be to the second on and you'd jump pin 6 to pin 8 to turn the upper LED on. Then simply buy whatever rocker you want on the front of it.
Alternatively you could run the lower LED to keyed power so it's always backlit to show the words. Then have the upper LED jumped to pin 3 to turn on with the DRL's. Then when you turn the light bar on you simply look in front of you and it should be blatantly obvious that it's on without requiring an LED on the switch to light up.
So just to be clear after all that, they in fact don't make a switch with 3 independent lights. You know the thing, the OP stated he wanted. Hmmm .... I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
all good points/questions. It's making me question just how i think i'd need and want to use them. with lightbars not allowed to be on at night-time, i can't have the DRLs always on with ACC. Also, i'd need to look at the specs, but i'm guessing the DRLs can't be on in conjunction with full LB beams. Here's my thouhgs on scenarios.....
Daytime: i would want DRLs on when driving on roads (which i do a fair amount of in order to get to/from my riding spots), and i think it's probably legal. don't need switch backlight in this situation because it's bright outside and probably couldn't see LED indicators of switch position if on.
Nighttime: when on public roads, don't want the LB on at all since i think even DRLs are illegal. but since it's dark outside, i'd want a backlit switch to be able to know what the switch is for. on non-public roads/trails, i may want to use the not as bright DRLs or full LB depending on situation.

i've submitted my question/request to OTR. haven't gotten an e-mail reply, so need to see if they by chance called and left v-mail (get lots of spam so don't really keep up on v-mail). thanx again for suggestions and all. it's getting the hampster in my skull cranking away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts