Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought that name might grab your attention!!! LOL

They are good belts, just crazy high. Some guys on a Ranger Facebook page made me write this up and I am just spreading it around. I know this is not a Ranger page but if our belt holds up on a XP 1000 then a Ranger 900 is no challenge for it at all and we use the same belt on both!!

https://www.hunterworks.com/hw_polaris_cvt_belts

Stop wasting money on OEM belts!!! We still have some hold outs on what the best belt you can buy is, still too many people saying OEM.

I always ask those on FB that say that if they tried ours, the answer is always they no but have tried other aftermarket belts and they didn't do well.

So if you drive a reliable brand car and then bought a Yugo and it failed, would you not try another brand car or just think all brands are cars are built the same way???

Some vehicles like Rangers and Generals, our belts beat the OEM to death mostly due to use using a thicker and stronger belt.

Hunterworks belts are as good or better than the OEM, less money and have a warranty. Failure rate is just 1%, over 3100 belts sold since June 28th and only 36 failed. For the record, I expect the 36 people who's belt blew not to agree with this statement but lets focus on the other 3000 plus please!!! LOL

I also expect the same 36 people to say so as a comment to this post but once again, remember the nearly 3100 not having issues that are not posting.

This information serves both of us, you save money and get a good belt and I get to eat another day!!

Thanks
Todd

·
Vendor
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes these belts so special?
Not sure how to answer that but in a general answer.

Just the way we make them, they hold up as good or better than the OEM and depending on the model might be way better like say a 900 mostly because it would thicker.

Click the link on the first post there is tech articles there to explain this.

Todd

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Yep. Buy one and install it. Keep the OEM as a spare. If satisfied, buy another as a spare.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
959 Posts
Unfortunately, I bought a Gates as a spare shortly before the Hunterworks belts came out, so I don’t want to toss it or sell it for half price. When my OEM belt fails though, I’ll be buying a Hunterworks.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Toss the OEM, install the Gates, order HWorks as spare! If you break the Gates Carbon, it won't string out like kevlar belts do.

·
Vendor
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toss the OEM, install the Gates, order HWorks as spare! If you break the Gates Carbon, it won't string out like kevlar belts do.

The issue with a gates is, at least for a 1000 is they pull the inside teeth out because he belt is too short, recent discovery of why but this been going on a while. Got an email today as a matter of fact with pics, he didn't say what brand I saw it and ask, gates and he said yes.

Other than that, they are not that bad.

Todd

·
Registered
722 Posts

What's wrong with OEM other than price? I have 2200 miles on my OEM belt in my XPT, my backup is a Gates. I ordered an Ultimax that I'll toss in once I hit 2500 miles.

·
Vendor
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What's wrong with OEM other than price? I have 2200 miles on my OEM belt in my XPT, my backup is a Gates. I ordered an Ultimax that I'll toss in once I hit 2500 miles.
Depends on the vehicle, but the main thing is price. Lets use your turbo, depending on where you buy the belt it is say $160 to $200 so you could save $30 to $60 on a belt that is as good or better and has a warranty.

Let's say you had a 900 RZR say a 16-19 model or a Ranger 900 and the OE belt was around the same as your turbo, saving the same amount and our belt would beat the OEM on those models to death mostly due to thickness.

So anything wrong? Not really, just pricey and depending on model there is a significantly better choice.

If you broke an axle on your turbo, would you buy another OEM for around $350 or so? Doubt it, you would buy as good and most likely better for less.

They just make a ton of profit on axles and belts

Todd

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts

The stock belt and many others are a kevlar/aramid cord construction. They stretch. When it breaks, it "strings out" and the kevlar strings wrap around and around everything that's spinning. Leaving you with a lot of work with a pair of needle-nose pliers, or maybe pulling the clutches where you are to get them clean. And cleaning out the exhaust tube of loose pieces.

This is what is left of a Polaris RZR belt that let go in a WORCS race.

The Gates Carbon uses carbon fiber cords that don't stretch and string out, they just break; is the reasoning I've been told that the Gates Carbon is better than OEM. I can't claim to have any experience; my S900's Gates Carbon has about 2000 miles on it with no issues so far. I put the OEM in the cargo box as a spare.

The whole story from 2017 with the picture linked above: Dirt Wheels: CVT BELTS: Secrets To Keep Your Belt Alive

I searched but couldn't find a picture of a stock belt that strung out. I did see someone by the side of a Paiute Trail spur cleaning the strings out of his Wildcat clutches. Frustrating process. I recommend you take a look at www.Hunterworks.com Tech Articles for proper belt installation and break-in. ([shameless plug]and consider ordering a belt while you're there; I did)

·
Registered
722 Posts

The stock belt and many others are a kevlar/aramid cord construction. They stretch. When it breaks, it "strings out" and the kevlar strings wrap around and around everything that's spinning. Leaving you with a lot of work with a pair of needle-nose pliers, or maybe pulling the clutches where you are to get them clean. And cleaning out the exhaust tube of loose pieces.

This is what is left of a Polaris RZR belt that let go in a WORCS race.

The Gates Carbon uses carbon fiber cords that don't stretch and string out, they just break; is the reasoning I've been told that the Gates Carbon is better than OEM. I can't claim to have any experience; my S900's Gates Carbon has about 2000 miles on it with no issues so far. I put the OEM in the cargo box as a spare.

The whole story from 2017 with the picture linked above: Dirt Wheels: CVT BELTS: Secrets To Keep Your Belt Alive

I searched but couldn't find a picture of a stock belt that strung out. I did see someone by the side of a Paiute Trail spur cleaning the strings out of his Wildcat clutches. Frustrating process. I recommend you take a look at www.Hunterworks.com Tech Articles for proper belt installation and break-in. ([shameless plug]and consider ordering a belt while you're there; I did)
Were you compensated to write that? LOL

I’ll take that advice along with my 11,500 miles of combined RZR experience and countless CVT ATV experince into consideration.

I’ll also take my Ultimax with 3 Year Warranty into consideration and keep my Gates as a backup to my now used OEM belt as backup

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Nah, no cussin' and no pissin'!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I replaced my OEM brand new belt with Gates Carbon to get rid of the belt whine worked great keep the OEM for spare

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Vendor
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced my OEM brand new belt with Gates Carbon to get rid of the belt whine worked great keep the OEM for spare

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
It does that because it is too short and too wide, when running it at higher speeds can pull the inside teeth out because it being too short gets pulled down into the secondary clutch center and pulls the teeth out.

The shorter and wider is spreading the secondary clutch apart at rest compared to the oe or ours so it stabilizes the clutch and the noise goes away.

So while it is quiet you run it fast very long it comes apart.

Todd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts